MLB Execs: Gunnar is the favorite for Rookie of the Year

Frobby

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I honestly think Grayson Rodriguez should be number two in this voting. 

Sigh...

Y'all need to slow your roll, other teams have good young players too.

We don't even know if Grayson will start the year in the majors or how many innings he'll be allowed to pitch.

In the last ten years five pitchers have won Rookie of the Year.

One of them had an OPS of 925 as a hitter.

One of them was in 2020.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sigh...

We don't even know if Grayson will start the year in the majors or how many innings he'll be allowed to pitch.

One of them was in 2020.

True but...  Only 5 players received AL ROY votes and all of them have a case as well.  So not a big deal to think Grayson is a legit ROY contender as well.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sigh...

One of them was in 2020.

I was basing it on the fact that Rodriguez is a higher rated prospect than any of the others on the list. Also, Volpe isn't expected to start for the Yankees and there isn't an open rotation spot for Hunter Brown on the Astros. I think the chances of Rodriguez making the opening day roster and getting more playing time then those two is pretty great. Casas and Henderson are the only players on the list you make a reasonable case for over Rodriguez, because they're both guaranteed playing time. 

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

True but...  Only 5 players received AL ROY votes and all of them have a case as well.  So not a big deal to think Grayson is a legit ROY contender as well.

I certainly think he could win RoY.  He has that type of talent but should be ranked second?

That's a bit much.

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I was basing it on the fact that Rodriguez is a higher rated prospect than any of the others on the list. Also, Volpe isn't expected to start for the Yankees and there isn't an open rotation spot for Hunter Brown on the Astros. I think the chances of Rodriguez making the opening day roster and getting more playing time then those two is pretty great. Casas and Henderson are the only players on the list you make a reasonable case for over Rodriguez, because they're both guaranteed playing time. 

So if Grayson played for say the Rangers you'd still think he had the second best chance?

Also, if you want to base your argument around playing time Grayson is probably going to be on a pretty restricted innings limit.

Thought this was interesting from the “best prospect you’ve ever seen” discussion:

“The most interesting pick? That might be Venezuelan infielder Luis Hernandez, who is slated to be part of the 2026 international signing class.”

So we’re talking about a 13-year old.  

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Grayson played for say the Rangers you'd still think he had the second best chance?

Also, if you want to base your argument around playing time Grayson is probably going to be on a pretty restricted innings limit.

Yes, and some playing time is better than no playing, which is what Brown and Volpe are looking at right now. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I certainly think he could win RoY.  He has that type of talent but should be ranked second?

That's a bit much.

Meh…. It’s somewhere below death/taxes on the certainty scale.  And somewhere above Schilling’s chances at the Hall.  Anyway, carry on splitting the atom.

• Haha 2