2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

This year everyone is killing Manoah (lefties OPSing .836, righties .858).

But for his career, he has a pretty extreme split (lefties OPS .711 against him, righties .529).

So Hyde has gotten all the lefties and switch hitters into the lineup.  7 out of 9.

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Boooo, no O'Hearn. Play power lefties in Yankee Stadium! Looking forward to some Adam Frazier 88 MPH fly balls leaving the yard, though.

Would you want him starting at 1st over Mountcastle? Or over Vavra and Santander in RF? Just curious, it certainly makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Boooo, no O'Hearn. Play power lefties in Yankee Stadium! Looking forward to some Adam Frazier 88 MPH fly balls leaving the yard, though.

The O's overall have decent numbers against Cole. O'Hearn is 1-9 with a HR.

47 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Would you want him starting at 1st over Mountcastle? Or over Vavra and Santander in RF? Just curious, it certainly makes sense.

Over Vavra, IMO. Against Cole, I say load up on as many sluggers, especially lefties, as possible, and try to win 4-3 on solo HRs.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

At first over Mountcastle.

There’s no reason not to have a platoon between Mountcastle and O’Hearn at this point. It’s shocking to see him hitting clean up while getting dominated by RHP this year. Oh, and he plays a terrible first base. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

There’s no reason not to have a platoon between Mountcastle and O’Hearn at this point. It’s shocking to see him hitting clean up while getting dominated by RHP this year. Oh, and he plays a terrible first base. 

In his career, Mountcastle had been solid vs. RHP, so I’m not going to get excited over 47-game platoon splits.  And by the way, I think Mountcastle is mediocre at 1B but from what I’ve seen of O’Hearn, he’s not better.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

At Yankee Stadium, yes I would want him starting at 1B over Mountcastle.

Maybe not all 3 games, but I sure as heck hopes he gets at least one start there this week.   And I wouldn't complain about 2.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In his career, Mountcastle had been solid vs. RHP, so I’m not going to get excited over 47-game platoon splits.  And by the way, I think Mountcastle is mediocre at 1B but from what I’ve seen of O’Hearn, he’s not better.  

Well, I’ll admit I don’t know how well O’Hearn plays 1B, but I will say that Mountcastle is worse than mediocre. 

They’ve given Mountcastle a long enough leash…both in the short term and long term. That’s just my thoughts, I’m not saying DFA or trade him while his value is nil, but even a temporary platoon while O’Hearn has a hot bat so that Mountcastle can get back on track somehow by feasting on LHP…worth a shot. Possibly even something as simple as lowering him in the lineup. He’s pretty much a guaranteed 0-4 tonight, why is he hitting cleanup? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Edited by oriole

Mountcastle is a best overall 1st Baseman the Orioles have on the team so I don't get the shade being thrown at him. Plus he's in the top 2 of power bats on the team. 

O'Hearn's defense could be a liability but it would still be nice to get him into the lineup because he's proven that he also has some pop in his bat and can be a clutch hitter. The obvious spot would be to play Santander in his natural Right Field position, and let O'Hearn DH. 

But Maybe Brandon Hyde is waiting to use O'Hearn as a Pinch Hitter in the right spot? 

All in all, I feel good about this lineup.