Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have to get this idea out of your head that we need or want an IFer.  Neither is true.

And that deal is a huge win for the Marlins.

You may see Lopez for Mullins straight up but Mullins has had a higher WAR and has an extra year of team control.  He should have more value.

What deal are you referring to? Honestly, Jazz and Rojas was tossed in to "spice" up the deal to acquire more. If Lopez is the only target for you guys, Mullins and Westburg is good. I like Mateo, I'm just not sure if this isn't a one year anomaly. I like the speed and glove but his month of September with the bat has been kinda meh. The marlins need hitting at certain positions of need i.e. CF and SS.

For the record, I don't want to trade Jazz but there were only two names that the marlins FO said were untouchable and Jazz wasn't one of them, to my surprise. Jazz is a piece that I thought could entice more of a return. But if there was someone else the orioles would covet, I'm all ears. It doesn't have to be an infielder.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have lots of options.  You could go the "Mateo route" in 2023...IE, hope for some offense and get great defense and go with a platoon of McKenna and Phillips (zero defensive drop off and perhaps an upgrade).  You could sign a guy like Keirmaier.  

As for the leadoff position, I am not that worried about that. If the Os play their cards right and upgrade the offense and bring up more guys, leadoff will take care of itself. The early leader IMO is Cowser.

I like the idea of platooning McKenna and Phillips, but even in a best case scenario, it most likely downgrades the offense. If we did that, we’d have to be improving the bats somewhere else. Either by replacing Mateo with a SS who can hit, or replacing guys like Hays and Mountcastle. Would love to see Cowser come up and replace Hays. 

Just now, Mavericksouth said:

What deal are you referring to? Honestly, Jazz and Rojas was tossed in to "spice" up the deal to acquire more. If Lopez is the only target for you guys, Mullins and Westburg is good. I like Mateo, I'm just not sure if this isn't a one year anomaly. I like the speed and glove but his month of September with the bat has been kinda meh. The marlins need hitting at certain positions of need i.e. CF and SS.

For the record, I don't want to trade Jazz but there were only two names that the marlins FO said were untouchable and Jazz wasn't one of them, to my surprise. Jazz is a piece that I thought could entice more of a return. But if there was someone else the orioles would covet, I'm all ears. It doesn't have to be an infielder.

Mullins AND Westburg for just Lopez?  Yea no.  Thats a pipe dream.  You are overrating Lopez some and this is from someone who has been wanting us to acquire Lopez for about a year.

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I like the idea of platooning McKenna and Phillips, but even in a best case scenario, it most likely downgrades the offense. If we did that, we’d have to be improving the bats somewhere else. Either by replacing Mateo with a SS who can hit, or replacing guys like Hays and Mountcastle. Would love to see Cowser come up and replace Hays. 

Well yea.  You improve in other areas, including the starting rotation.

You could get away with it if you do things properly.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins AND Westburg for just Lopez?  Yea no.  Thats a pipe dream.  You are overrating Lopez some and this is from someone who has been wanting us to acquire Lopez for about a year.

So it's either or? Mullins straight up for Lopez or Westburg straight up for Lopez. Say I took the Westburg path, would you include an additional bat with Westburg for Lopez?

Well yea.  You improve in other areas, including the starting rotation.

You could get away with it if you do things properly.  

For sure. I just don’t like the idea of a lineup with Hays, McKenna/Phillips, and Mateo as the 7,8,9. Probably not getting a lot of runs from the bottom of the order with that lineup. 

Just now, Mavericksouth said:

So it's either or? Mullins straight up for Lopez or Westburg straight up for Lopez. Say I took the Westburg path, would you include an additional bat with Westburg for Lopez?

I'd consider a Westburg for Lopez deal and I would think the O's have to include something else but it wouldn't be a major piece.

That said, I think I would be more inclined to keep Westburg there.  It just depends.  If I had Lopez for 3 years, I would be more willing to do it.

It's certainly fair.  Just a matter of it makes sense from the Os perspective.  Could see the argument either way.

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

For sure. I just don’t like the idea of a lineup with Hays, McKenna/Phillips, and Mateo as the 7,8,9. Probably not getting a lot of runs from the bottom of the order with that lineup. 

Well, for me, Mateo wouldn't be the starter next year and Hays is, at best, the 4th OFer.

Edited by Sports Guy

I'd consider a Westburg for Lopez deal and I would think the O's have to include something else but it wouldn't be a major piece.

That said, I think I would be more inclined to keep Westburg there.  It just depends.  If I had Lopez for 3 years, I would be more willing to do it.

It's certainly fair.  Just a matter of it makes sense from the Os perspective.  Could see the argument either way.

Westburg and Haskin or Prieto for Lopez? You do that deal? 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, for me, Mateo wouldn't be the starter next year and Hays is, at best, the 4th OFer.

Yeah if we can push both Mateo and Hays to the bench for better bats, a McKenna/Phillips platoon in center would be just fine batting 9th. This off-season will definitely be exciting with all these different options.