John and Georgia Angelos have hired Goldman Sachs to assess the prospects for selling the team

Jim'sKid26

3 minutes ago, hutchead said:

And who made that comment?? I only said it is more difficult under the new rules for a general manager to rebuild versus the rules that were in place when Elias performed his rebuild.

Sure dude. You weren't implying that he couldn't have done it without tanking. Riiiiiight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, InsideCoroner said:

I couldn’t disagree more with this. You think he just tanked and got the best draft picks… that’s it? Nothing about dragging the club out of the Bronze Age and into a modern framework, focusing on player development, hiring 10x more analytics people than we had, hiring 5x more international scouting people than we had… none of that? The last four years were tough to endure… but I think Elias had been exactly what we needed.

As Frobby said, the Nats had high picks, but where did that get them? Our farm system has improved exponentially, and not just because of our first- and second-round picks. 

Could we have turned Austin Voth around ten years ago? I highly doubt it. Ten years ago, we would have let Voth go and someone else would have sorted him out. Just like Arrieta.

Gee, did you not read what I said? I said I like Elias and that he's done a great job with the rebuild. My only point is that it's more difficult for a general manager to do what Elias did in the draft today versus the rules in place when Elias did it.

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Sure dude. You weren't implying that he couldn't have done it without tanking. Riiiiiight.

No one said he couldn't do it. I only said the new rule changes put in place make it more difficult going forward than under the rules in place when he did it. And that's the entire point of making those changes. MLB got what they wanted with those rule changes.

1 hour ago, hutchead said:

Gee, did you not read what I said? I said I like Elias and that he's done a great job with the rebuild. My only point is that it's more difficult for a general manager to do what Elias did in the draft today versus the rules in place when Elias did it.

Gosh, I did read it. That wasn’t your only point, though, your first statement said you don’t get why people think he’s as valuable as he is. I do. A lot of people do. The club is in much, much better shape now than when he got the job. Not just from the draft picks, but for all those reasons I mentioned. Duquette was good for the club, but he wasn’t this good. Elias has led us into the 21st century (something long, long overdue) and I think that even if he goes, what he has already put in motion will have positive effects for years to come. I hope he gets the chance to spend the payroll he wants (within reason), not be shackled by ownership, and get this team playing for all the marbles within the next year. 

9 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Gosh, I did read it. That wasn’t your only point, though, your first statement said you don’t get why people think he’s as valuable as he is. I do. A lot of people do. The club is in much, much better shape now than when he got the job. Not just from the draft picks, but for all those reasons I mentioned. Duquette was good for the club, but he wasn’t this good. Elias has led us into the 21st century (something long, long overdue) and I think that even if he goes, what he has already put in motion will have positive effects for years to come. I hope he gets the chance to spend the payroll he wants (within reason), not be shackled by ownership, and get this team playing for all the marbles within the next year. 

Sure, the club is in better shape and I'm so glad that's the case. Elias has done a great job as I've stated before. If anyone has read my posts from the past, I have vehemently defended the job he has done against others who criticized him. I just don't think other clubs are standing in line to write him a blank check to hire him like some people suggest. I don't think we would be where we're at if he had to draft under today's rules. No one can deny that our fortunes turned around when Adley arrived. But would Adley be an Oriole if today's rules were in place in 2019? We don't know but it's extremely unlikely. Also, like I said earlier, no one knows yet how Elias will do in the next important phase of our rebuild. Can he sign the right free agents? Can he make the right trades with our surplus bats for pitching? I certainly hope so but it's no guarantee.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully Lou backs down and stays out of the way so the process of selling the Orioles can happen this off-season. 

As the article stated, (1) for tax reasons it’s hard to sell the Orioles while Peter Angelos is alive, and (2) it’s hard to sell the Orioles until the Nats are sold, since they’re already on the block.   Thus, I will be extremely surprised if the O’s are sold this offseason.  This is more about preparing the market than getting ready for a near-term sale.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As the article stated, (1) for tax reasons it’s hard to sell the Orioles while Peter Angelos is alive, and (2) it’s hard to sell the Orioles until the Nats are sold, since they’re already on the block.   Thus, I will be extremely surprised if the O’s are sold this offseason.  This is more about preparing the market than getting ready for a near-term sale.

The Angels are also looking for new ownership.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When you are talking a billion or so price tag I don't think you limit your market to locals.

Most baseball teams have owners with at least some local ties.  If I’m Mitch Rales, both the Nats and O’s might interest me; the Angels probably don’t.   
(I have no idea if Rales is remotely interested in owning a baseball team, I’m just using him as an example.)  I’m not saying there aren’t some potential owners who just want to get into MLB and are indifferent as to location, but there seem to be fewer of that type.   

22 hours ago, hutchead said:

I don't get all this talk about how valuable Elias is. I mean don't get me wrong - I like the guy and I think he's done a great job with this rebuild. BUT, he rebuilt the Orioles using a tanking strategy that is no longer allowed. I highly doubt he could be as successful building another club.

Also, he has no experience whatsoever in the next important phase of the rebuild - signing the right free agents and trading from among his surplus minor leaguers to fill holes. I hope he can do as well in these areas.

It isn’t just the tanking.  He put together an international presence that we did not have before, one that is in play for top 50 international talent and isn’t afraid to give out 7 figure bonuses.  He also revamped an analytics department that, for all intents and purposes, didn’t exist.  

Multiple outlets that cover prospects, from mainstream Baseball America to fantasy-slanted sites like Prospects Live, speak about the Orioles development system in the same sentences as the Dodgers and the Rays.  That system for years contained people under contract who were part of the “Orioles Way” and were teflon despite many regime changes.  

It wasn’t just “tanking.”  Elias tore down a dinosaur organization to the ground, and rebuilt it completely.  

• Upvote 1