O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

I'd be all for signing Ty Wiggington to play 1B or some time at DH and 3B.

I'd really like a deal like this though-

O's Get- Floyd, Votto, and Bailey

White Sox Get- Roberts and Sherill

Reds Get- Dye and Huff + cash

Lineup

1. Freel 2B

2. Jones CF

3. Markakis RF

4. Wiggington DH

5. Votto 1B

6. Mora 3B

7. Pudge/Zaun/Wieters C

8. Reimold/Scott LF

9. Itzuris SS

Rotation

1. Guthrie

2. Floyd

3. Wolf

4. Uhera (sp)

5. Bailey

I think that trade and a couple signings gives us a nice lineup, with some nice place holders that aren't over the hill, and aren't expensive.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. It only works as a 1-year deal at $4-5m. I wouldn't mind a second year vesting option (nothing wrong with having a back-up plus-defender for corner IF spots).

Yeah, something like Jason Giambi's contract (which was a huge bargain BTW - 1 year $4.5 million, with an option next season for $4 million). I'd take that.

Also, I see people that are against these short-term deals - but here's the thing. If our prospects all progress well and we want to contend in 2010 (somehow), whether or not we sign Joe Crede won't make any difference. If we want to contend and think Crede isn't good enough for us, we'll just buy out his option and look at the free agent market (Beltre? Chipper Jones?). If we don't contend, and Crede plays reasonably well, we'll take his option and not have to worry about 3B for another season. The whole time, we'll be hoping that guys like Brandon Snyder and Bill Rowell progress and compete for the position themselves. It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Yeah, something like Jason Giambi's contract (which was a huge bargain BTW - 1 year $4.5 million, with an option next season for $4 million). I'd take that.

Also, I see people that are against these short-term deals - but here's the thing. If our prospects all progress well and we want to contend in 2010 (somehow), whether or not we sign Joe Crede won't make any difference. If we want to contend and think Crede isn't good enough for us, we'll just buy out his option and look at the free agent market (Beltre? Chipper Jones?). If we don't contend, and Crede plays reasonably well, we'll take his option and not have to worry about 3B for another season. The whole time, we'll be hoping that guys like Brandon Snyder and Bill Rowell progress and compete for the position themselves. It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

What you're looking for is the flexability. This market is creating opportunities for short term deals that otherwise wouldn't be there. We should take advantage of them.

I'd be all for signing Ty Wiggington to play 1B or some time at DH and 3B.

I'd really like a deal like this though-

O's Get- Floyd, Votto, and Bailey

White Sox Get- Roberts and Sherill

Reds Get- Dye and Huff + cash

Lineup

1. Freel 2B

2. Jones CF

3. Markakis RF

4. Wiggington DH

5. Votto 1B

6. Mora 3B

7. Pudge/Zaun/Wieters C

8. Reimold/Scott LF

9. Itzuris SS

Rotation

1. Guthrie

2. Floyd

3. Wolf

4. Uhera (sp)

5. Bailey

I think that trade and a couple signings gives us a nice lineup, with some nice place holders that aren't over the hill, and aren't expensive.

The Reds would have to be pretty much the dumbest franchise in history to accept that trade.

Mike Sweeney?

He's just a replacement level player at this point - in other words Oscar Salazar is probably just as good as him.

Intimidator - at first glance that deal looks OK to me. How realistic is it though? I know the Reds want Dye, but don't they value Votto very highly? I can see them being willing to trade Bailey though.

Those guys would cost us more than we'd be willing to pay.

Why do you dismiss Snyder?

Glovework. He was atrocious at 1B in the AFL...

I think Luke Scott could net one of them...

The Mets are running out of options for corner OF.

Archived