The new bases

vab

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord they are big.

In a game of inches, that is going to make a fairly significant difference stealing second base.  Add in the pitching clock and I think it will make for some exciting baseball.  I enjoyed how the clock changed the game in AAA last year.  I'm a sucker for Catchers getting a chance to steal bases :)  My two cents. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

In a game of inches, that is going to make a fairly significant difference stealing second base.  Add in the pitching clock and I think it will make for some exciting baseball.  I enjoyed how the clock changed the game in AAA last year.  I'm a sucker for Catchers getting a chance to steal bases :)  My two cents. 

Limiting pitchers to 3 throws over to first to hold the runner will probably have an affect, as well.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Limiting pitchers to 3 throws over to first to hold the runner will probably have an affect, as well.

I noticed guys starting to time the clock.  They'd take off when clock hit 1 second guessing the pitcher would not throw over and they'd take second base standing up.  Good times.... especially when it's a fat C/1b.

• Upvote 1

I tried to post this last night, but I can't figure out how to insert a picture. I think this helps us greatly with having Mullins and Mateo. Inches really matter when it comes to stolen bases, and not just the steals but the threat of the steals. We are also blessed to have Adley behind the plate. I think of this rule and the non shift rule and see our advantages. We are going to have two shortstops playing on the left side of the infield so we should have more range when a righty is up. It's almost like we have been building for this. I wonder how Chris Davis would hit now without the shift. :)  I know, I know, he would have to actually hit the ball.