Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter what Dunn wants...What matters is what he can get and what is realistic.

The Orioles could still be calling him up, putting an opening offer of 3/30 on the table and telling him that he will be able to compete to be the everyday first baseman...If his glove is poor there, then he goes to DH.

He may not like it but he also may not get a better offer from anyone either.

Doesn't matter what Dunn wants...What matters is what he can get and what is realistic.

The Orioles could still be calling him up, putting an opening offer of 3/30 on the table and telling him that he will be able to compete to be the everyday first baseman...If his glove is poor there, then he goes to DH.

I agree at some point he's gonna have to decide whether to take smaller offers from National League teams or more money from an AL team to be a DH. I don't really think I'd even seriously let him try at 1B. He hasn't played there over an extensive amount of time, but he's regarded as being even worse there than in the field, which is amazing. He's strictly a DH in my eyes, and I don't think I'd lie to him and tell him we'd give him a shot in the field but might move him. That would just be setting this move up to be a failure.

I'm not sure 3/$30M gets it done, but we're already talking about way below what he's hoping for. It'll be interesting to see how much he ends up getting.

I agree we should make contact with him and make him an offer, but I also agree with Mackus that the offer should be straigh forward and upfront that he would be our DH, not a fielder.

I agree at some point he's gonna have to decide whether to take smaller offers from National League teams or more money from an AL team to be a DH. I don't really think I'd even seriously let him try at 1B. He hasn't played there over an extensive amount of time, but he's regarded as being even worse there than in the field, which is amazing. He's strictly a DH in my eyes, and I don't think I'd lie to him and tell him we'd give him a shot in the field but might move him. That would just be setting this move up to be a failure.

I'm not sure 3/$30M gets it done, but we're already talking about way below what he's hoping for. It'll be interesting to see how much he ends up getting.

I wouldn't mind him in the outfield on an emergency basis, but that would be just about the only reason.

The word is that the guy is working to get in great shape this off season. Is it possible he wouldn't be as bad out there as we think?

Regardless, he would not be better than Scott or Reimold. No sense bringing in someone and having them miserable from the outset. It usually takes a few years before guys are ready to get out of Baltimore! :D

Lol. We'd be better off with Javy Lopez on 1B. Cinci tried him there and he was an even bigger disaster at 1B than LF. We need to upgrade our IF defense; Dunn would pretty much negate anything we might gain from Izturis.

Archived