2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

We're going to have to remove a position player at some point to bring up a relief pitcher and seeing that Mateo is not as good defensively as we thought he was, I think it should be him. Trade him for a bag of chips if you have to.  He's just too unreliable to play on a team with Championship aspirations.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's basically played about 95% as well as he did last season in the field.  I think everyone would have conceded that was a possibility.

I didn't see the first play, but the second play, in the 8th, was not only not an error, and it's ridiculous to suggest it was (see other thread), but that's a 113 mph short hop to the backhand side.  I think even Gold Glovers don't make that play every time, or even most of the time.

He has had more than a 5% drop. 

His defense has gone from elite/platinum glove level to “only” very good/well above average.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His defense has gone from elite/platinum glove level to “only” very good/well above average.

I think if he were playing every day he would still be in the conversation for the GG, but not the platinum glove.  It's probably been a handful of plays over the course of half the season, and I think the play in the 8th today is a very bad example of one of those plays.

I do not believe the scouting evaluation of Mateo's defense has changed over the course of this season, as it probably should have in regards to Frazier's.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. I couldn’t say whether it’s the offensive woes or Gunnar having closed the gap with him on D but Jorge has not been quite the elite glove he was last year. 

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think if he were playing every day he would still be in the conversation for the GG, but not the platinum glove.  It's probably been a handful of plays over the course of half the season, and I think the play in the 8th today is a very bad example of one of those plays.

I do not believe the scouting evaluation of Mateo's defense has changed over the course of this season, as it probably should have in regards to Frazier's.

Fwiw, I don’t think the 8th inning was bad by Mateo although I do think he could have done a better job of getting in front of it.

The stats say he’s worse going to the left and back.