Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

18 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Why add him in the first place, then? No one is going to be productive in limited at bats. He has had chances to improve, and shown no willingness to do so. That’s the thing. This isn’t a new criticism of him. I guess we’ll just disagree, my friend. I’d rather have them pick up Lewin Diaz again.

Hosmer does make good contact for a big guy, and his exit velos are decent to good. However, he’s an extreme ground ball hitter. He always has been, and he has refused to do so for years. The Orioles do value contact more than in years past, according to Eve Rosenbaum. The Orioles also value defense and flexibility. His defense is limited to 1B, and that is bad these days. To be a DH and occasional 1B, he would need to produce. I just don’t see the net positive impact he would have. 

Every MLB team has a max of 13 pitchers. So a 4 man bench at minimum. Looks like 3 spots are set. Someone if it’s not Hosmer will be playing that role. 

If you like Diaz more that’s fine. All I’m saying is he would play a role here. There is space for him but not space for a ton of at bats. 

As long as the current infield mix is here the Orioles do not have a need for a traditional utility infielder. I would not be worried about Hosmer only playing 1B and DH because it does not harm them. 

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Adley has played first base,about 70 games in college and minors 

Sure. It’s another possibility. I brought up last year a team like the Orioles could benefit from carrying a 3rd C. That’s still hard to do with a 4 man bench.  

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Every MLB team has a max of 13 pitchers. So a 4 man bench at minimum. Looks like 3 spots are set. Someone if it’s not Hosmer will be playing that role. 

If you like Diaz more that’s fine. All I’m saying is he would play a role here. There is space for him but not space for a ton of at bats. 

As long as the current infield mix is here the Orioles do not have a need for a traditional utility infielder. I would not be worried about Hosmer only playing 1B and DH because it does not harm them. 

I understand your thoughts. We disagree about any positive value in that role. So be it.

So, who is your bench? McCann, Urias, Stowers and McKenna are pretty solid right now, I think. One last spot, maybe Vavra. Perhaps there is a trade on the horizon. But as it stands, that is how I see it.

1. Rutschman
  2. Mountcastle
  3. Frazier
  4. Mateo
  5. Henderson
  6. Hays
  7. Mullins
  8. Santander
  9. Stowers
  10. Urias
  11. McCann
  12. McKenna
  13. ? (Vavra)

If McCann is going to get into 80 games or so, then he’ll have to DH and play a little 1B. I can see a LH hitting DH/1B type instead of Vavra. It all depends on what is going to happen in the next few months, and on what the Orioles actually think of Stowers. If Stowers is a legitimate prospect, he needs to be in the lineup for 400-500 at bats. If he gets 150 sporadic at bats this year, he’ll have a bad year. Bringing in a Hosmer type, would certainly take at bats away from someone. Maybe they spread the at bats around, causing Hays and Mountcastle to get less. Stowers would be affected as well. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I would rather give someone like Westburg a chance in a backup role instead of Hosmer.  What is Hosmer at this point, a .700-750 OPS bat limited to 1B,  Westburg could back up 2B and 3B also. 

• Upvote 1