2nd Catcher Upgrade Needed

sportsfan8703

This might be a job for the Rule V scouting crew. They did such a great job picking up pitchers that other teams gave up on, why not a catcher or two? Gotta be some long in the tooth minor league backstops who never really got their chance, just sitting there waiting. KC’s Freddy Fermin, maybe? 

I would sign a non- back up catcher … Christian Vasquez.   Each catch 81 and dh 50 games with 31 games off for other dh.   I would also sign Boegarts with Henderson at SS and Westburg at 2b.   Trade Urias and Hays for pitching depth and sign OF to go with Santander, Mullins, and Stowers.

1 minute ago, WI O’s Fan said:

I would sign a non- back up catcher … Christian Vasquez.   Each catch 81 and dh 50 games with 31 games off for other dh.   I would also sign Boegarts with Henderson at SS and Westburg at 2b.   Trade Urias and Hays for pitching depth and sign OF to go with Santander, Mullins, and Stowers.

My exact thoughts with a TOR pitcher trade for prospects.

38 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

I don't think I want Vazquez DHing very often.  So you want Bogaerts to play 3B?  I wonder if he would sign to do that.

1 hour ago, WI O’s Fan said:

That's a lot of free agents w/o addressing our biggest need, starting pitching.  Urias and Hays together might bring back someone like Lyles.

6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Can you please name any team in baseball that has a backup catcher as the teams highest paid player? And...the best player on the team is the starting catcher?

He’s not a backup catcher. Look at it as signing Adley to play 1B. Adley is catcher 1A. Contreras is catcher 1B. They all rotate at C/1B/DH.

We need a RH bat. 

So instead of giving JD Martinez or Mancini, 10+ million, let’s just give the Contreras the 4/68 and buy Adley’s needed days off.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s not a backup catcher. Look at it as signing Adley to play 1B. Adley is catcher 1A. Contreras is catcher 1B. They all rotate at C/1B/DH.

We need a RH bat. 

So instead of giving JD Martinez or Mancini, 10+ million, let’s just give the Contreras the 4/68 and buy Adley’s needed days off.

Contreras probably gets a lot more than that.

The whole point of having a great catcher is to, you know, let him catch.

The Orioles have the luxury of having the best overall catcher in MLB.  You don’t turn around and turn that luxury into something you put at DH 60+ times a year.

And you don’t spend a ton of money on a back up who essentially becomes a glorified DH.  That’s just an awful use of resources.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole point of having a great catch is to, you know, let him catch.

The Orioles have the luxury of having the best overall catcher in MLB.  You don’t turn around and turn that luxury into something you put at DH 60+ times a year.

And you don’t spend a ton of money on a back up who essentially becomes a glorified DH.  That’s just an awful use of resources.

Thank you.   Case closed.  The Orioles will not be signing a premium back-up catcher.  Makes zero sense.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole point of having a great catcher is to, you know, let him catch.

Adley’s bat is so good though. I don’t want him to have the amount of off days that an everyday catcher needs, and I’m talking about complete off days. I also don’t want to run him into the ground. 

I want to maximize Adley. 

Adley - 100 Catcher, 30 DH, 1B 25, 7 days off

Contreras - 62 Catcher, 70 DH, 20 1B, 10 days off

That’s a great use of resources. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Adley’s bat is so good though. I don’t want him to have the amount of off days that an everyday catcher needs, and I’m talking about complete off days. I also don’t want to run him into the ground. 

I want to maximize Adley. 

Adley - 100 Catcher, 30 DH, 1B 25, 7 days off

Contreras - 62 Catcher, 70 DH, 20 1B, 10 days off

That’s a great use of resources. 

No its not.

Having Adley only catch 100 games is awful and signing a back up C for 20+M a year for several years makes no sense.

And let's not overrate the Adley bat quite yet.  He barely hit 250, had poor EVs and hard hit % and he struggled mightily from the right side.

His bat may end up being special but if you take him out from behind the plate, that bat isn't nearly as impactful.

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see any reason to start Adley at first instead of DH.

It's nice that he can do it and all but I'm good with him being a catcher/DH.

I do if Santander and Stowers are on the roster next year. 

I'd be fine with Adley at 1B, Stowers in RF and Santander as DH against tough right-handers, especially if Mountcastle is still on the team.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No its not.

Having Adley only catch 100 games is awful and signing a back up C for 20+M a year for several years makes no sense.

And let's not overrate the Adley bat quite yet.  He barely hit 250, had poor EVs and hard hit % and he struggled mightily from the right side.

His bat may end up being special but if you take him out from behind the plate, that bat isn't nearly as impactful.

Well let's look a little closer. According to BRef:

OPS+ = 128, that means he's 28% better than the average hitter.

Iso = 0.191, that probably goes along with his EV being around 89 mph. Still respectable though.

His oWAR= 4.3 while his dWAR= 1.5. So the majority of his value is offensive. 

I think for a rookie catcher his bat is pretty darn good. 

12 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Well let's look a little closer. According to BRef:

OPS+ = 128, that means he's 28% better than the average hitter.

Iso = 0.191, that probably goes along with his EV being around 89 mph. Still respectable though.

His oWAR= 4.3 while his dWAR= 1.5. So the majority of his value is offensive. 

I think for a rookie catcher his bat is pretty darn good. 

Yes it is.

But for DH and first baseman, the bat isn’t anything elite or special.