Who Dares, Wins.

Jim'sKid26

The Special Air Service essentially created the modern concept of special forces. Their motto is "Who dares, wins." Let's blow the whole thing up.

Offer Carlos Rodon a 5 year contract @ $40M per year. Make him turn down $200M. Give him an opt out after 2 years. 

The O's have the money. 5 years is short enough to not be entirely crippling in the current MLB economy. 

It's time to make things happen.

I'm surprised the pro-put-as-much-money-in-the-Angelo-pockets crowd hasn't shouted you down yet...lol

All kidding aside, you do know there is not a snowballs chance in hades that this is happening right?

The O's have made it clear that they are not interested in spending much money this year... oh I know we have to hold out hope until the end of the offseason to torture ourselves a little longer...lol

29 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The Special Air Service essentially created the modern concept of special forces. Their motto is "Who dares, wins." Let's blow the whole thing up.

Offer Carlos Rodon a 5 year contract @ $40M per year. Make him turn down $200M. Give him an opt out after 2 years. 

The O's have the money. 5 years is short enough to not be entirely crippling in the current MLB economy. 

Lol why not just give him the 7years he wants for 200-210 million. 
Orioles must be trying to model the Ravens in right player at the right price. 

It would be nice to see the front office to make an effort for at least one high priced guy after all the talk of adding quality players. As much as I love the Orioles, I suspect it's nothing more than talk at this point. I'd like to see early, early extensions for a couple of key guys (like the Braves and some others) and a top of the rotation starter in free agency.

I wonder  about his work ethic.  He feels like a Bedard to me.  If he signs the big contract, does he have the incentive and discipline to perform up to the expected level?

I wish I knew the answer to that.  Guys like Verlander and Scherzer - you can just see it - they have a desire to compete at the highest level and want to win all the time.  Alex Cobb made sure he was healthy in the final year of his O's contract.  I doubt that was a coincidence....he had to be healthy for the next contract.

Bedard, for example, lacked the heart to be the best he could be, in my opinion.  I worry that Rodon pitched really well last year, knowing - like Cobb - that he basically HAD to.  Now he's in the driver's seat.  What happens once he gets set for life?  Does he have the Verlander/Scherzer drive?  I wish I knew, but that's my biggest worry with backing up the truck for this guy....especially at a $40/yr price tag.  I'd prefer to spread the risk around to shorter term "show me" contracts, where the pitcher has talent, but must also prove himself for the next deal.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Lol why not just give him the 7years he wants for 200-210 million. 
Orioles must be trying to model the Ravens in right player at the right price. 

Right player right price is absolutely the best approach in the NFL because there is a salary cap and because the draft has such an immediate impact on the pro roster.

In MLB, not so much.  Being cheap just means that your teams underachieve and that your fans are screwed.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

I wonder  about his work ethic.  He feels like a Bedard to me.  If he signs the big contract, does he have the incentive and discipline to perform up to the expected level?

I wish I knew the answer to that.  Guys like Verlander and Scherzer - you can just see it - they have a desire to compete at the highest level and want to win all the time.  Alex Cobb made sure he was healthy in the final year of his O's contract.  I doubt that was a coincidence....he had to be healthy for the next contract.

Bedard, for example, lacked the heart to be the best he could be, in my opinion.  I worry that Rodon pitched really well last year, knowing - like Cobb - that he basically HAD to.  Now he's in the driver's seat.  What happens once he gets set for life?  Does he have the Verlander/Scherzer drive?  I wish I knew, but that's my biggest worry with backing up the truck for this guy....especially at a $40/yr price tag.  I'd prefer to spread the risk around to shorter term "show me" contracts, where the pitcher has talent, but must also prove himself for the next deal.

Wow.

First I've heard anyone question Bedard's work ethic.

I wouldn't think someone that lacked incentive and discipline would keep trying to come back from injuries when he'd already made enough bank to live comfortably.

Crazy that someone who didn't care would be pitching for Rancho Cucamonga at 36 with 26M in career earnings.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow.

First I've heard anyone question Bedard's work ethic.

