2009 Depth chart is released

Tony-OH

The 2009 projected Orioles minor league depth chart has been released for Plus Members: http://www.orioleshangout.com/plus/depthchart.asp

If you wish to purchase a plus membership you can go here.

This is our projection on how we see players starting off in 2009. Let us know if we made any obvious errors. This should be pretty up to date and of course, as always, spring training performance and injuries will obviously effect the chart.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Avery and Hoes are getting the big jump to Delmarva?

Looking at the options, I don't see any reason why the Orioles would not want them to get the extra at bats. There are no prospects in their way and both had solid GCL campaigns. I could see Avery start at Aberdeen or Bluefield even if he struggles in spring training, but after seeing Hoes' plate discipline last year, you have to imagine he could handle Delmarva.

Looking at the options, I don't see any reason why the Orioles would not want them to get the extra at bats. There are no prospects in their way and both had solid GCL campaigns. I could see Avery start at Aberdeen or Bluefield even if he struggles in spring training, but after seeing Hoes' plate discipline last year, you have to imagine he could handle Delmarva.

Agree with regards to Hoes. Personally, I think Welty is better prepared for full-season ball than Avery -- I may be in the minority, there.

I didn't see Bundy?

Great job, Tony - better every year.

A few remarks/questions:

Is there a chance that Tripp or Vinyard end up in Bowie? Seems like the prospect status of both guys would take a serious hit (maybe that's happened already) if they repeat Frederick.

Where will Bundy ends up? If healthy and productive, maybe he could get to DelMarva - perhaps in the bp to start the year?

If TButler shows up healthy and productive, would he get to Bowie or would he start in DelMarva regardless?

Are there any reports of Snyder to 3B? Could Waring go to Bowie at 1B then?

The system is still weak in position hitters (particularly in the OF - thankfully, we have young, quality major leaguers in the OF), but looks much better than in years past.

Tony,

Great work on the depth charts! They are my favorite Hangout feature - nothing is better than in the dead of winter seeing your opinions on who will be where on opening day.

I'm thinking that with the very good season Nowicki had, he has to promoted to the Keys and not have a second season at Delmarva.

Agree with regards to Hoes. Personally, I think Welty is better prepared for full-season ball than Avery -- I may be in the minority, there.

I didn't see Bundy?

Good catch, he'll probably start off in Bluefield although a good spring could see him in Delmarva.

Tony -

What is your thinking on why Mickolio will go back to AA? He had pretty good success at AAA last year when promoted, and spent time in 2007 in AAA as well. I'm thinking that with Hoey and McCrory coming off injuries, they are the ones who may move back to AA.

Great job, Tony - better every year.

A few remarks/questions:

Is there a chance that Tripp or Vinyard end up in Bowie? Seems like the prospect status of both guys would take a serious hit (maybe that's happened already) if they repeat Frederick.

Don't really consider them prospects anymore. They will go where the spots are between Frederick and Bowie.

Where will Bundy ends up? If healthy and productive, maybe he could get to DelMarva - perhaps in the bp to start the year?

I think the Orioles will start him off in Bluefield but a great spring could find himself in the Delmarva competition.

If TButler shows up healthy and productive, would he get to Bowie or would he start in DelMarva regardless?

He didn't pitch much in 2008 and the results were not great. I think he's looking at Delmarva all year unless he dominates and then perhaps a look at Frederick by year's end.

Are there any reports of Snyder to 3B? Could Waring go to Bowie at 1B then?

The Orioles seems content with him at first base and have not shown the inclination to move guys around in the minors that much, especially during a year. Waring misses too much to make a two level jump.

Just some thoughts:

Based on last years numbers, Norfolk looks like a dynamo this year. Lots of talent throughout. Big pitchers like Tillman, Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez... the outstanding Perez in the bullpen and big bats like Reimold, Montanez, Salazar and Wieters. I expect the whole team to be somewhat dismantled by the MLB ASG, but either way... very nice.

Bowie looks absolutely terrible in the outfield, some nice names in the infield. Patton, Erbe and Arrieta is a pretty solid 1-2-3, I would hope that the offense steps up to help them out a little bit.

Actually, now that I think about it... all of the top 4 teams have outstanding pitching rotations, whereas last year only 3 teams (excepting Norfolk) had good pitching. Does this mean in 2010 and beyond we can hope for good pitching to break through to the bigs? I think it does.

Archived