Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

On 5/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, Mr-splash said:

I hope he becomes a superstar, sincerely. That said, I was looking at his numbers and his BAPIP is out of control. Maybe he is one of those guys who can maintain a higher than normal BAPIP. There are certain players who can do that consistently. Also, his K rate of 16.2% is very impressive for a 19 year old. That said, I dont know if its reasonable to expect anybody to hit over .400 with a k rate that high. Seems like there is a little bit of batted ball luck here too. Anybody who is hitting over .400 for 24 games is usually due for some BABIP regression.

I don't think, or at least I hope no one thinks that Holliday is going to continue to hit over .400. That's just not sustainable even for someone as talented as Holliday.

20 hours ago, CHIP said:

I didn't read all 41 pages of posts... but MiLB doesn't have his home and away splits at Aberdeen.  While his AVG and OBP are still outstanding, it appears his SLG is lower along with RBI's which may have be a result of the park and it's impact on the rest of the Ironbirds.  Buy hey, they are statistics and anyone can cherry pick the good and the bad.  I just don't see a whole lotta bad.

GP   AB   R  H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
9 HOME 26 10 10 15 2 0 1 2 9 0 6 2 2 0.385 0.543 0.577
15 AWAY 58 16 24 45 4 4 3 18 12 0 11 6 2 0.414 0.514 0.776
24 TOTAL 84 26 34 60 6 4 4 20 21 0 17 8 4 0.405 0.524 0.714

Screenshot2023-05-26110051.thumb.png.0c6acfdb71d4e6b2fe0c2f9819014e7e.png

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Holliday’s streak of getting on base dating back into the last five games of last year ended today.  

Also had 4 strikeouts yesterday. Hes definitely cooling off. He was definitely not going to OPS over 1.200, maybe more like .900 to 1.000

Just want to say I'm glad the Orioles didn't take Elijah Green in low A ball he has 71 strikeouts in 139 at bats this season. When I heard Green struck out a lot in high school it soured me on him even with his freakish athletic ability.

Green still has a lot of time to develop, but he might legit strike out 300+ times if he played in 150 MLB games this year.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just want to say I'm glad the Orioles didn't take Elijah Green in low A ball he has 71 strikeouts in 139 at bats this season. When I heard Green struck out a lot in high school it soured me on him even with his freakish athletic ability.

Green still has a lot of time to develop, but he might legit strike out 300+ times if he played in 150 MLB games this year.

Yep. To me, can't get any brighter of a red flag then to strike out a lot against high school pitching. 

On 5/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, Can_of_corn said:

From what I've seen the actual park factors are not that severe for Aberdeen.

Sadly, the best source for those that I've found is behind the BA paywall.

It's got like a 90 hitter park effect, doesn't it?  I know it's not a perfect correlation but that would turn an .880 OPS hitter into a .792 OPS hitter.

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I saw the interview Brendon Mortenson did with Jackson Holliday for MASN, and Jackson is an impressive young man. He's well spoken, and seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I like how motivated he is and how he sets goals for himself.

Agreed.  I would credit a lot of it to his dad being a long-time major leaguer and Jackson spending so much time in the clubhouse and on the fields.  Because of that, I think the mental adjustment to pro ball has been easier, and he also has a good idea of the work ethic and mental preparation needed to succeed at this level.

44 minutes ago, Otter said:

Agreed.  I would credit a lot of it to his dad being a long-time major leaguer and Jackson spending so much time in the clubhouse and on the fields.  Because of that, I think the mental adjustment to pro ball has been easier, and he also has a good idea of the work ethic and mental preparation needed to succeed at this level.

Their baseball ties run deep. Jackson's uncle is the manager at Oklahoma State. And his grandpa was previously the manager there. His younger brother is still a teenager, but there's a good chance he'll be a major leaguer too.