The Lopez trade is costing the O's wins

Three Run Homer

When Oriole pitching holds a real good team like the Astro to 4 runs in the entire series, I do not put much of the blame for losing 1 of the games on the Pitching.  However, like I said the other day, we really need a big bopper in the middle of the lineup to take the next step and go from  a pretty good team to discussion as a championship team,  considering the prospects that are getting close to helping the major league team.      

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

List which games we win if Lopez is on the roster

(1) We have a good chance to win today if Hyde can bring in someone better than Baker in the 7th inning of a scoreless tie.

(2) August 24.  Baker, Akin and Head give up 3 runs in 2 innings.  O's lose 5-3.

(3) August 18.  Krehbiel gives up 2 runs in 2 IP.  O's lose 3-2.

(4) August 17.  Krehbiel, Perez and Head give up 6 runs in 1 inning.  O's lose 6 runs.

No, we don't win all of those games if Lopez is still on the roster.  Yes, the O's offense has not been scoring runs.  But our starting pitching has been outstanding and gave us a chance to win all of those games, if we had a deeper bullpen.   

People can take cheap shots all they want about how I'm being "reactive" but does anyone disagree with my main points, which are (1) we only have 3 good relievers, and that's costing us games; (2) having 4 good relievers would give us a much better chance to win because we wouldn't have to use our shaky relievers so often in innings 7-9 of close games.   

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It was..but it’s hurt more by Lopez not being here.

That said, you could have this same BP next year and if they pitched to a 5 ERA, no one should be surprised.  Most of these guys aren’t that by good.

I think there'd be some justifiable surprise if the same bullpen that pitched to a mid-3.00s this year had a 5.00 next year without substantial injury or change to personnel. I'll have to look up their FIP, but I'm guessing it's nowhere close to 5.00.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think there'd be some justifiable surprise if the same bullpen that pitched to a mid-3.00s this year had a 5.00 next year without substantial injury or change to personnel. I'll have to look up their FIP, but I'm guessing it's nowhere close to 5.00.

It’s not..it’s 3.67 although that includes Lopez providing a lot of innings.

But they are relievers and things can fluctuate fast and bad innings can greatly effect things. 

This isn’t a talented group.  As a group, they don’t get a lot of Ks and don’t miss bats.  They rely on the defense behind them.  

Put it another way.  Most of the guys in the pen could be DFA’ed by June of next year and it wouldn’t be surprising at all.

9 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

(1) We have a good chance to win today if Hyde can bring in someone better than Baker in the 7th inning of a scoreless tie.

(2) August 24.  Baker, Akin and Head give up 3 runs in 2 innings.  O's lose 5-3.

(4) August 17.  Krehbiel, Perez and Head give up 6 runs in 1 inning.  O's lose 6 runs.

No, we don't win all of those games if Lopez is still on the roster.  Yes, the O's offense has not been scoring runs.  But our starting pitching has been outstanding and gave us a chance to win all of those games, if we had a deeper bullpen.   

People can take cheap shots all they want about how I'm being "reactive" but does anyone disagree with my main points, which are (1) we only have 3 good relievers, and that's costing us games; (2) having 4 good relievers would give us a much better chance to win because we wouldn't have to use our shaky relievers so often in innings 7-9 of close games.   

9 hours ago, accinfo said:

The Orioles are 16-9 since the trade.  What do you think their record would be with Lopez?  I will take that win/loss ratio the rest of the season.

Both of these things can be true.  It's plausible that the Orioles would have 17-18 wins if they'd kept Lopez.  Although in August Bautista has allowed two runs in 13 innings and hasn't blown a save while Lopez has blown two since the trade. So maybe it would even out.  Never hurts to have an additional good pitcher, but Lopez hasn't exactly been Dennis Eckersley.

Hopefully the Elias waiver wire machine keeps cranking this winter.

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

It would be good to get Tyler Wells back in the pen.