Everyone trying 1B

RZNJ

First, Santander was taking groudballs at 1B.   Now I see Vavra is and Henderson is doing the same at Norfolk.   Wasn't there one more?

I suppose this is mostly in anticipation of Nevin being replaced but is it also a wakeup call to Mountcastle about getting his time cut?

• Upvote 1

First of all, the Orioles value versatility.  They want their players to be able to play lots of positions.

Secondly, yes this is a referendum on Mountcastle.  The Orioles are going to bring up Gunnar.  It sounds like that’s a definite.  I’m guessing Stowers as well.

They are going to need to be able to move guys around and play guys everywhere.  If Mountcastle was performing at a high level, they wouldn’t be looking to bench him at times.

But he hasn’t been that good, so I think that is part of this.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, the Orioles value versatility.  They want their players to be able to play lots of positions.

Secondly, yes this is a referendum on Mountcastle.  The Orioles are going to bring up Gunnar.  It sounds like that’s a definite.  I’m guessing Stowers as well.

They are going to need to be able to move guys around and play guys everywhere.  If Mountcastle was performing at a high level, they wouldn’t be looking to bench him at times.

But he hasn’t been that good, so I think that is part of this.

Sure, but the timing is interesting to say the least.

I think both Hays and Mountcastle are going to start losing at bats. Which means more at bats for Vavra, Henderson, and Stowers, which is a good thing. We also become more versatile in terms of platooning vs. RHP and LHP, in addition to the positional flexibility of guys like Adley, Vavra, Santander, and Henderson all taking reps at 1B.

Ramon Urias has also been pretty mediocre for a month+. Over the past 30 days, Urias has hit .222 and has an OPS of .606. That's absolutely replaceable. Urias' .700 OPS for the season is nothing special. I think there's room for Jordan Westburg on the roster as well.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think both Hays and Mountcastle are going to start losing at bats. Which means more at bats for Vavra, Henderson, and Stowers, which is a good thing. We also become more versatile in terms of platooning vs. RHP and LHP, in addition to the positional flexibility of guys like Adley, Vavra, Santander, and Henderson all taking reps at 1B.

Ramon Urias has also been pretty mediocre for a month+. Over the past 30 days, Urias has hit .222 and has an OPS of .606. That's absolutely replaceable. Urias' .700 OPS for the season is nothing special. I think there's room for Jordan Westburg on the roster as well.

They are going to bench MLB regulars for kids?  Not going to happen. 

Urias is going to sit who has a plus glove? 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

They are going to bench MLB regulars for kids?  Not going to happen. 

Urias is going to sit who has a plus glove? 

Ok but how many guys do you need to play 1B once a week or once every two weeks.  Vavra, Rutchsman, Henderson, Santander (I bet he looked lousy)?   Why so many?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok but how many guys do you need to play 1B once a week or once every two weeks.  Vavra, Rutchsman, Henderson, Santander (I bet he looked lousy)?   Why so many?

To see, of them, who is really good and who could stick there.   Now I doubt that it's Rutschman or Henderson but you never know.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

To see, of them, who is really good and who could stick there.   Now I doubt that it's Rutschman or Henderson but you never know.

Rutchsman has the most experience there with 30 games in the minors but maybe they don't consider play 1B enough of a rest as opposed to DH on his days off from catching.    Vavra makes a lot of sense.    You know can would have decent range over there and handle the groundballs (probably better than Mountcastle).    It's just a matter of getting used to scooping the throws in the dirt and learning the nuances (cutoff position) of the position.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They need someone to back up Mountcastle. Trying guys out. They can only add 2 more players in September. Are they adding zero pitchers?

This is huge.   Now we can get Gunnar in the lineup while at the same time ensure that Odor doesn't lose a roster spot!   That 0.1 WAR total is hard to ummmmm.....replace.

I mean.  Wait a second. 

Edited by Aglets