Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Said he put too much pressure on himself and rushed his delivery.  Didn’t want to let Grayson down.  I hope someone puts an arm around this guy.  

Oh, it’s all good then. He should be fine coming in in a playoff game with runners on base.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Said he put too much pressure on himself and rushed his delivery.  Didn’t want to let Grayson down.  I hope someone puts an arm around this guy.  

It’s impossible not to root for this guy. Really hope they do whatever it takes to help build his confidence because he clearly has the talent.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Oh, it’s all good then. He should be fine coming in in a playoff game with runners on base.

Guys can learn how to control stress especially if they feel like they have management and their teammates behind them.  Even the best players have likely had times their mechanics broke down due to pressure. 

I've never thought Hyde has had much regard for managing pitchers' psyches. Plenty of people here will tell you tough stuff and that they have to suck it up. Which, okay. But pitchers are fragile, fickle creatures. Most of them don't admit it, but maybe something about Fuji being from Japan frees him from the macho man routine and allows him to be honest about the stresses that pitchers face and how it affects their approach/control.

I realize we only have him for a half season, but if you want this guy to be able to contribute in October, I think you have to build him up. Putting him into these situations could be counterproductive in the long run. I don't think he's a guy who is going to learn from a trial by fire or failing forward.

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

I've never thought Hyde has had much regard for managing pitchers' psyches. Plenty of people here will tell you tough stuff and that they have to suck it up. Which, okay. But pitchers are fragile, fickle creatures. Most of them don't admit it, but maybe something about Fuji being from Japan frees him from the macho man routine and allows him to be honest about the stresses that pitchers face and how it affects their approach/control.

I realize we only have him for a half season, but if you want this guy to be able to contribute in October, I think you have to build him up. Putting him into these situations could be counterproductive in the long run. I don't think he's a guy who is going to learn from a trial by fire or failing forward.

The problem is there is no long run with this guy.  Unless they desire to re-sign him, which right now appears pretty unlikely, he's a rental.

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

The problem is there is no long run with this guy.  Unless they desire to re-sign him, which right now appears pretty unlikely, he's a rental.

I get that, but Hyde has used him almost exclusively in high-leverage situations from the jump. He could've been gradually eased in.

We need someone in the bullpen to be in a position to succeed by October. Cano and Fuji are probably our best shots at that, but both are in their first full year of MLB action. It feels like they don't get the same delicate treatment that starting pitchers do. Cano has been run ragged and Fuji thrown to the wolves, and I don't think either the team or the players are better off for it.

3 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

DI get that, but Hyde has used him almost exclusively in high-leverage situations from the jump. He could've been gradually eased in.

We need someone in the bullpen to be in a position to succeed by October. Cano and Fuji are probably our best shots at that, but both are in their first full year of MLB action. It feels like they don't get the same delicate treatment that starting pitchers do. Cano has been run ragged and Fuji thrown to the wolves, and I don't think either the team or the players are better off for it.

He had a number of good outings in a row.  The issue was not letting him start an inning.  The guy was a starter.  He is wild.  Let him start innings.  The problem for Hyde is that he doesn’t really have any relievers that are good with inherited runners.  But I would have had him at least try someone else.  That said the two hit by pitches were a bit lucky.  The ball just ran in a bit too much.  He also was able to recover afterwards. 

Blue Jays manager after the game:

We know that pitcher and you have to be patient,” said manager John Schneider. “It worked out with a couple hit-by-pitches and him not being around the zone. You take any win you can get. Our guys were ready for him and he just wasn’t in the zone. You’ve got to take advantage of opportunities.

Pulling Grayson there was the wrong call IMO.  Vlad had a professional AB and worked a tough walk.  That was the chance to let Grayson work through it.

Agree with @baltfan that Fuji is probably best starting clean innings given his control issues.  That said, for Fuji to be the guy we hope he can be, he HAS to be able to come into that situation and shut 'em down.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Pulling Grayson there was the wrong call IMO.  Vlad had a professional AB and worked a tough walk.  That was the chance to let Grayson work through it.

Agree with @baltfan that Fuji is probably best starting clean innings given his control issues.  That said, for Fuji to be the guy we hope he can be, he HAS to be able to come into that situation and shut 'em down.

Grayson couldn’t throw anything besides a fastball close to the plate, and was at 26 pitches for the inning - his second high pitch inning for the game.