O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

Per the Sun article:

But the immediate priority is expected to switch to catcher -- with the club looking at former Oriole Gregg Zaun and likely Hall of Famer Ivan Rodriguez -- and a right-handed hitting first baseman.

This would rule out Hinske and Sean Casey(thank god).

But unfortunately opens the door to (ugh) Kevin Millar and Richie Sexson and rules out Adam Dunn.

Nomar is an intriguing name that comes up...

Another name to look out for is Ty Wigginton...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because that would be sensible.

Seriously, I would love to know the explanation for the move if we bring in one of those guys. Do they honestly think that Millar or Sexson will put up better numbers than Salazar? Is it a move for depth? Would either of those guys sign a minor league deal? Of course, they could be looking at moving Scott or Huff, and the "new 1B" becomes the bench guy.

You know, Sexson sounds awful, but I just went back and looked at his stats and was a beast before '07. He;s been hurt the past two years, but before that produced at a .900+ OPS for 4 or 5 years. He's only 34.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather get Reimold and Montanez some playing time, but Sexson would certainly be better than Millar, Casey or Hinske, IMO

I actually think it will be Millar, for the sole purpose of holding court for a year in which we will not contend. I don't want it, but in my clearer moments, it's what I think will happen.

There are so many better options for 1B. I would hope they would look at going after a RH 1B man via trade then sign any of those guys...

I could live with Wigginton I suppose because he could slide over to 3B when Mora leaves, but anybody else is just a waste of $.

Find a LT option!

There are so many better options for 1B. I would hope they would look at going after a RH 1B man via trade then sign any of those guys...

I could live with Wigginton I suppose because he could slide over to 3B when Mora leaves, but anybody else is just a waste of $.

Find a LT option!

Wigginton does make some sense. He provides the versatility that a short-handed bench would need as well. He can give Mora a day off occasionally as well as play some first base.

I really do not want Sexson.

Find a LT option!

Agreed. I really want a BRob trade to address 1B and 3B, but you never hear much about us being close with anyone.

I still think the O's should strongly consider signing Rocco Baldelli to play 1B next year. I see him as a John Olerud type player - someone who can hit for average and jack 15-25 homers.

I would love to sign Baldelli, but it would have to be an incentive deal, and why would he choose us over Boston?

Archived