I wouldn't think someone that lacked incentive and discipline would keep trying to come back from injuries when he'd already made enough bank to live comfortably.

Crazy that someone who didn't care would be pitching for Rancho Cucamonga at 36 with 26M in career earnings.

Thanks for the feedback, Coc. 

I was going from my personal memory based on what I saw, and things I had heard.  Here is an example (link attached below) from a Seattle article....people in the Seattle  baseball world did question his work ethic.   I heard the same from some Orioles coaches that I know personally.

I don't want to argue with you; I just had some recollections and felt he could have been way better, and I personally felt that he lacked heart/desire, which is alluded to in the link.  Maybe is was injury-related.  Maybe he keeps playing because that's all he has to "make bank" in life, and he's still good enough at some level to get paid for it.

For what it's worth, I wanted more than anything for him to be better (and successful) and was a huge fan of his - when he was ON, there weren't many better than him.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/07/22/how-will-history-remember-erik-bedard/

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Thanks for the feedback, Coc. 

I was going from my personal memory based on what I saw, and things I had heard.  Here is an example (link attached below) from a Seattle article....people in the Seattle  baseball world did question his work ethic.   I heard the same from some Orioles coaches that I know personally.

I don't want to argue with you; I just had some recollections and felt he could have been way better, and I personally felt that he lacked heart/desire, which is alluded to in the link.  Maybe is was injury-related.  Maybe he keeps playing because that's all he has to "make bank" in life, and he's still good enough at some level to get paid for it.

For what it's worth, I wanted more than anything for him to be better (and successful) and was a huge fan of his - when he was ON, there weren't many better than him.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/07/22/how-will-history-remember-erik-bedard/

I think the media didn't like Bedard and it showed.

I also think that he got a bad rap for not pitching deeper into games.

Me, I'd rather a pitcher tell his manager he's gassed then try and go out there with diminished stuff.

I think that if he pitched now it wouldn't be a thing.

He was an odd bird but I do think he put the work in.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The irony is, he averaged 6.5 innings a start his final year with us.  That would be considered absolutely heroic today, and was pretty damned good then.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Me, I'd rather a pitcher tell his manager he's gassed then try and go out there with diminished stuff.

I think that if he pitched now it wouldn't be a thing.

He was an odd bird but I do think he put the work in.

This quote came from the article I linked, referencing coaches, so I didn't think it was just the media being unfair.....but your points are well taken, and since this thread is about Rodon, I'll just move on from the Bedard comparison so the Rodon discussion can continue.  I hate it when threads are hijacked, so I'm kind of a bit guilty here.

Departing coaches, in the past, have taken parting shots at Bedard, accusing him of not giving enough or caring enough.

55 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Right player right price is absolutely the best approach in the NFL because there is a salary cap and because the draft has such an immediate impact on the pro roster.

In MLB, not so much.  Being cheap just means that your teams underachieve and that your fans are screwed.  

No doubt. At least with the NFL we can see what the cap is even though it seems to be ways around it. We don’t have insights on how much ownership has given Elias to spend. MLB really needs to do something about it. With the luxury tax, a team like the Mets might out spend us 10-1. Before the season starts we can pretty much pick the teams that will make the playoffs. Maybe one or two will surprise. We just gotta hope we are one of the surprise teams.

14 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $40 million a year for years 3-5 if his chronic throwing arm problems cause him to miss a lot of time and/or perform at a less-than-elite level in years 1-2 and he chooses not to opt out.

Verlander was the guy to pursue if we were going to pay a pitcher $40 million a year, which we obviously were not willing to do and probably never will.

14 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm surprised the pro-put-as-much-money-in-the-Angelo-pockets crowd hasn't shouted you down yet...lol

I don't want to put money the Angelos family's pockets, I simply recognize that Elias is only being given so much money to work with by said family, and gambling an enormous chunk of that allowance on a long-term deal for a guy who has only ever made 30 starts in a season once in his 8 year largely career because of throwing arm issuess seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

Why do you worry about Rodon's work ethic, specifically? I have not read anything that makes me question it.