Kostka: Os need to follow a different path

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, LTO's said:

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/11/14/ramifications-of-rookie-of-the-year-voting-for-mariners-braves-orioles-guardians-and-cardinals

Nope. No compensation goes to any team besides the ROY's club. There was talk that the #2 and #3 finishers (which Adley was anyway) would receive an extra draft pick in the proposed international draft. That obviously never materialized. Adley does get a full year of service time, however. Good for him!

Interesting.  That’s the first I’ve heard that the comp picks for players finishing 2/3 in ROY was tied to a prospective agreement to an international draft.   

The article claims to quote the new CBA, but I’m not aware that the new CBA has been published anywhere.   The old one is still available on the MLBPA’s website but I’ve never seen the new one.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.  That’s the first I’ve heard that the comp picks for players finishing 2/3 in ROY was tied to a prospective agreement to an international draft.   

The article claims to quote the new CBA, but I’m not aware that the new CBA has been published anywhere.   The old one is still available on the MLBPA’s website but I’ve never seen the new one.

Yep, first I'd heard of it.

6 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

True enough... but trades sometimes yield "brown squishy" results too.   To wit:  The White Sox gave up Fernando Tatis Jr. to get James Shields from the Padres.   

No doubt there have been some bad trades...

But when picking players off the waiver wire... the selection pool is comprised of players that weren't wanted.

When trading for players, the selection pool is generally perceived to be high enough quality to be value for value.

In general, You're probably going to get a better product getting something out of the window in front of the store, than out of the dumpster behind it.

But I'm sure there are people who will overpay for either.

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/11/14/ramifications-of-rookie-of-the-year-voting-for-mariners-braves-orioles-guardians-and-cardinals

Nope. No compensation goes to any team besides the ROY's club. There was talk that the #2 and #3 finishers (which Adley was anyway) would receive an extra draft pick in the proposed international draft. That obviously never materialized. Adley does get a full year of service time, however. Good for him!

So if Gunnar wins ROY this year he is obviously eligible but also if in Year 2 or 3 he finishes in Top 3 of MVP he nets a pick if I understand correctly.  

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Yeah I just went back and re-read the CBA. Not calling up Adley and no effect on the draft compensation whatsoever. Even if he came back a week or so earlier it would've still easily been Julio. 

Where do you go to read the new CBA?

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Not sure that I understand your point.  Elias couldn't bring Adley up in late 2021 with the expectation that they could get an extra draft pick in 2023 when the CBA with that stipulation hadn't been negotiated or agreed to the year before.  Not trying to be  a jackass here, just trying to get it straight.  

People keep saying this stuff but it was widely known that things were likely changing.  You may not have known to what extent but you knew changes were likely and you knew what the MLBPA was trying to do. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

So if Gunnar wins ROY this year he is obviously eligible but also if in Year 2 or 3 he finishes in Top 3 of MVP he nets a pick if I understand correctly.  

It's my understanding that Adley is too. It's applicable for any season prior to arbitration. Any extension nullifies this I think. 

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

People keep saying this stuff but it was widely known that things were likely changing.  You may not have known to what extent but you knew changes were likely and you knew what the MLBPA was trying to do. 

This is an assumption on your part.  MLB and the MLBPA were barely talking at that point and we’re negotiating on many of the most contentious subjects right up to the last minute.  Knowing that changes were coming is far different from knowing this particular change was coming.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

This is an assumption on your part.  MLB and the MLBPA were barely talking at that point and we’re negotiating on many of the most contentious subjects right up to the last minute.  Knowing that changes were coming is far different from knowing this particular change was coming.

Right..as I said, you didn’t know what changes but you knew changes were coming.  Thank you for reiterating what I said.  :D

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..as I said, you didn’t know what changes but you knew changes were coming.  Thank you for reiterating what I said.  :D

This is why people hate engaging with you.  You only address half of a post and ignore the half that called you out for saying things out of context.  Technically, you're right, Elias knew "changes" of some general nature were coming.  But you remain wrong (edit out "full of crap") if you believe he knew that this specific change was coming.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A lot of opinion and assumption.

Adley staying down in '21 secured the #1 Pick last year ("22).  Him not being on the roster opening day cost a year of service time.

It was a gamble that paid dividends and exacted a cost.  

In hindsite, it could have been worked differently to get a better result.

That is almost always the case.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

This is why people hate engaging with you.  You only address half of a post and ignore the half that called you out for saying things out of context.  Technically, you're right, Elias knew "changes" of some general nature were coming.  But you remain wrong (edit out "full of crap") if you believe he knew that this specific change was coming.

Well, I hate engaging with people with a complete inability to read, flat out lie and/or can’t comprehend things. 

Show me where I say he knew what the specific changes were going to be.  Go ahead show that to me.  I’ll be waiting.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I hate engaging with people with a complete inability to read, flat out lie and/or can’t comprehend things. 

Show me where I say he knew what the specific changes were going to be.  Go ahead show that to me.  I’ll be waiting.

If all we knew was that "changes are coming" how would that have been actionable so as to justify playing Adley earlier? Wouldn't the sensible thing be to wait and see what the changes are before wasting service time that could potentially cost team control? Playing Adley in '21 makes sense only if you knew that ROY would get a pick, and even then it doesn't make that much sense.

• Upvote 1