“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

53 minutes ago, oriole said:

Bassitt and Lopez might help push the team into a competitive direction but a Bellinger/McKenna platoon would negate that. 

I truly don’t understand why I keep reading about Mullins being traded. There’s no one to take his place, we can get a Lopez-level SP on the market, plus there’s a lot of unknown as to how the larger bases will effect the game and keeping speedy guys seems like a good idea in case it has a significant impact on the game. 

I can appreciate that thought. I think it would be worth it to try for a month or so. I think it would be a gamble worth taking, trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Bellinger, so to speak. Give him a month and see how it goes. If it works out then keep trotting him out there until it doesn't. And when it doesn't the Orioles have Cowser ready to go.

As far as trading Mullins for Lopez. It's simple, I think Lopez would provide more valuable to the Orioles over the next two years than Mullins would over the next three. I think Mullins will continue to regress.

I am advocating for getting a "Lopez level" starter through a trade such as this, and in FA. I would love it if they did something like this and signed Bassit.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who has more trade value, Cowser or Mullins?   Would you trade Cowser for Lopez?

Pros for Cowser vs. Mullins: potentially the better hitter, better arm, six years of team control (3 at pre-Arb prices).

Cons for Cowser vs. Mullins: could disappoint with the bat, not as much range in CF, may need time in AAA.

Cowser has more value to me.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Who has more trade value, Cowser or Mullins?   Would you trade Cowser for Lopez?

Pros for Cowser vs. Mullins: potentially the better hitter, better arm, six years of team control (3 at pre-Arb prices).

Cons for Cowser vs. Mullins: could disappoint with the bat, not as much range in CF, may need time in AAA.

Not that it is dispositive, or that anyone has to agree with it, but Fangraphs ranked Mullins 33rd in all of MLB in terms of trade value when they did their rankings in July (someone probably posted this, but I’ll post again https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-trade-value-31-to-40/). I think Mullins has significantly more value because he is going to provide a baseline of value with his defense and base running. I also don’t every Orioles prospect is going to hit the 90th percentile outcome (I’m not saying that you’re saying this). I think Mullins is the second most important position player on the team behind Adley. I love Gunnar. I think he’s going to be a star, but I think there likely will be some growing pains. Long story short, I value Mullins significantly more and if he is dealt, I would certainly want more than Pablo Lopez for him. 

Hall and Cowser are 2 big question marks for me.  When I say question marks, I mean that in many ways:

1) How good do you truly think they are?

2) Are their deficiencies things you don't feel can/will be fixed?

3) What role do you see them in?

If you believe Hall is a starter in the Snell mold, you don't trade him.  If you believe Cowser is a better version of Markakis, you keep him.

But if you think Cowser will struggle with fastballs in the majors and is definitely a COer and that Hall is a back end reliever, you trade them at a high point and get an elite guy like Burnes.

• Upvote 1

Hall and Cowser are 2 big question marks for me.  When I say question marks, I mean that in many ways:

If you believe Hall is a starter in the Snell mold, you don't trade him.  If you believe Cowser is a better version of Markakis, you keep him.

But if you think Cowser will struggle with fastballs in the majors and is definitely a COer and that Hall is a back end reliever, you trade them at a high point and get an elite guy like Burnes.

54 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

As far as trading Mullins for Lopez. It's simple, I think Lopez would provide more valuable to the Orioles over the next two years than Mullins would over the next three. I think Mullins will continue to regress.

Why would you "expect" Mullins to regress? At age 28 he is entering his prime. Jones played very well in CF and was still hitting at that age. If there is an evidence based reason to expect Mullins to decline, other teams will have that evidence and that will affect his trade value. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why would you "expect" Mullins to regress? At age 28 he is entering his prime. Jones played very well in CF and was still hitting at that age. If there is an evidence based reason to expect Mullins to decline, other teams will have that evidence and that will affect his trade value. 

Historically speaking, this is totally inaccurate.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t believe in Hall as anything more than a BOR starter but hope I’m wrong.   I think Cowser can be a star, whether as a CF, LF, or RF.   He’s got the swing and the look.  Hope I’m right.