Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It looks like he’s on the verge of just completely breaking out. Other than the Strikeouts. His defense at first keeps getting better. 

He still has an 8:2 K/bb ratio and it’s been 5 games. I love Mountcastle but let’s wait a month at least. 

10 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

He has the chance to be a plus defender, maybe even more, if he can become more consistent. He CAN do everything well, he just isn't consistent enough. He is a former SS 😆 so he should be a plus defender at 1B. 

He was never a real SS.  He’ll never make the slick 1B plays that require throws to 2B or home.   He’s average in my book.  He catches most of what he gets to and scoops pretty good.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He was never a real SS.  He’ll never make the slick 1B plays that require throws to 2B or home.   He’s average in my book.  He catches most of what he gets to and scoops pretty good.

I was being sarcastic when I said he was a SS. That is why I had the emoji but should have been more clear. I know he was not a real SS prospect. I have made my evaluation of his ability to pick the ball pretty clear and often. He is good when he sticks to the proper technique. He is an abomination when he doesn't. That's why I said he needs to be more consistent. I don't know if he loses focus or what but sometimes his fundamentals on the throws in the dirt completely break down. 

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The only defensive limitation for Mountcastle is his arm.  That's why he couldn't stick at SS or 3B.  But, he's certainly athletic enough to be a good firstbaseman.  And, the bat plays.

Wasn't it his form throwing from the left side rather than his arm strength? I seem to remember his arm strength being average but his mechanics sucked. I assume the throws from 1B to 2B for a DP "might" require him to learn a different throwing motion. If so, it will take awhile before we know the end result, erasing muscle memory ain't easy.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Wasn't it his form throwing from the left side rather than his arm strength? I seem to remember his arm strength being average but his mechanics sucked. I assume the throws from 1B to 2B for a DP "might" require him to learn a different throwing motion. If so, it will take awhile before we know the end result, erasing muscle memory ain't easy.

He’s been a 1B for three years!   He had a potential DP ball today and made a weak one hop throw to Mateo.  

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Oh, I am not advocating that Mounty can do it, just that his arm is OK supposedly but his mechanics are terrible.

If he hasn’t cleaned up things by now I would say that ship has passed.

• Upvote 1

That throw to second in either the first or second inning today was laughable. I've heard the reference of "noodle arm" a lot about a lot of players before and that throw truly made me understand. Some limp spaghetti shoved that ball. I totally get the commentary of his weak arm now. It was pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

That throw to second in either the first or second inning today was laughable. I've heard the reference of "noodle arm" a lot about a lot of players before and that throw truly made me understand. Some limp spaghetti shoved that ball. I totally get the commentary of his weak arm now. It was pretty pathetic.

That weak throw was out of caution more than arm strength.  Not saying he has a great arm, but I was at the game and it was clear he threw it gingerly.

Now, I like Mountcastle at 1st.  He is athletic and can make plays big lumbering first basement can't make.  He does need to work on stretching out more.  There was one play at first today that would have been an out if he had stretched out.

Mountcastle’s bad luck from last year seems to be holding.   Last year he had a .316 wOBA, .362 xwOBA.  This year so far it’s .338 wOBA, .406 xwOBA.   I have to believe at some point his luck will turn.  He’s in the 92nd percentile in exit velocity, 95th percentile in barrel %.

Of course, when it comes to plate discipline, he remains his own worst enemy, 2nd percentile in chase rate.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/ryan-mountcastle-663624?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb