Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

Alright, I mean that's fine. I'm not saying he was looking for sympathy or applause necessarily, but he didn't offer any context as to what the point was, so one could read it that way. What did it mean, you know? I just remember reading the quotes on twitter and immediately feeling like, "what is he even saying this for". It came off as bizarre to me and other folks, some of the reporters too. 

FWIW, I had the same reaction when I read the original quote, he is tone deaf. Whenever JA opens his mouth it is just another opportunity for him to switch feet.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I’m not.   Nor am I against him.  Time will tell over the next 2-3 years.  

I was just teasing.  The last few days many of us have been called "Angelos guys" for having the audacity to not go insane parsing meaningless quotes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Alright, I mean that's fine. I'm not saying he was looking for sympathy or applause necessarily, but he didn't offer any context as to what the point was, so one could read it that way. What did it mean, you know? I just remember reading the quotes on twitter and immediately feeling like, "what is he even saying this for". It came off as bizarre to me and other folks, some of the reporters too. 

FWIW, I had the same reaction when I read the original quote, he is tone deaf. Whenever JA opens his mouth it is just another opportunity for him to switch feet.

I used to wonder how the son of a billionaire lawyer managed to fail to pass the bar.

I now understand.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I used to wonder how the son of a billionaire lawyer managed to fail to pass the bar.

I now understand.

I guess you're implying that he's not too smart but, seriously, why do you think he didn't pass?     I'd guess that he really didn't want it that badly and just didn't put the effort into it.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I still maintain that if he had a last name that wasn't Angelos this would be much ado about nothing.  I don't think JA is perfect but he's at the helm of a franchise that has been getting things right more than wrong lately, especially when letting Elias do what he was brought in to do.

He's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't talk to the media.  

Yep.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess you're implying that he's not too smart but, seriously, why do you think he didn't pass?     I'd guess that he really didn't want it that badly and just didn't put the effort into it.

I think if he didn't want to pass it he would have never taken it, or gone to law school for that matter.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think if he didn't want to pass it he would have never taken it, or gone to law school for that matter.

I think going to law school and passing the bar was expected of him by his father.   I don't think his heart was in it but that's a total guess on my part.   Maybe he's just not that smart but I'd guess that a reasonably smart person who studies like hell can probably pass it.    Queue the lawyers!

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think going to law school and passing the bar was expected of him by his father.   I don't think his heart was in it but that's a total guess on my part.   Maybe he's just not that smart but I'd guess that a reasonably smart person who studies like hell can probably pass it.    Queue the lawyers!

Particularly if they have a lot of resources at their disposal.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Particularly if they have a lot of resources at their disposal.

I'd guess that most people taking the bar have resources but I'm sure there are plenty who pass it without needing any resources except study, study, study.    Maybe I'm not catching your implication.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, Frobby said:

and his job is to focus on broader issues like the private-public partnership between the Orioles, the Ravens and the City.   

The greatest private-public partnership that he could offer would be making it a priority to put out a competitive team every year that draws fans downtown for 81 games over the summer to stimulate the local economy, creating jobs for high school and college age kids so they can pay their own tuition.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'd guess that most people taking the bar have resources but I'm sure there are plenty who pass it without needing any resources except study, study, study.    Maybe I'm not catching your implication.

I don’t know John Angelos, but I will say that not every intelligent person is cut out to be a lawyer.   Lawyers have to be focused on little details and be willing to drill down on stuff that most people find very boring.  They have to organize their thoughts in a very lineal way. Listening to John talk, he doesn’t have the most organized way of talking that I’ve ever heard.   He may be smart (or not), but he doesn’t strike me as having a typical lawyer’s skill set.  

And honestly, there are a lot of law school graduates who either choose to never practice law, or who do it for a few years and decide it’s not for them.  John may have decided he didn’t want to practice law enough to sit for the bar exam multiple times, after not passing the first time.   

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I mean he's not working 40 hours a week in Retail to make rent.

He had his choice of schools, I'm sure had access to tutors, had no financial pressures.  He could have even gone to another State if had desired it.

He had the type of resources the scion of a Billionaire has, which is considerably more than your average person taking the test.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I was just teasing.  The last few days many of us have been called "Angelos guys" for having the audacity to not go insane parsing meaningless quotes.

Along the same lines I wish those commenting would watch the QA instead of relying on parsed twitter statements.  I can't believe I am defending JA but the statements need to be heard in context.  As an Orioles fan if you watch the short QA and you don't feel better about ownership/management and the direction of the franchise in general......

Look the Angelos tenure has been rough for us all, there should be a level of skepticism and distrust-I like others tend towards catastrophic thinking but there are a lot of positive things happening now.  Let JA play with his concerts, politics and social activism and leave the baseball stuff aside.  For those of you who didn't watch that was one of the maor takeaways.  

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This is not surprising. No big off season move. Ownership is not popular.  

Wonder what we see now that spring games are about to start? I would be promoting all the young guys like Adley, Gunnar and Grayson and showing off their personalities. They legitimately have marketable players. For several years who did people really want to go see? 

I know they are doing 6:35 weekday night starts for April, May and September. Seven or eight also weekday day games mostly because of travel. I don't think the earlier starting time will make much difference in attendance.