Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

72% str%.  He did only miss 12 bats tonight but overall a great performance.

Baseball savant has him throwing the 5 hardest AAA pitches so far today.

Statcast is now updated to 27 (!!) whiffs. The additional 15 are on unidentified pitches, so something is wonky with the tracking. I saw it when it said 12 previously as well but I think it’s going to be 27 when it’s cleaned up. Tremendous performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Earliest he could pitch would be Sunday and don't see the Orioles bringing him up before  the break baring an injury 

Maybe not, but they just made the move with Cowser. Might be feeling the heat. 

16 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Statcast is now updated to 27 (!!) whiffs. The additional 15 are on unidentified pitches, so something is wonky with the tracking. I saw it when it said 12 previously as well but I think it’s going to be 27 when it’s cleaned up. Tremendous performance. 

Honestly, when I saw that he K’d 12 but only missed 12 bats, I was very surprised, so this makes more sense.

Looking back through the Statcast for Grayson’s AAA starts since being sent down and they’ve clearly tinkered with his cutter and slider. It looks like they’ve now combined them into a single pitch that is somewhere between the two - higher velo than the slider and lower velo than the cutter. The cutter was getting hammered by major league hitters and he didn’t have much consistency with the slider so this can only be an improvement IMO. 

He’s also been throwing a ton of changeups, which is a great sign. By far his best off speed. If he can command the change, he really only needs the curve as an occasional change of pace and the slider/cutter to help against RH hitters.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, baltfan said:

How many innings does he have left before they need to shut him down?  He pitched about half of a season last year.  

He pitcher 75.2 innings last year. He has pitched 85 2 innings this year.  The most innings he has thrown is 104 innings. The Orioles said before the season started that he wasn't on a pitch limit. He throws once a week in the minors so far 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly, when I saw that he K’d 12 but only missed 12 bats, I was very surprised, so this makes more sense.

I was thinking that the only way that would be possible would be a ton of foul balls in the K at bats. 

I saw one pitch of one of his strikeouts from the tweet that was posted in the highlight thread. If he was pitching like that the whole game, I'm encouraged. To me that highlight looked like he threw a circle change and he located it in a nice spot on the corner that the catcher was able to frame it to the umpire for a strike. It started inside and ran back to the black of the plate perfectly. (Could have been called either way but it froze the hitter.)

If he's commanding all his pitches like that, then I will be excited for his return to MLB.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

How many innings does he have left before they need to shut him down?  He pitched about half of a season last year.  

Reality is they probably don't need to shut him down. The Verducci effect has been pretty well debunked.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/19497/baseball-therapy-fact-or-fiction-the-verducci-effect/

They should just let him throw however many innings he can as a starter this year. If he gets up to 150, 160, 170, I'm not bothered

• Upvote 1

I'm still not impressed by Grayson blowing away AAA hitters and making them swing and miss.  

That doesn't mean I don't want to see him back in the majors...I do.  I'd like to see him back up here soon.  But I'm withholding any expectations of significant improvement.  

However, it would do this team a great deal of good if Grayson could do a 180.