2009 Depth chart is released

Tony-OH

Kankovich skipping Aberdeen to become the closer in Delmarva? I predicted him as one of my sleeper picks but i figured him for aberdeen. You know something we don't?

I just look at his age and the amount of success he had last year. I think he can make the jump, but he could very well start the year at Aberdeen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see you drop DHernandez from orange to yellow. I know everybody has him destined to the bullpen, but is there a chance he could be used in the closer role? I still have hope that he will be a viable 3rd or 4th starter in the future. I believe this year will be important for him to harness his command so he could be a starter.

He very well could one day. As you know, I like David's ability to miss bats but I just don't see the endurance and pitching style needed to stay in the rotation. If things break well for him he still could end up a starter, but for now, we have to put him in the category where we think he will most likely end up.

Tony,

Great work on the depth charts! They are my favorite Hangout feature - nothing is better than in the dead of winter seeing your opinions on who will be where on opening day.

I'm thinking that with the very good season Nowicki had, he has to promoted to the Keys and not have a second season at Delmarva.

I think he'll get the chance to compete for a job at Frederick no doubt, and he very well end up there. But he had a similar season to Brandon Tripp when Tripp was at Delmarva and Tripp is still younger. Age hurts Nowicki's prospect status a lot.

Salazar is the kind of guy that passes through waivers all the time. As much as I'd like to see him get a shot to be a bench guy with Baltimore, I think the O's are going to end up going with a 13-man pitching staff which leaves a bench of backup catcher, Freel, and Gomez.

I just think Reimold is going to end up a platoon-type outfielder who may get a chance to get 400 at bats one year and may have a decent 25 homer-run season. I don't see him as a regular option although he still might surprise.

Waters showed me he could be a fifth starter/swingman type. I don't think he'll make the team with Hendrickson now signed, but he's a backup option. It seems strange to say so, but I don't think there's a ton of difference between them on their overall value although I do think Reimold is still higher.

Tony, Thanks for the insight.

I will hold on to my hope for Nolan being a everyday player for a while longer. He had hit lefties before this year just didn't at Bowie. He is righthanded so this is a skill he should be able to master. I think Habor Park is going to be rude to him. I will measure him by his road numbers this year.

I would say there is not much difference between Hendrickson and Water. I still hope Nolan is a much better player than Waters.

Tony, if the Orioles rotation/bullpen gets hit with injuries or inadequacies, who will they pull from Norfolk first? Will someone like Chris Waters get a call up, or would they bring someone up like Bergesen?

Probably depends on a lot of things including spring performance, current performance, and who's in a similar rotations schedule.

Saying that, Waters would be high on the list if he's pitching well because he's been there before. Bergesen is who he is and he's smart enough to not change his style if he gets to the majors, the question on him remains is his stuff good enough to work in the majors as a starter?

I would say there is not much difference between Hendrickson and Water. I still hope Nolan is a much better player than Waters.

I would generally agree, but when you look at the color scheme I have to pick from, I feel he falls in the yellow category until he's able to overcome some of his shortcomings. Remember, I do think he's going to be a major leaguer player, I'm just not sure it will be as a regular major league starter. If anything, I may have Waters too high in yellow, but I think he showed he can be fairly effective as a fifth starter or setup guy. He's probably on the low end of the yellow scale or the high end of the green. The colors are just a generic way for people to take a quick look and see where the top prospects are playing.

Tony -

What is your thinking on why Mickolio will go back to AA? He had pretty good success at AAA last year when promoted, and spent time in 2007 in AAA as well. I'm thinking that with Hoey and McCrory coming off injuries, they are the ones who may move back to AA.

Tony, since you're in "answer mode," how about this one?

Tony, since you're in "answer mode," how about this one?

Sorry Rick, I remember seeing that then forgot to answer. Mickolio could very well start the year in Norfolk but considering that he didn't really dominate AA last year, I thought he would probably start back there again.

Really, I could see any of McCrory, Hoey, Mickolio changing spots even though I see Mickolio as the much better prospect due to the movement on his fastball compared to the others. Hoey might be back at Bowie after missing the year but honestly, when it comes to relievers, Bowie/Nofolk, it really doesn't matter as much.

Tony,

What do you see in Melvin Dorta that makes him on the same level as Reimold? Dorta is 27 and has bounded between AA and AAA for 5 years. He looks like a AAAA from his stats.

I don't. Dorta must be a mistake, he should be a white space, minor league filler guy. That's why I need you guys to find those. Thanks. :D

edited: I updated the chart again.

Overall, I think this year you can really see the results of several years of good drafting and smart trades for prospects are really starting to pay some dividends in the overall strength of our farm system. Last year basically Norfolk had 0 prospects on the roster and this year our top 4 teams all have guys that I will be looking forward to checking the box scores on each morning. The huge glaring weakness remains the lack of Carribean/South American talent (which could make the Bluefield/GCL rosters a lot more interesting) but it appears that ship is being righted as well.

With our weakness in the lower minors it will be interesting to see if we draft a lot of high school players this year.

Archived