2009 Depth chart is released

Tony-OH

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, I was surprised that Kyle Hudson doesn't even get early potential purple, given that he was just drafted and fairly high, at that. Is he really already minor league filler this early in his career?

I noticed that too, and thought it was weird since I believe Hudson was an 'early potential' on last year's chart. Maybe it's because he missed so much playing time?

Tony, I was surprised that Kyle Hudson doesn't even get early potential purple, given that he was just drafted and fairly high, at that. Is he really already minor league filler this early in his career?

I wouldn't call him filler yet, but he doesn't really rate as an early potential guy after some of the reports I've gotten on him. I probably should have another color for no real evaluation yet.

Tony, your feelings on the upside potential of four guys in our system. Moreland, Welty, Nowicki, and Kraig Binnick. All of them had their moments last year but none are highlighted as anything to look forward to. Thanks.

Tony, your feelings on the upside potential of four guys in our system. Moreland, Welty, Nowicki, and Kraig Binnick. All of them had their moments last year but none are highlighted as anything to look forward to. Thanks.

Moreland had a nice little year but he's a low round draft pick who will need to continue to put up sparkling numbers as he moves up the chain to get any notice. His command seems to be outstanding so I will be keeping an eye on him on 2009. Welty is a favorite of Stole, but his ugly K-BB ratio and penchant for striking out in the Appalachian league leave me with major concerns. Nowicki had a nice year at Delmarva but he was 25-years old which makes him ancient for his league. The high K's and low BB totals lead me to believe he'll struggle at higher levels. Binnick is a good little player, but again, he does nothing that stands out. He's a good organization outfielder though and solid minor league sign.

While both cases may turn out to be true, it's hard to see how Tim Bascom can warrant starting the year at Bowie after a very poor year at Frederick and not much better in the HWL. Also, I'd bet on Miclat at Frederick and Florimon back at Delmarva, although I could be wrong on that one too. Florimon didn't hit a lick at Delmarva. I doubt there's anyone in baseball who thinks Florimon is a more advanced hitter than Miclat. I guess that O's might want to start Miclat at Delmarva and just put anyone at SS for Frederick. Still, I'll be shocked if it turns out that way.

I've heard that Bascom might actually end up in the bullpen this year but he'll get a chance to start. I've also heard that Beato might be given a chance at Bowie's rotation despite his year last year.

As for Miclat, I would personally have him at Frederick but I know how Stockstill does things and his cautious nature suggests Miclat will start at Delmarva. Plus, I've heard the O's are serious about moving Florimon to Frederick. I completely agree with you that Florimon can't hit a lick and I would not be surprised to see some veteran eventually signed to just play SS at Frederick. I'd personally rather see Miclat at Frederick and Rosa at Delmarva, but it doesn't fit the Orioles MO.

Archived