Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The entire point I’m trying to make is that by having better depth there are no excuses to run the Odor’s, Chirinos and Nevin’s on the field as much. That’s the damn point. Nothing more. 

But the players they are signing are guys like that.  How do you not get that?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am ashamed.  Yes or no.  Do you believe it’s possible that Elias, himself, never spoke about acquiring a MOO bat this off-season?

And you change it back!

Good, you might actually be learning something.

Yes as I have already stated it is possible that my memory is faulty and Elias never made the comment.

There you go.

Now are you going to go screen shot this and sequester yourself in a dark room for some quality you time?

Don't forget the lotion.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you change it back!

Yes as I have already stated it is possible that my memory is faulty and Elias never made the comment.

There you go.

Now are you going to go screen shot this and sequester yourself in a dark room for some quality you time?

Don't forget the lotion.

Lotion?  Who needs lotion?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you change it back!

There you go.

Quietly Looks around.... grabs a screen shot

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My only problem with the O’Hearn move relates to picking up his $1.4 mm salary, which is unclear.   As to picking him up for the back of our 40-man roster, I don’t really care.  O’Hearn?  Vallimonr?  Lewin Diaz?  Shrug.  

It may not be crystal clear but it’s pretty clear to me.  The Orioles acquired him and his 1.4M contract. Nowhere did it mention any cash coming back from KC.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My only problem with the O’Hearn move relates to picking up his $1.4 mm salary, which is unclear.   As to picking him up for the back of our 40-man roster, I don’t really care.  O’Hearn?  Vallimonr?  Lewin Diaz?  Shrug.  

The money is peanuts to me. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The problem is that it probably means they are giving him at bats, which are likely to be at the expense of Stowers.

I don’t mind the pick up and the shot at him except for this is all they are doing..taking shots at bad players.

I don’t get why they just won’t acquire good players coming off such a promising season.

Just an awful offseason so far and it’s not likely to get better.

Elias said he didn’t want to count too much on players who spent most of the 2022 season in the minors.  I assume Henderson is the exception but one could even argue they are hedging their bets there as long as Urias, Mateo, and Frazier are all on the roster.  He said he wanted to create as much competition as possible.  I believe, in the end, baseball is still a meritocracy.   We’ve seen big contracts contradict that to some degree but there really aren’t any big contacts on this team.   

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why they just won’t acquire good players coming off such a promising season.

Just an awful offseason so far and it’s not likely to get better.

This is really the bottom line for me.  It has been a bad offseason because they have been too cheap/lazy/surprised by the market? to add good players, when it seemed like that was the goal this offseason.  Why are they incapable of adding good players?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the players they are signing are guys like that.  How do you not get that?

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Better than what they have done.

They go into the season with no safety nets. Stowers and Westburg have guaranteed at bats. They traded off a Urias to free up Westburg. What happens after the first injury? Mateo goes down? Santander? One of the rookies? Who plays? Who fills in? Benboom over McCann, etc. 

The best thing about the position players right now is not that they are flawless, far from it. It’s the options and platoon/part time possibilities. It’s having a Westburg and Cowser in the system. I’m fine if they deal someone but if not for a starting pitcher I don’t see the rush.  

If O’Hearn is a bust he isn’t going to be ran out there are much as an Odor or even for that matter a Nevin. If Frazier has a blah year you have Westburg. You can keep Frazier as a depth move. 

For an 83 win team the 2022 club gave out a good many at bats to below average players. I don’t see that this year. I’m fine risking $12M to give you better options. I’m not saying it makes it ok what they have done with the starting pitching.