Roster cuts Friday morning?

wildcard

Thursday I expect Wells will start and try to go 3 innings.  That will complete the  second  round of starts.  The next round the starters projected in the rotation will probably try  to go 4 innings.  That include Bradish, Irvin, Gibson, GRod for sure.  Watkins, Baumann, Wells, Zimmermann,  Voth could go 3 or 4 innings next round.  Kremer is gone to the WBC.

This will eat a lot of innings and cause Elias/Hyde to send pitchers to the minor league camp for work.  Thursday's game is away.  Friday's game is a home night game which will give Hyde/Elias and the coaches time to talk to the players being send down.

Rom is the only one of the starters I see being send out.  Of  the non roster pitchers we could see Charles, Dowdy, Garrett, Gomez, MCSweeney, Strowd, Uvila, Vallimont and Watson go.

I think Bazardo and Povich stay.

Catchers Ramon Rodriguez and Kolozsvary could go.   Mayo could be sent down.

With Mullins and Santander  are gone to the WBC  so outfielders Mazara and Neustrom may stick around or not.   Mazara and Terry may have opt outs so they may have decisions on whether to stay in with the O's or become free agents whenever they go.

Just because players get send down does not mean they can't be brought over  from minor league camp to help out.

This  is all JMO.   Mind reading always means I might be wrong.

What is your take?

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do we have to do roster cuts?  I think the WBC is a big twist. I also think we keep the other catchers around longer because we dont want Adley catching that much in ST. 

They would still have 4 catchers in camp.  Adley, McCann, Bemboom and Handley.

Edited by wildcard

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They would still have 4 catchers in camp.  Adley, McCann, Bemboom and Handley.

The minor league ST games start next Wednesday I believe,  O's have  a double header on Monday.  I think they may send down 1 or 2 after Monday.  Orioles haven't shown any favor to Handley over Kolozsvary.  They may keep Handley just as the gofer without any MLB time.

40 minutes ago, CHIP said:

The minor league ST games start next Wednesday I believe,  O's have  a double header on Monday.  I think they may send down 1 or 2 after Monday.  Orioles haven't shown any favor to Handley over Kolozsvary.  They may keep Handley just as the gofer without any MLB time.

I guess that is a matter of perspective.   I agree that Handley and Kolozsvary have gotten pretty equal  playing time so far in ST.   But Handley is batting .500 and Kolozsvary is batting .143.   Handley has also shown well defensively and has shown a strong arm.

It looks to me that Handley is positioning himself to be the primary catcher at AAA  Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Love how much run Holliday is getting but he's probably in the first or second round of cuts.

Holliday and Kjerstad are two players that I think  Elias/Hyde are just enjoying the heck at of watching them play.    I think they will hang on to them through at least the first cut.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess that is a matter of perspective.   I agree that Handley and Kolozsvary have gotten pretty equal  playing time so far in ST.   But Handley is batting .500 and Kolozsvary is batting .143.   Handley has also shown well defensively and has shown a strong arm.

It looks to me that Handley is positioning himself to be the primary catcher at AAA  Norfolk.

You were predisposed to think that before ST even started, based on your posts over the winter.  I doubt 7 plate appearances for each of Handley and Kolozsvary (and 10 for Bemboom) has decided much of anything.  But frankly, I’d be happy if Handley were the primary C at Norfolk.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You were predisposed to think that before ST even started, based on your posts over the winter.  I doubt 7 plate appearances for each of Handley and Kolozsvary (and 10 for Bemboom) has decided much of anything.  But frankly, I’d be happy if Handley were the primary C at Norfolk.   

I figure Bemboom is the logical call up in the first half if there is an injury to Adley (God forbid) or McCann.  But by the 2nd half Handley will have gotten enough AAA experience to pass Bemboom on the depth chart.

This is not just about ST.   Handley is an Elias draftee.  In the great 2019 draft.  He is a good defensive catcher that hit well at Bowie.   Doing well in ST is just a continuation of his climb through the organization.   Kolozsvary is a waiver wire pickup and Bemboom is 33.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Holliday and Kjerstad are two players that I think  Elias/Hyde are just enjoying the heck at of watching them play.    I think they will hang on to them through at least the first cut.

I can see Kjerstad hanging out for a while but I do think Holliday probably gets re-assigned soon. He has been excellent in his first camp and they have gotten out of him probably everything they hoped for and then some.  

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

I guess if you actually look at the numbers... your looks may be possible

NAME

GP
AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
Adley Rutschman C 7 15 2 5 0 0 1 1 7 4 2 0 0.333 0.474 0.533 1.007
James McCann C 5 14 1 2 1 0 0 0 1 0 5 0 0.143 0.143 0.214 0.357
Anthony Bemboom C 5 7 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 1 0 0.143 0.400 0.143 0.543
Mark Kolozsvary C 5 7 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 0 0.143 0.143 0.143 0.286
Maverick Handley C 6 6 0 3 0 0 0 0 3 1 2 1 0.500 0.571 0.500 1.071
Ramon Rodriguez C 4 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0.333 0.500 0.333 0.833