Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

Im sure if you offer the cash Dunn might take a DH role. I agree with Roch though why not let Dunn play some LF here and there i mean Scott is not going to win any gold gloves either. Dunn can be are own little Manny.

I keep reading statements like this. I prefer the Fielding Bible metrics for defense to the other available ones. I don't think I'm alone here in respecting them. According to them Scott is the # 4 defensive LF in MLB at +12. Maybe someone can explain why these measures are meaningless and Scott is actually a poor fielder.:confused:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not say the worse but, If he is going to bang 40+ Homers I really can careless if he plays LF or 1st half of the month.
He is a gamer he wants to play the field to. Im sure someway the O's can work him into the field 2 or 3 times a week.

He's definitely at the bottom of the bottom in the field defensively.

And why don't you care if he is bad defensively? You realize that is a huge part of the game too, right? He is costing his teams games with his putrid defense. He's estimated at between 1.0-1.5 wins below a replacement level defensively in LF over an entire season, and is worse at 1B.

I keep reading statements like this. I prefer the Fielding Bible metrics for defense to the other available ones. I don't think I'm alone here in respecting them. According to them Scott is the # 4 defensive LF in MLB at +12. Maybe someone can explain why these measures are meaningless and Scott is actually a poor fielder.:confused:
I think the Fielding Bible is ok, but it has a bit too many really weird things that stand out for me to really like it.

That said, I agree with it and you completely about Scott. He's a good defensive LF, quite underrated IMO.

He's definitely at the bottom of the bottom in the field defensively.

And why don't you care if he is bad defensively? You realize that is a huge part of the game too, right? He is costing his teams games with his putrid defense. He's estimated at between 1.0-1.5 wins below a replacement level defensively in LF over an entire season, and is worse at 1B.

I know it's a big part but, he is not going to go out there a commit a error every play. Having him play LF 2 or 3 times a week in your case is giving up a run everygame because of him. Who do we want here? A slugger with no glove? Or a guy that can do little offensive and get a gold glove? We are looking for a DH and if we somehow say we will let you play the field 2 or 3 times a week im sure he will come here. We are signing him for his bat not his glove and if it means letting him play the field a 2 or 3 times a week I have no problem with that. It's okay though we can settle for someone else at DH and let 40+ Homers go and a potential #4 or #5 hitter that can bat infront or behind Kakes and Huff.

I think the Fielding Bible is ok, but it has a bit too many really weird things that stand out for me to really like it.

That said, I agree with it and you completely about Scott. He's a good defensive LF, quite underrated IMO.

What are the wierd things in your opinion? Just curious. I think the idea of watching every play for every player at each position and comparing them is the best way I could think of to do it. You always hear people saying, so and so is a great fielder, why isn't he rated higher, to which the response is, you don't see all the aother guys at his position play every day. Like Nick e.g. Well in this system you do, in a way. get to see evrybody at the same position, play.

Not sure what the weird things are.

Don't they go by the +/- scheme?

If so, that means they've got people studying video of every ball hit there, they score where it went and how he handled it.

They input all that stuff for everybody, and then the db tells them how everybody did.

Makes sense to me. Not sure what's wrong with it. If you can't trust that, what can you trust?

What i\are the wierd things in your opinion,. Just curious. I think the idea of watching every play for every player at each position and comparing them is the best way I could think of to do it. You always hear people saying, so and so is a great felder, why isn't he rated higher, to which the response is, you don't see all the aother guys at his position play every day. Like Nick e.g. Well in this system you do, in a way. get to see evrybody at the same position, play.
There are just a few guys that I really disagree with their rankings. And not guys that I barely ever see, guys I watch quite frequently that I disagree with their rankings.

I don't think you need to watch everybody play regularly to get an idea of what an average LF, RF, or whatever is. You need to watch one specific guy play regularly to have an idea of how he stacks up, but by comparing one guy to the guys he plays against gives a pretty decent idea of the average level for the league.

I can't remember many specific names I disagreed with from the Fielding Bible's ranking, but I remember disagreeing often enough that I take their rankings with a grain of salt. Markakis is one that jumps to mind I think. He's got more range than I think he is given credit for.

The idea for the system at Fielding Bible is a good one, I just don't think they've perfected the implementation enough yet. Certainly better than listening to announcers say some guys is "a gold glover" or "won't turn any heads in the field", but not a stat I feel confidant putting my complete faith in yet.

I know it's a big part but, he is not going to go out there a commit a error every play. Having him play LF 2 or 3 times a week in your case is giving up a run everygame because of him. Who do we want here? A slugger with no glove? Or a guy that can do little offensive and get a gold glove? We are looking for a DH and if we somehow say we will let you play the field 2 or 3 times a week im sure he will come here. We are signing him for his bat not his glove and if it means letting him play the field a 2 or 3 times a week I have no problem with that. It's okay though we can settle for someone else at DH and let 40+ Homers go and a potential #4 or #5 hitter that can bat infront or behind Kakes and Huff.
Dunn costs his team close to 2 wins a year in the field and on the basepaths, according to most estimates.

Sure, he's great at the plate, nobody is arguing that. But his production is mitigated a lot by how bad he is in the field. If Dunn has a .900 OPS and hits 40 HR while playing a terrible left field, he's really probably only provided us with about the same overall production as a guy with an .800 OPS and 25 HR playing a slightly above average LF.

If he's not DH-ing primarily, I have no interest in Dunn.

Dunn is holding out. I haven't heard of anyone interestead in him, outside of the Cubs and they're out of it now. I'm content with waiting awhile. I like his production and price tag, but LF isn't the smallest part of Camden Yards.

What I wonder is he willing to forget the OF and play 1st and DH?

What I wonder is he willing to forget the OF and play 1st and DH?
He's worse at 1B than he is in LF.

DH or bust with Dunn. The Orioles are 100% right on this one. I just hope that if they convince him to DH, they are willing to spend enough to get him here.

Dunn costs his team close to 2 wins a year in the field and on the basepaths, according to most estimates.

Sure, he's great at the plate, nobody is arguing that. But his production is mitigated a lot by how bad he is in the field. If Dunn has a .900 OPS and hits 40 HR while playing a terrible left field, he's really probably only provided us with about the same overall production as a guy with an .800 OPS and 25 HR playing a slightly above average LF.

If he's not DH-ing primarily, I have no interest in Dunn.

But, Dunn has played all of his career on NL teams. Given him the chance to play less LF and more DH don't you think he won't commit as much errors and maybe more offense?

I can't remember many specific names I disagreed with from the Fielding Bible's ranking, but I remember disagreeing often enough that I take their rankings with a grain of salt. Markakis is one that jumps to mind I think. He's got more range than I think he is given credit for.

The idea for the system at Fielding Bible is a good one, I just don't think they've perfected the implementation enough yet.

Well, if they keep track of how the ball is hit and where it goes, and if Nick gets to less of them than somebody else, then how does our observation of (and preference for) Nick provide better information?

I'm not saying that method doesn't have flaws.

However, I can see the flaws of other methods, and I can't see the flaws in that one.

To me, it seems like the right thing to do. But maybe I'm missing something.

Archived