Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

Very early but definitely not a good first impression.   I think the odds were pretty long to begin with but I think Krehbiel, Darwinzon, and Politi are all in the competition for the last spot, assuming Hall doesn't get it.    Politie in the lead!

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Very early but definitely not a good first impression.   I think the odds were pretty long to begin with but I think Krehbiel, Darwinzon, and Politi are all in the competition for the last spot, assuming Hall doesn't get it.    Politie in the lead!

Vespi?   Gillaspie?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Vespi?   Gillaspie?

I like Vespi.  I think he's got a decent chance as well.   Gillaspie is hurt by the fact that he has options and Politi doesn't.   Before today, I would have put Krehbiel as the favorite with Politi and then  others if they decide they want a RHP for the final spot.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like Vespi.  I think he's got a decent chance as well.   Gillaspie is hurt by the fact that he has options and Politi doesn't.   Before today, I would have put Krehbiel as the favorite with Politi and then  others if they decide they want a RHP for the final spot.

If Politi does well in ST the O's may want to keep him instead of sending him back which could make him the favorite.   But he has to do well late in camp again better batters.

All the other O's relievers mentioned have options or in Darwinzon case is on a minor league contract.  So they will likely stay in the organization if the end up in Norfolk.

If you believe in "last spot" as a durable thing.     The talent part of the 40-man crunch is over with the return of the 60-day DL.      40-man spots 39/40 for competition are just rented rooms for Pitchers 12-18 who occupy 26-man pitcher roster spots 12 and 13 any given day.     Pitchers with that narrow a talent base probably can and should be matched up series by series.

Norfolk is a far drive, might be more efficient to send Krehbiel to Bowie on days he's down - rent everybody a nice group house near the airport.