Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

26 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He also could’ve just felt like it’s nobody’s business and doesn’t want to allow speculation on his condition every time he sits out a couple of games. There’s no obligation to say whether it was flu or vertigo or anything. 

Sure, that is an explanation. I like mine better although it is admittedly speculative. If they had reason to believe they were unrelated I don't see why they wouldn't at least disclose that much.

46 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

In case you don't remember, there is a little thing called HIPAA....unless a player says "Go ahead and tell the World of my medical conditions" he has and should have the right to privacy. Even Vegas and betting does not have the right..and they are smart enough to adjust their odds accordingly despite not knowing exactly the problem.

https://deadspin.com/do-hipaa-laws-apply-to-athletes-1844195531

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It's an unusual injury and the organization has given us zero details as to it's cause or treatment. It's possible that it was completely spontaneous but I was also speculating that it was concussion related so I think it is clear why I used quotes in my post. Admittedly that is complete speculation but pro sports are known to have issues diagnosing concussions.

My take, when someone puts quotes around an injury, is that they either don't think they have the injury or don't think the condition is an actual injury.

Like Ubaldo "twisted his ankle" in the parking lot or Joe Schmo is suffering from "mental fatigue".

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My take, when someone puts quotes around an injury, is that they either don't think they have the injury or don't think the condition is an actual injury.

Like Ubaldo "twisted his ankle" in the parking lot or Joe Schmo is suffering from "mental fatigue".

I don't doubt he has vertigo but I think he might have something more than vertigo. Other people may be using quotation marks the way you are suggesting.

Hopefully this helps explain vertigo a little bit. (Not a doctor ) I’ve had it multiple times . Basically you have these crystals in your ear that move out of place and causes you to feel motion sickness /spinning . I’ve had it happen for absolutely no reason or I’ve had it triggered from being on a boat etc . How fast it goes away  really just depends.  I’ve had treatments with the epley maneuver that help to move the crystals back . Now I’ve played college baseball so I do understand trying to hit 90 mph and breaking pitches and I can say that with vertigo it would definitely put you at a handicap. I had it recently and was trying to play apex a video game and I could feel my eyes jittering from the fast movements and the screen blurring trying to keep up. Some things I could see mountcastle struggling with if he does have vertigo . Are 1. The ball moving faster than it actually is. 2 having trouble picking up the spin on the ball 3 pitch selection from 1 & 2 above along with the ball being blurry and not where it actually is . Hope this helps !! 

• Upvote 2