Lengthy quotes from Elias - 12/7

Frobby

Here’s a long blog from Roch with lengthy quotes from Elias today.  Frankly, I think the tweet from Nathan Ruiz today that quoted a few sentences left a different impression than you get from reading everything he said and putting those statements in context.   So read this and let me know what you think.  
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-prepared-to-leave-winter-meetings-with-roster-moves-pending

• Upvote 1

It's a classic case of reporting before getting all the facts, or intentionally holding back quotes to make a bigger impact - whether that means to make the organization look bad and continue the preceived status quo that the Orioles won't spend.

It's along the lines of the comments made by Ruiz and Connolly, looking to through cold water on the potential of the Orioles attracting free agents to Baltimore.

Looking at the entirety of the comments, it makes me believe that Elias is looking to build something that will last longer than something a free agent can bring.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I did not read:

1. Punting this season

2. Not making anymore significant moves

3.  Not trying to win the division 

1. Why would they say that even if it’s true. 

2. Action speak louder than words. It’s obvious they are shopping at the dollar store.

3. The team needs to score more runs and add a good veteran SP. Gibson was a sideways move. They took a pitcher that probably goes back to the Sox at some point as the shuttle will be difficult with a  flexibility spot missing. The rest of the moves made are just filler moves. Nothing to be mad about but more than likely don’t matter unless your goal is the AAA World Series. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

While Mazara, Cordero and Diaz are all candidates to fill spots on the bench, it seems unlikely any of them would be in the starting nine on opening day if everyone is healthy. So if the Orioles may well seek further left-handed options and are looking to keep things to shorter-term deals, the likes of Joey Gallo, Dominic Smith or Brandon Belt could appeal.

And 

The Orioles did have reported interest in Jameson Taillon before he signed a four-year, $68MM deal with the Cubs, while they’ve also been reportedly interested in top remaining free agent starter Carlos Rodon, as well as Noah Syndergaard. Rodon looks set to a command five or six year deal, which looks to be outside Baltimore’s comfort levels, but it’s certainly possible to see them pursuing someone like Syndergaard on a shorter-term, but still multi-year pact. MLBTR predicted a three-year, $36MM deal for him, while the likes of Ross Stripling and Michael Wacha were both predicted to receive two-year deals which could fit in to Baltimore’s plan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/latest-on-orioles-offseason-plans.html

• Upvote 1

Elias has the right idea.  The system is loaded.  You have to figure out what you have and not block people.  They could use another starter maybe, but if you do then Kremer, Voth, Bradish, or Hall maybe never get a chance to show if they have it.  The end of this coming year, they should have a much better idea of what they have. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

2. Action speak louder than words. It’s obvious they are shopping at the dollar store.

3. The team needs to score more runs and add a good veteran SP. Gibson was a sideways move. They took a pitcher that probably goes back to the Sox at some point as the shuttle will be difficult with a  flexibility spot missing. The rest of the moves made are just filler moves. Nothing to be mad about but more than likely don’t matter unless your goal is the AAA World Series. 

Yup talk is cheap, and it still sounds like a bunch of BS. All signs are pointing to them dumpster diving again and people want to just blindly this crap.

I will remain skeptical until they actually do something and actual improve the team 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Elias has the right idea.  The system is loaded.  You have to figure out what you have and not block people.  They could use another starter maybe, but if you do then Kremer, Voth, Bradish, or Hall maybe never get a chance to show if they have it.  The end of this coming year, they should have a much better idea of what they have. 

And they will miss the playoffs hopefully finish .500 and then go through the same BS next year when they say 'oh our young guys just had off years'

Looking back to 2000 there have been 10 World Series winners that were not in the top 10 team payrolls. Of those teams only the 2003 Marlins were not in the top 20. I don't really care what they spend because it's not my money and I'll support the team either way because I like baseball and I like the Orioles but history shows they'll need to start spending a lot more money if they want to win a World Series.

That being said, winning a World Series doesn't seem to be the end goal here. He didn't mention winning a championship once. He did say they want to be good for a long period of time. It seems to me the end goal is what I've long suspected and that is to become the Tampa Bay Rays.

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

I agree on position players but are we loaded with starting pitching? I don't think so.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I said everything he said was reasonable.  I can't stop you from adding in your speculation which has nothing to do with what he actually said.  

7 hours ago, orioles119 said:

It's a classic case of reporting before getting all the facts, or intentionally holding back quotes to make a bigger impact - whether that means to make the organization look bad and continue the preceived status quo that the Orioles won't spend.

It's along the lines of the comments made by Ruiz and Connolly, looking to through cold water on the potential of the Orioles attracting free agents to Baltimore.

Looking at the entirety of the comments, it makes me believe that Elias is looking to build something that will last longer than something a free agent can bring.

The Orioles don’t need anybody’s help to look bad, I think they are taking care of that all on their own…lol

Why would the reporters who cover the team want the O’s to be bad or not be able to attract Free Agents? That would be self sabotaging. They need/want the O’s to be relevant in order for people to be interested in their work.

59 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Looking back to 2000 there have been 10 World Series winners that were not in the top 10 team payrolls. Of those teams only the 2003 Marlins were not in the top 20. I don't really care what they spend because it's not my money and I'll support the team either way because I like baseball and I like the Orioles but history shows they'll need to start spending a lot more money if they want to win a World Series.

That being said, winning a World Series doesn't seem to be the end goal here. He didn't mention winning a championship once. He did say they want to be good for a long period of time. It seems to me the end goal is what I've long suspected and that is to become the Tampa Bay Rays.

And this friends is my biggest fear. The Rays are not even relevant in their own market.

For those fans who live in this community why would we be rushing to sign up for this? Like how is the Orioles being irrelevant good for the community? 

Good but never great, I don’t think is a good goal. That’s like saying we are striving to settle for being just above average.