FA Target - Jameson Taillon

RZNJ

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree at all.  Elias has built a development organization.  The pitchers already on the team are expected to improve, starters going deeper in games.   I expect Holt and the defense to improve the pitchers that are added through FA, waiver wire or trades.

I think its very possible that the O's are in the top three in the AL in pitching in 2023.

Banking on guys with little or no track record of success like Kremer, Bradish, and Voth to all improve upon career-best showings, and a guy who has never played above AAA to hit the ground running as an above average performer (Grayson), is a recipe for disappointment.

A team that actually intends to compete simply would not do that.

11 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Banking on guys with little or no track record of success like Kremer, Bradish, and Voth to all improve upon career-best showings, and a guy who has never played above AAA to hit the ground running as an above average performer (Grayson), is a recipe for disappointment.

A team that actually intends to compete simply would not do that.

The O's need to trust what they have built and I think Elias does.

Edited by wildcard

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree at all.  Elias has built a development organization.  The pitchers already on the team are expected to improve, starters going deeper in games.   I expect Holt and the defense to improve the pitchers that are added through FA, waiver wire or trades.

I think its very possible that the O's are in the top three in the AL in pitching in 2023.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think they will be top 3 without acquiring a true TOR starter.  Even with one, that would be a stretch.  The O’s allowed 88 more ER than the third place team last year.   I know our pitching improved a lot last year, aided by the new wall, better defense and a lower run-scoring environment.   We are not improving by 88 runs relative to the league next year just through internal improvement.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's need to trust what they have built and I think Elias does.

I remember being soooo certain that Brad Bergesen would be a fixture in our rotation for years to come. Shame how that worked out.

Whoops, sorry for the tangent. I get distracted easily. Anyway, I look forward to watching Kremer, Voth, and Bradish serve as rotation fixtures for us for years to come.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are living in a fantasy world if you think they will be top 3 without acquiring a true TOR starter.  Even with one, that would be a stretch.  The O’s allowed 88 more ER than the third place team last year.   I know our pitching improved a lot last year, aided by the new wall, better defense and a lower run-scoring environment.   We are not improving by 88 runs relative to the league next year just through internal improvement.

I think your true TOR starter for the O's is a fantasy if you think he will be a acquistion.    Kremer 3.23 will go deeper in games.  Bradish continues his 3.28 from the 2nd half.  Grayson puts up a 3.50 for 100 IP.  Voth continues his 3.04 ERA for 130 IP.  Means return for 70 IP with a 3.81 ERA.   Elias adds a starter who pitches  150 innings in the 3.50-3.70 area.   Hall starts at AAA,  gets his act together and comes to the majors pitching 130 IP  over all under 4.00.    Watkins begins in the minors and fills in the rotation as needed at the 4.17 ERA as he did as a starter last season.

Bradish at 175 IP at a 3.28 ERA will be as close to a TOR starter as the O's will need.

What the O's have this year that they didn't last year is pitching depth.   The Yankees were  3rd in the AL with a 3.51 starter ERA and I think the O's can match that in 2023.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think your true TOR starter for the O's is a fantasy if you think he will be a acquistion.    Kremer 3.23 will go deeper in games.  Bradish continues his 3.28 from the 2nd half.  Grayson puts up a 3.50 for 100 IP.  Voth continues his 3.04 ERA for 130 IP.  Means return for 70 IP with a 3.81 ERA.   Elias adds a starter who pitches  150 innings in the 3.50-3.70 area.   Hall starts at AAA,  gets his act together and comes to the majors pitching 130 IP  over all under 4.00.    Watkins begins in the minors and fills in the rotation as needed at the 4.17 ERA as he did as a starter last season.

Bradish at 175 IP at a 3.28 ERA will be as close to a TOR starter as the O's will need.

What the O's have this year that they didn't last year is pitching depth.   The Yankees were  3rd in the AL with a 3.51 starter ERA and I think the O's can match that in 2023.

Awesome!  Everything is going to be best case scenario.  That’s amazing.  I don’t even think the 2023 season should be played.  Just give them the WS trophy now and get ready for 2024!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So basically best case scenarios for everyone!

Sounds realistic.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is an “everything goes right” scenario that will never happen.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

This is an “everything goes right” scenario that will never happen.  

Oh, so Grayson only pitching 100 IP is best case.   Means only pitching 70 IP is best base.   No one having a better ERA then they had last year is a best case.    I don't think so.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

No best case is the O's have a 3.00 overall starter ERA.  This is a realistic take.

Two teams, two, had an ERA under 3.3 last season.

You think the O's joining that group in 2023 is within the realm of possibility?

You know they finished 18th this year right?  Despite the bullpen finishing in the top 10.

Just now, wildcard said:

Oh, so Grayson only pitching 100 IP is best case.   Means only pitching 70 IP is best base.   No one having a better ERA then they had last year is a best case.    I don't think so.

Yea, Grayson only pitching 100 innings is probably best case.  Unless Elias quits part way through the season.

He pitched 75 innings this season, you think Elias is going to turn him loose next year?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two teams, two, had an ERA under 3.3 last season.

You think the O's joining that group in 2023 is within the realm of possibility?

You know they finished 18th this year right?  Despite the bullpen finishing in the top 10.

That is best case.   I don't expect 3.00 ERA.   But the O's will have better depth this year so they don't have to begin the season with Zimmermann in the rotation.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, Grayson only pitching 100 innings is probably best case.  Unless Elias quits part way through the season.

He pitched 75 innings this season, you think Elias is going to turn him loose next year?

For a while.  Then probably makes him an opener to limit innings.

Edited by wildcard