Eliminated

SteveA

28 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I’m not sure i buy this WAR stuff.  How does it take into account clutchiness, or does it just assume an rbi when a team is up 10-0 is the same as an rbi when a team is tied or down a run in the ninth?

Yeah this has always been an issue for me as well. In your scenario, there is no way they should have the same value.  I don’t care about garbage time RBI.  I want to see hits and RBI that move the needle….that change the outcome of the game.

It feels like the last 30 games (save for a few) have been like pulling teeth for the offense to do anything.  Maybe WPA (win probability added) is a better stat.  I don’t know much about that one but I like the idea that when you get your hits and what the game situation is at the time should matter a lot. 

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hell of a season.  Never would have guessed that the Orioles would be playing meaningful baseball into the last week of September.

Need one more win for us to be above .500 and with the Yankees and Jays having already clinched, I think we can get it.  It'd be great to be at 83, 84 wins for the year.

This is where I'm at. I honestly just want 82 wins and the young players playing well. Anything else is gravy for this season.

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

Yeah this has always been an issue for me as well. In your scenario, there is no way they should have the same value.  I don’t care about garbage time RBI.  I want to see hits and RBI that move the needle….that change the outcome of the game.

It feels like the last 30 games (save for a few) have been like pulling teeth for the offense to do anything.  Maybe WPA (win probability added) is a better stat.  I don’t know much about that one but I like the idea that when you get your hits and what the game situation is at the time should matter a lot. 

And the one game we score 10 runs, we allow 11.  (Loud scream insert here)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Doesn't that require you to build in at least two extra days in the schedule to account for a game 163 and travel, meaning the entire four-round playoffs need to be bumped 2-3 days to the right?  And you have to be prepared for a three-way (or more) tie that moves everything to the right at least another couple days on short notice.

Even as it is I don't know how anybody goes to more than a handful of playoff games unless you live near the stadium. I've been to four Orioles playoff games in my life and three involved not going to work the next day.  Going to any playoff game is lots of money and scrambling around for the logistics, I can't imagine the work the assistant to the traveling secretary has to do to plan for the team.  Game 163s makes all of that even crazier.

Well, I never would have added a fourth round of playoffs to begin with, so yeah, eliminating Game 163 is baseball's way of saying, "a playoff spot has never had less value than it does now, so why not let it come down to who was better in interleague play, or whatever."

This has been an incredible season and it has been extremely fun to follow.  It is exactly what we hoped for when Elias was brought on board even though no one was sure when this time would really come.  The fact that it arrived this year made it sweeter.  The Orioles closed out their September schedule with a win in Yankee Stadium that kept alive their slim hopes of playoff baseball.  I would have said that would be the outside best case scenario in March.  

So, as the Orioles season comes to a close, the most important offseason in maybe decades will unfold.   None of us really knows what to expect.  We will dream of course of the Correas and Verlanders of the world and perhaps someone like that will be added.  It is also possible that money could be spent to lock up some of Elias' young birds.  And of course, there could be trades that involve more than fringe assets.  Of course, we are the Orioles...so there could also be the resigning of Zac Britton and nothing else.

But this is certain.  The window is open and the Orioles are in a position to compete.  That does not mean doing so will be easy and next year will bring expectations where this year there were none.  We will have a lively hot stove season.  There has been so much to enjoy this season even as we waited on seemingly countless call ups.  

My hope is that Elias is allowed to be aggressive.  I don't mean necessarily given an unlimited budget, but my hope is that he is allowed to do what he feels is needed.  And for me, he has earned the right to be given the chance to do exactly that.   This next chapter is no easier than the long slow rebuild. Our climb bested only the Redsox.  The AL East is still loaded and the mountain in front of us is high.  

But I haven't felt this good in a long time.  Thanks Mike Elias and thank you Baltimore Orioles.  Now do it again, but better.

• Upvote 2

I remember after our 2018 season that had a win total in the 40s, that a reasonable progression back to being good might be to win in the 50s the next year (we did), then in the 60s in 2020 (our Covid shortened season pro-rated to 64 or 65 wins), then in the 70s last year (we failed) and in the 80s this year (we succeeded).

Last year was a disappointment but this year we got right back on "schedule".

Now shoot for 90 in 2023!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m ready for the offseason to start.

This is going to be a fascinating offseason.

I’m ready, and I’m not.  It’s been a great season and I’ll be sad when it’s over.   At the same time, I agree the offseason should be fascinating.  But the offseason also is painfully slow, so I want to enjoy the daily pace of the season until the last minute.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m ready, and I’m not.  It’s been a great season and I’ll be sad when it’s over.   At the same time, I agree the offseason should be fascinating.  But the offseason also is painfully slow, so I want to enjoy the daily pace of the season until the last minute.  

I’m not ready just yet. I have been getting frustrated with the hitting. 

First order of business to me is guessing about the 40 man roster. Of course that doesn’t have to be in for awhile. Nothing happens until after WS with FA and trades. 

I'm ready for the off-season because the hitting has been driving me nuts for over a month. Almost every game is a monumental struggle to score runs and we have nobody that is even close to hitting for a high average. The leader for our team batting average is Trey Mancini at .268, and he isn't even on the team anymore. We don't even have a part-time player who is any higher.  I realize that offense overall is down and batting average is not the be-all stat that it used to be, but it is still important and it is hard to fathom how not one guy on the team is a high average threat. 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, Chelsea_Phil said:

That makes sense.  Maybe they should play in Manley field house 

Someone said I jinxed the 'Cuse by saying they were going 5-0.  It was 49-0 at the half.  At halftime the Wagner coach asked the last two quarters to be reduced to 10 minutes each.

I never saw that before.