Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has a 632 OPs vs lefties and it’s not like we have some easy to hit in right handed hitters park anymore.

.797 OPS for his career.  He's seasoned and even has some playoff experience.  We could potentially start 8 RH with him vs LHP in September.  We don't need Nevin for 3B if Gunnar is up.  Aguillar is a better option than Nevin then as a PH/1b/DH RH bat.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.797 OPS for his career.  He's seasoned and even has some playoff experience.  We could potentially start 8 RH with him vs LHP in September.  We don't need Nevin for 3B if Gunnar is up.  Aguillar is a better option than Nevin then as a PH/1b/DH RH bat.  

Sure.  But I’m not sure how much he would help for this particular season, when he hasn’t been playing well.

He only needs to have 20-30 good at bats of course, so it’s always possible.

Watching the end of Trey unroll, Jesus Aguilar and CJ Cron were the two other solid MLB vets who seemed most similar, whether comparing Arb awards, trade value near FA, and this offseason eventually in FA.

Fortunately for us Trey had a good season for the kind of guy he is, but Aguilar's 2022 is also how seasons can go for R/R good not great hitters with low defensive value.    I feel sure the Economic Analyst will recommend Jesus Aguilar as a probable better $$$/WAR bet for 2023 than Mancini, given likely cost.

Gunnar I could see the stagecraft pushing it to OAK home this weekend, but like many I'll be getting antsy if he isn't here by Sunday.    I accept stripping Mancini and Lopez off this roster because it wasn't "expected" to be good, but for me a logical continuation of that is you had better let Gunnar start figuring out how not to strike out against Alek Manoah in September 2022 before everyone expects more in 2023.

It'd be more aggressive but honestly I feel basically the same about Westburg.   By now we have a fair handle what we have in Urias, and "the data" of how Westburg would fare for a month could be helpful making the best decision for OD 2023.     Even Mountcastle despite his pedigree could be flirting with the Job Loss zone.

26 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

Elias said the other day that the 9/1 call-ups will most likely be one pitcher and one hitter.

You could almost argue we don't need another pitcher given that we have one on our roster who hasn't pitched in 8 days.

Of course we have been getting exceptionally good starting pitching the last week that probably can't continue at that level, and we do have a doubleheader coming up in the first 5 days of September, so I guess it's reasonable to bring up an arm Thursday.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know that his plan probably didn't include Grayson throwing only 56 minor league innings this year so yea, it hasn't worked out well.  The kid glove approach unsurprisingly didn't stop him from getting injured.

I know tis is not the thread's topic, but THIS!!! The Orioles have babied guys like Rodriguez, Hall and Baumler and all they've done is seen them end up injured anyways.

Anyways, on to Henderson, I think everything has been about keeping his rookie status for next year, even once the Orioles were deemed to be wild card contenders. 

I suspect we'll see him promoted before September 1st, but then again, Elias has been pretty unpredictable when he's promoted top prospects. 

The real question is who sits when Henderson comes up? Urias or Odor. I don't think they have enough data on Henderson turning the DP at 2nd base and we know they don't like anyone but Odor there defensive because of his DP turning abilities. 

So I think Odor continues to play and Henderson goes to 3B and perhaps platoons with Urias there for a bit to ease him into the majors. 

Nevin is still on this roster so they have a player they can easily demote or DFA to make room.

Seemed appropriate for this thread - some new BA comments on Henderson

Gunnar Henderson, SS, Orioles

At this point Henderson is as well known a prospect as there is in the minor leagues. Over the last few seasons he’s shown an elite combination of swing decisions (18% chase rate in 2022), impact (107 mph 90th percentile exit velocity) and contact (71.8% contact rate in 2022). With a well-rounded skill set at the plate, Henderson checks all the boxes with athleticism and defensive value. He’s possibly days or weeks away from a call-up to the major leagues, and could provide fireworks immediately.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If the player finishes in the top 2 for ROY, he gets a full year of service regardless of when he started.    If he was on the team for the full year and finishes in the top 3, the team gets an extra draft pick.  

This is where I think Elias screwed up a bit. They should have placed Rutschman on the IL instead of optioning him on April 8th to Norfolk. They then could have sent him on a 30-day rehab and brought him up in early May, just a a few weeks earlier than they promoted him anyways.

Then I would imagine he would have been eligible to earn them a draft pick. If I read your rules correctly, now the only thing Rutschman did this year was burn a full service year once he ends up in the top two of the ROY vote which barring a collapse he should do.

This why playing these games sometimes backfire on teams. Also, how many more wins would the team have with the extra two weeks of Adley? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Low Country Bird said:

Elias said the other day that the 9/1 call-ups will most likely be one pitcher and one hitter.

Fair enough. Though, given the limited use of Nevin, not sure how him being on the roster after Henderson is promoted his more helpful than another pitcher, given the bullpen's fatigue. That said, I wouldn't mind Nevin going down for Henderson and Nottingham added as the 9/1 hitter call up. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Then I would imagine he would have been eligible to earn them a draft pick. If I read your rules correctly, now the only thing Rutschman did this year was burn a full service year once he ends up in the top two of the ROY vote which barring a collapse he should do.

Would he have been eligible?  I've been curious about how to intrerpret the rule.  Are players on IL considered to be on the opening day roster?  

My reading of the Service Time rule would be that they aren't.  But this is addressing a different context.

Each Major League regular season consists of 187 days (typically 183 days prior to 2018), and each day spent on the active roster or injured list earns a player one day of service time.

If the active roster is distinct from the IL as the service time rule seems to imply I don't think he would have qualified being on IL.  The new rules don't include have the or injured list clause that I've seen

Edited by geschinger

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Fair enough. Though, given the limited use of Nevin, not sure how him being on the roster after Henderson is promoted his more helpful than another pitcher, given the bullpen's fatigue. That said, I wouldn't mind Nevin going down for Henderson and Nottingham added as the 9/1 hitter call up. 

I could see that.  Nottingham has quietly had a good year at the plate.  He’s been batting 3rd & 4th just about the entire season for Norfolk and producing.  It’s a shame he isn’t strong defensively.  

Edited by emmett16

Per MLB Traderumors, Arizona is calling up Corbin Carroll, drafted 16th in 2019.  Same draft class as Henderson, but one year older.

He missed 2021 with a shoulder injury so he had less minor league time but is still getting the call.  Elias’s continuing reluctance to call up Gunnar makes less and less sense with every passing day.

Has to be a corresponding move coming. How are you going to play all those guys in the IF?  Ortiz, Westburg, & Henderson as priority plays, but they still have Arauz, Cullen, Martin & Grenier to try and find some time for.  Separate topic....what in the world are they going to do with Arauz?  Looks like some releases coming soon.