International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Nearly lost his balance on a couple of those routine throws. Hope he didn't hurt himself there. Is it my imagination or did he completely miss that second pitch? 

I see a lot of really good 12 to 14-year-old players. If that video is worth 2.3 million, I’m about to join Peter Angeles in boycotting the international market.

“With the Orioles on the international side, they do an amazing job. All the scouts that scouted me and Koby Perez, they do an amazing job. The Orioles are starting to really achieve on the international side – something very exciting for the future. They are building a new academy here coming soon I believe too. Mike Elias is doing a great job in this organization and in the long run this is going to be a great team,” Almeyda said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/more-with-o-s-top-international-signee-luis-almeyda-and-on-sunday-s-announcement

He also said it was an easy choice.   Sounds like he’s a fan!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“With the Orioles on the international side, they do an amazing job. All the scouts that scouted me and Koby Perez, they do an amazing job. The Orioles are starting to really achieve on the international side – something very exciting for the future. They are building a new academy here coming soon I believe too. Mike Elias is doing a great job in this organization and in the long run this is going to be a great team,” Almeyda said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/more-with-o-s-top-international-signee-luis-almeyda-and-on-sunday-s-announcement

He also said it was an easy choice.   Sounds like he’s a fan!

Sure, he's too young to be blocked by Adam Frazier this year.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I see a lot of really good 12 to 14-year-old players. If that video is worth 2.3 million, I’m about to join Peter Angeles in boycotting the international market.

I just watched it again. I think I was seeing a big kid who hasn't grown/matured into his body type yet. I do see physical projection for sure.

Not that its any of our business, but curious what the Almeyda family will do with Ayden now, or how thoroughly 24/7/365 the Orioles engage him.     Today is he already resident in the first operational wing of the DR academy (just speculating there, but if you are building dorms for say 100 kids, some rooms will be finished sooner than others), or does Club control of his housing wait for later?    If so, can he come back to Jersey and his old school if he wants?

Class, this is Ayden, you may remember him from 8th grade.    We hear he's very good at baseball, but he isn't going to get to go out for the team.     

GED or high school diploma a priority at all next couple years, or just focus on your trade because you can always do that later?     It sounds like he might already be a US Citizen, unlike say Samuel Basallo.

Since in this market teams develop relationships over several years before signing day, just wondering were the O's in anyone in the top 50 before Ameyda moved to the DR in 2021? Or if the plan was to sign a bunch of mid six figure guys. I know we won't have any answers.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Not that its any of our business, but curious what the Almeyda family will do with Ayden now, or how thoroughly 24/7/365 the Orioles engage him.     Today is he already resident in the first operational wing of the DR academy (just speculating there, but if you are building dorms for say 100 kids, some rooms will be finished sooner than others), or does Club control of his housing wait for later?    If so, can he come back to Jersey and his old school if he wants?

Class, this is Ayden, you may remember him from 8th grade.    We hear he's very good at baseball, but he isn't going to get to go out for the team.     

GED or high school diploma a priority at all next couple years, or just focus on your trade because you can always do that later?     It sounds like he might already be a US Citizen, unlike say Samuel Basallo.

He was born in Patterson, NJ; he's a US citizen, and it's very difficult for a minor to renounce their citizenship (not suggesting at all he would do so, but that would be the only way he would not be a US citizen). My assumption is he's a dual American/Dominican citizen.

In terms of what he does now? I assume he just does what every other player signed out of the DR with a team does; work out with the club and live at home (it really doesn't sound like the academy is that close to being finished from the veiled remarks from team execs). I'm not sure about schooling, but I assume he's still in school in the DR.

Edited by CharmCityHokie

3 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

He was born in Patterson, NJ; he's a US citizen, and it's very difficult for a minor to renounce their citizenship (not suggesting at all he would do so, but that would be the only way he would not be a US citizen). My assumption is he's a dual American/Dominican citizen.

In terms of what he does now? I assume he just does what every other player signed out of the DR with a team does; work out with the club and live at home (it really doesn't sound like the academy is that close to being finished from the veiled remarks from team execs). I'm not sure about schooling, but I assume he's still in school in the DR.

Put it this way, baseball is clearly his priority.   He’ll do whatever educational program the other kids do.  But I believe his mother is a banker, so education may be more of a priority than with some kids.  

On 1/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, Aristotelian said:

Nearly lost his balance on a couple of those routine throws. Hope he didn't hurt himself there. Is it my imagination or did he completely miss that second pitch? 

He’s gonna be a big guy.  The second pitch looked like a low liner or one hoper to 2b or right side hole.