I like the human interest tonight

Baltimorecuse

Watkins is turning thirty this week and this is only his second season in the Bigs.  He labored a lot of years to get here.   For Watkins every start must feel like game 7.

Giolito has been around for awhile.  He seems to be in decline.  I'm sure he's fighting like crazy for one more season.

I'm dying to see how it turns out.

I would hardly think that Giolito is fighting to hang on.  He was one of the best starting pitchers in baseball from 2019-2021.  He's only 27 years old.  He's having an off year; it happens.  He'd have to have several more bad seasons before the league gave up on him.  Unless there is a long term injury involved, he will more than likely bounce back next season.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would hardly think that Giolito is fighting to hang on.  He was one of the best starting pitchers in baseball from 2019-2021.  He's only 27 years old.  He's having an off year; it happens.  He'd have to have several more bad seasons before the league gave up on him.  Unless there is a long term injury involved, he will more than likely bounce back next season.  

He's not even a free agent until 2024.  I don't think he's a non-tender candidate.

35 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

You see it all the time with pitchers.  When they lose it, they lose it.  

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

You see it all the time with pitchers.  When they lose it, they lose it.  

This is the type of post that usually generates very negative responses from many of the seasoned posters on this board. It reflects an opinion that is not backed up with facts. Calling on one's extensive prior experience as a baseball fan without providing evidence to support your opinion is usually met with scorn here. I'll be interested to see how you fare.  

13 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This is the type of post that usually generates very negative responses from many of the seasoned posters on this board. It reflects an opinion that is not backed up with facts. Calling on one's extensive prior experience as a baseball fan without providing evidence to support your opinion is usually met with scorn here. I'll be interested to see how you fare.  

If we all agreed only one of us would be necessary.  I didn't say a thing that was negative about his past.  You look at his stats for this season and he should be pitching in Topeka.  The human interest I alluded to was can he reverse the decline.  His real age and pitching age are two different things.  

15 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

If we all agreed only one of us would be necessary.  I didn't say a thing that was negative about his past.  You look at his stats for this season and he should be pitching in Topeka.  The human interest I alluded to was can he reverse the decline.  His real age and pitching age are two different things.  

He looked pretty good last night.

17 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Giolito belongs in Topeka?  He has a few indicators that are down from last year, like his fastball velocity is off one mph, his K rate is down a little.  But he still is striking out three batters for every walk, his HR rate is very similar, he's still striking out over a batter an inning.  His metrics like FIP and xFIP and xERA are significantly better than his ERA.

Really the main difference is that his BABIP, which is highly susceptible to randomness, is .357.  60 or 70 points higher than his career mark.  He would clearly be the Orioles best starter, so Topeka must be killing it.