Where will the O's player leadership come from in 2023?

wildcard

Gone are Mancini, Odor, Chirinos and Dad (Lyles).   While these guys statistics in 2022 may not have been great they did lead the O's to a 31 game improvement.  They played a big roles in showing the younger Orioles how to win.  How to set a winning tone.

So who replaces them?   Means will be in ST rehabbing.   When the season starts he may be in Florida or maybe he will rehab in Baltimore.  Who knows?  He has leadership qualities.  But he probably will not be on the 26 man roster until mid season.

Santander, Mullins and Hays have all been with the team for a while.  Do they have leadership qualities?

Adley will lead in his first full year with the team.  Its not veteran leadership but he is a born leader.

How much will Elias consider team leadership when signing FAs or making trades?

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

First, I tend to think the whole leadership and chemistry talk is largely crap.  It's often just feel good nonsense said by teammates and management when there isn't anything positive to say performance wise.  That said I think we have enough quality makeup guys and enough players that have been in MLB for 2+ years to hopefully not feel like we need to bring in another mostly washed up vet to give us 'clubhouse presence'.

These are close knit guys that have come up through the minors with each other, rooting each other on, becoming great friends, etc….the last thing I’m worried about is leadership and chemistry.  This team was pretty close when they weren’t winning, which is a big reason I have always liked Hyde.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Adley is 100% a natural born leader.   Not something I am losing much sleep over.

Adley was already a team leader as a rookie. Also team leadership isn’t something I worry about, build a quality team and leaders will emerge.

Unless you have a squad like the 2011 “fried chicken and beer” Red Sox, I’m not going to worry about a toxic clubhouse.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Gone are Mancini, Odor, Chirinos and Dad (Lyles).   While these guys statistics in 2022 may not have been great they did lead the O's to a 31 game improvement.  They played a big roles in showing the younger Orioles how to win.  How to set a winning tone.

So who replaces them?   Means will be in ST rehabbing.   When the season starts he may be in Florida or maybe he will rehab in Baltimore.  Who knows?  He has leadership qualities.  But he probably will not be on the 26 man roster until mid season.

Santander, Mullins and Hays have all been with the team for a while.  Do they have leadership qualities?

Adley will lead in his first full year with the team.  Its not veteran leadership but he is a born leader.

How much will Elias consider team leadership when signing FAs or making trades?

What do you think?

Elias has said it’s factor.   See the Mad Dog interview posted in the other thread.   

Some people dismiss this stuff.  I don’t.  Too many players and coaches have said it matters.   

What I’d prefer to see is the O’s acquiring some guys who have some leadership qualities who are actually good players.  They’re not mutually exclusive.  

• Upvote 1