"Moves that completely befuddle us" 2022-23 offseason edition

Tony-OH

On 11/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, Tony-OH said:

I don't have a super issue with Cave being deep depth since he is reportedly a good defensive CF who hits left-handed. I'm not sure he will need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft though. 

He does provide immediate insurance for Mullins.

Another roster move …Elias was obviously adding AAA/AAAA catching depth

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Another roster move …Elias was obviously adding AAA/AAAA catching depth

What was the use of this claim then? By claiming a guy and then DFAing them, they are just going to elect free agency because they're pissed you dropped them off the 40-man roster. I mean yeah, the AAA catcher scene was banged up at the time of the claim, but honestly, they should have just pushed Maverick Handley up instead of claiming a guy they weren't intending on competing for the backup catcher's job next year.

This whole claim a bunch of guys and then DFA them makes little sense. Thank God they shored up the services of a 33-year old catcher who can't hit AAA pitching and is not that great of a defender (this is sarcasm in case you didn't know). Of cure he acepte their assignment because he's just thrilled anyone would offer him a split contract at this point in his career with his skill set.

While I think this front office understands what the computer programs tell them, I'm not so sure they get human nature very well. 

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What was the use of this claim then? By claiming a guy and then DFAing them, they are just going to elect free agency because they're pissed you dropped them off the 40-man roster. I mean yeah, the AAA catcher scene was banged up at the time of the claim, but honestly, they should have just pushed Maverick Handley up instead of claiming a guy they weren't intending on competing for the backup catcher's job next year.

This whole claim a bunch of guys and then DFA them makes little sense. Thank God they shored up the services of a 33-year old catcher who can't hit AAA pitching and is not that great of a defender (this is sarcasm in case you didn't know). Of cure he acepte their assignment because he's just thrilled anyone would offer him a split contract at this point in his career with his skill set.

While I think this front office understands what the computer programs tell them, I'm not so sure they get human nature very well. 

I suspect they hoped to sign him to a MiL deal like they did with Bemboom, but couldn’t reach a deal.   By having him on the 40-man they had the exclusive rights to have contract discussions with him to see if they could work something out.  He preferred to test the market.   I have zero problem with it.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I suspect they hoped to sign him to a MiL deal like they did with Bemboom, but couldn’t reach a deal.   By having him on the 40-man they had the exclusive rights to have contract discussions with him to see if they could work something out.  He preferred to test the market.   I have zero problem with it.   

I just think a smart GM with a limited leadership team would prioritize their time with bigger things then trying to get exclusive rights to talk with potential backup catchers.

I do agree with you that this is not a big deal overall, and I'm certainly not suggesting Gallagher is the answer to anything, I just think all of this stuff is a waste of time when these guys are all available in the offseason for minor league contracts with spring training invites.

Saying that, Kolozsvary must be a world class defender behind the plate to be the last guy standing in the great backup catcher market cornering effort by the Orioles FO.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just think a smart GM with a limited leadership team would prioritize their time with bigger things then trying to get exclusive rights to talk with potential backup catchers.

I do agree with you that this is not a big deal overall, and I'm certainly not suggesting Gallagher is the answer to anything, I just think all of this stuff is a waste of time when these guys are all available in the offseason for minor league contracts with spring training invites.

Saying that, Kolozsvary must be a world class defender behind the plate to be the last guy standing in the great backup catcher market cornering effort by the Orioles FO.

I will be surprised if Kolozsvary is on the 40-man when the Rule 5 draft is conducted.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see that Kolozsvary makes it through the winter on the 40 man roster.

Gallagher is at the top of the good field/no hit backup catchers.   That Elias was not willing to offer him arbitration means to me that Elias is looking for a better backup catcher.  One that can field and hit some.   He probably has his eye on a guy or two  that he will try to get through trade.

I also think that DFAing Gallagher increases the chances that Handley is protected.

Edited by wildcard

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Gallagher was an interesting guy. Elias tried to find a way to stash him on a minor league contract. Didn't work out but there was no cost to the team. I have no idea how much time he personally spent on this. It's possible he even delegated to Eve. 

One thing I suspect is going on is Elias was trying to make the most of that prime waiver position while he still can. 

For what it's worth, since the end of the season about a half dozen waiver claims have been made by other teams, including two other backup C's (one of whom was from the Reds, so the O's did not in fact corner the market on Reds backup C's!). Another half dozen or so players have been signed to minor league contracts. Seems like you're trying to see something you want to see here. 

If Owings/Odor were like 9.0/10.0 level of befuddlement, I'd give this about a 3.

• Upvote 1

These backup catcher moves are Elias and company getting a bit too cute in my mind. I think Frobby is right in the intent here is to get catching depth in AAA/AA locked up and using the exclusive negotiation window to do it. But I also agree that it's rather pointless as these types are a dime a dozen. I don't have a problem with any of the moves to date, but it's a lot of wheel spinning for nothing. Kolozsvary is probably only here at this point because they still think they can work something out. When they do (or when they decide they can't) he'll be off the 40-man as well. 

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

One thing I suspect is going on is Elias was trying to make the most of that prime waiver position while he still can. 

I believe the waiver position from the previous season only lasts 30 days into the new season, and from that point forward they use the current season record as of the date the player is put on waivers.   So, about half the league passed on Gallagher before we claimed him.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

These backup catcher moves are Elias and company getting a bit too cute in my mind. I think Frobby is right in the intent here is to get catching depth in AAA/AA locked up and using the exclusive negotiation window to do it. But I also agree that it's rather pointless as these types are a dime a dozen. I don't have a problem with any of the moves to date, but it's a lot of wheel spinning for nothing. Kolozsvary is probably only here at this point because they still think they can work something out. When they do (or when they decide they can't) he'll be off the 40-man as well. 

Aramsis Garcia and Gallagher are arbitration eligible so decision on whether to offer them arbitration had to made before the Nov 18th.    Kolozsvary is a 0-3 service time guy and they don't have to make a decision on him until March 10th or whenever they need the 40 man roster spot.

44 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

My feeling about it is, it’s not like they were able to make other kinds of FA moves over the last month, so why should I care if they spent a few minutes on some moves like this while waiting for the offseason to truly open up?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think a lot of these deals are not handled by the GM, but by folks lower down the rung. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't that Kolozsvary makes it through the winter on the 40 man roster.

Gallagher is at the top of the good field/no hit backup catchers.   That Elias was not willing to offer him arbitration means to me that Elias is looking for a better backup catcher.  One that can field and hit some.   He probably has his eye on a guy or two  that he will try to get through trade.

I also think that DFAing Gallagher increases the chances that Handley is protected.

I don't have an issue with Gallagher being DFA'd honestly. While I do think he's the best of the current options, we can hope that Elias and his staff has better alternatives in mind whether through trade of FA.

I do think Handley is the kind of guy that could get selected since his defense is major league ready.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe they were hoping he’d accept the assignment