Keith Law Top 100

Pat Kelly

The athletic TOP100 list by Klaw.   Subscriber only.  All these are opinions but least bullish list by far on Os.  Corbin Carroll not Gunnar number 1 even while comparing GH to Scott Rolen.  Holliday below a bunch of 2022 draftees - seems not updated and no Norby, Colton,  HK, Mayo.   Only includes GH, JH, Grayson, DL, JW and Ortiz who Law had always liked.  Again complaining about only 6 in TOP100 but the least gushy profile yet disappointing because our expectations are now so high. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

The writeups are pretty nice except saying the Grayson is a #2 instead of a #1.    Without saying a word he makes the point that Elias should have take Lawlar over Cowser.

Here is Westburg's:

Westburg had about as quiet a season as you can have with 69 extra-base hits, moving through shortstop, second, and third base, drawing 70 walks, and hitting .265/.355/.496 between Double A and Triple A. He doesn’t have a clear plus tool, but makes plenty of hard contact and plays above-average defense at second or third, giving him a bunch of 55s on his scouting report that adds up to a solid to above-average regular because of where he plays. His power is probably his best tool, with the ability to drive the ball out to right-center and to his pull side, but he can over-rotate to get to it, which makes him less of a hitter and contributes to some of his inconsistency at the plate over a long season. He could be a 30-homer guy with a lower batting average, but will probably be most valuable as a .280-ish hitter with 20-25 homers, solid OBPs, and above-average defense at third or average defense at shortstop.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While I don't think Cowser is a top 100 guy either, mainly due to his left-handed pitcher struggles, Law has never been one to go against the grain with his selections.  

Just curious.  Are Cowsers minor league splits against LHP much different than Henderson?

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The writeups are pretty nice except saying the Grayson is a #2 instead of a #1.    Without saying a word he makes the point that Elias should have take Lawlar over Cowser.

Here is Westburg's:

Westburg had about as quiet a season as you can have with 69 extra-base hits, moving through shortstop, second, and third base, drawing 70 walks, and hitting .265/.355/.496 between Double A and Triple A. He doesn’t have a clear plus tool, but makes plenty of hard contact and plays above-average defense at second or third, giving him a bunch of 55s on his scouting report that adds up to a solid to above-average regular because of where he plays. His power is probably his best tool, with the ability to drive the ball out to right-center and to his pull side, but he can over-rotate to get to it, which makes him less of a hitter and contributes to some of his inconsistency at the plate over a long season. He could be a 30-homer guy with a lower batting average, but will probably be most valuable as a .280-ish hitter with 20-25 homers, solid OBPs, and above-average defense at third or average defense at shortstop.

Agree on Lawlar, maybe unfair to be hyper critical of Elias on the draft and farm system but still unclear if you are taking BPA how you can justify CC over JL. In the end this might be more about whether Holliday is better than Lawlar as it feels like they would not have taken them both B2B. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While I don't think Cowser is a top 100 guy either, mainly due to his left-handed pitcher struggles, Law has never been one to go against the grain with his selections.  

Law has Brennan Davis at 50.  Meh...  I'd rather have Cowser.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised he has Westburg over Ortiz just based on his previous comments on both. Little surprised Norby didn't make it on near the end as he's always liked him and he just hit 30 homers. I don't think he has ever really cared much for Mayo and Cowser so don't expect to see them make any lists. Biggest shock for me though is how he still has Holliday below 3 other 2022 draftees. 

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

The athletic TOP100 list by Klaw.   Subscriber only.  All these are opinions but least bullish list by far on Os.  Corbin Carroll not Gunnar number 1 even while comparing GH to Scott Rolen.  Holliday below a bunch of 2022 draftees - seems not updated and no Norby, Colton,  HK, Mayo.   Only includes GH, JH, Grayson, DL, DK and Ortiz who Law had always liked.  Again complaining about only 6 in TOP100 but the least gushy profile yet disappointing because our expectations are now so high. 

Who is DK?

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand the Lawlar vs Cowser draft debate. However, Cowser fits more into what we need at the moment. A COF. If he can continue to be serviceable in CF then that really helps his fit with us. 

Need has nothing to do with it though.

Lawlar is and was the pick.

Doesnt mean Cowser can’t be a good player though.

• Upvote 1

Law likes to go against the grain. Sometimes he is right. Often not. I have no issue with Carroll 1 and Henderson 2. And while Holliday is below some other guys from the draft, the phrase "I can see why the O's wanted him with the first pick..." is about the best you can hope for from Law who can be stubborn with his picks and double-down longer than he probably should when proven wrong. I still remember his love affair with Adam Hall. 

I get the bullishness (to some extent) on Cowser as Tony seems to share the opinion--at least to some extent, but it's interesting how much he dropped for Law despite having a solid season (even if the numbers against LHP were rough and the Ks were up). 

• Upvote 2