Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

This type of tease is Journalism 101 and has nothing to do with the modern media. This has been done since the creation of newspapers. People would stand on street corners yelling "extra, extra read all about it..." trying to get people to buy a newspaper.

Perhaps Roch's viewership is down a bit and decided to go old school with a tease. ;)

Considering the hype mentality of advertising these days with movie trailers and upcoming tv episodes blasting at you every commercial break, I'm surprised we haven't become more numb to it all. You can tease all you want, but when you let the cat at of the bag, it better have been worth it, or we'll just start to say yeah yeah yeah.. I remember the last time......

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's been a lot of talk, specifically in Roy's thread, about Dunn's price dropping and some lucky team getting a Ryan Howard-esque player for $10M a year or less. I'd hate to be one of the teams that missed out on that.

The only problem is that Huff, Scott, and Dunn are a little redundant in the same lineup. I'd rather have Huff and Dunn than any other combination of the two, if for no other reason than past performance. Scott's best year as a pro was last year, and it wasn't all THAT impressive. Scott and Dunn would probably be a slightly more versatile pair, and it would also work out salary wise.

I think if the FO thought there was any market for Huff, they'd be more agressive about signing Dunn. He may be 29, but his skills aren't likely do fade anytime soon because he doesn't rely on speed or athleticism in any facet of his game.

IMHO, having 3 guys in the lineup who are capable of hitting over 100 HR's and amassing maybe 300 RBI's a year is NOT redundant in any sense of the word.

I think its far more likely we see a "the team is not interested in Adam Dunn" post than a "the team is interested in Adam Dunn" post.

I agree. I don't see us signing Dunn even though it makes a ton of sense. And the one reason MacPhail doesn't want him is because he's LH and the second reason is because he's not a Trembley guy, even though I hope Trembley is gone after this year...

Considering the hype mentality of advertising these days with movie trailers and upcoming tv episodes blasting at you every commercial break, I'm surprised we haven't become more numb to it all. You can tease all you want, but when you let the cat at of the bag, it better have been worth it, or we'll just start to say yeah yeah yeah.. I remember the last time......

This is how you take reading too much into it to a new level 101.

Maybe it is just me, but I doubt after the build up over the Yankee first baseman, there could only be two front office messages regarding Dunn. The most likely is, we are not nor will we be involved with Adam Dunn. The second would be, hey look who we just signed. Think back to the Tejeda signing. There was fan rumor spreading but then all of the sudden bang. They will not drop hints and have people go nuts.

This type of tease is Journalism 101 and has nothing to do with the modern media. This has been done since the creation of newspapers. People would stand on street corners yelling "extra, extra read all about it..." trying to get people to buy a newspaper.

Perhaps Roch's viewership is down a bit and decided to go old school with a tease. ;)

Yelling out headlines isn't quite the same as "I have the information you want to know now, but you HAVE to wait until later" -- that's a modern media tease. Which, I'm still not sure Roch was attempting here, again, he may be double checking a source or waiting himself for more info.

-Don (had Journalism 101 and 102 and worked newspapers and radio for a decade)

Dosen't the guy MacPhail hired (Krivsky?) have a bad history wih Dunn?

I don't think so.

If the price for Dunn has fallen so much, we ought to be all over him. Trade Sherrill and Scott for something if we can't accommodate all the lefty bats , or Scott and Brob, whatever. Put Reimold in left or get an outfielder in a trade, Dunn at DH, Huff at 1B, figure out a platoon maybe Dunn gets some starts in left depending on the team.

Roch said unless some pitchers REALLY shine in Spring Training, that we will be more than likely bringing 13 pitchers north for Opening Day. So let's speculate here for a second...

13 pitchers

1b: Huff

2b: Roberts

ss: Iczturis

3b: Mora

c: Need to sign somebody, probably Zaun

Rf: Markakis

cf: Jones

RF: Scott

DH:

bench: backup catcher (Moeller), Freel, backup infielder (Gomez)

So that means Salazar, Montanez, and Reimold are currently fighting for that last spot, the DH spot if you will. If we were to sign Dunn, all three would be in the minors. I just don't think the Orioles see a need to sign Dunn. I would, you would, most would, but not the O's. Even without signing him, we head into spring training with ONLY the following battles (my predictions in bold):

LF/DH/1B: Scott, Huff, Salazar, Montanez, Reimold

Backup infielder: Gomez, other guys whose names escape me

Backup catcher: Moeller, Quiroz

Starting catcher: Zaun, Wieters

That's it. All the other question marks surround the pitching. I just don't see the Orioles going for Dunn. However, Signing Dunn eliminates Salazar, Montanez, and Reimold from contention before Spring Training even gets here.

I agree. I don't see us signing Dunn even though it makes a ton of sense. And the one reason MacPhail doesn't want him is because he's LH and the second reason is because he's not a Trembley guy, even though I hope Trembley is gone after this year...

Neither of these two things are true. Yet you say it as though you know its 100% true.

Archived