Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

IMO Frazier's value is that he gives us a viable replacement should we trade players of real value, like Urias, Mateo, and Santander.

Clearly Mike knows how to construct a roster, the sum is greater than the parts, especially in Frazier's case

15 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I know Vavra had a big base hit, but I'd feel more comfortable with Frazier in that role and Westburg (or Urias) playing 2B.

Yep. Ultimately, that’s the best set up for us. I’m glad Frazier is on a heater right now but his OPS was 100 points lower a week ago. You play the guys when they are on a heater but ultimately, he’s a sub 700 OPS guy with declining defense and no speed.

But his bat to ball skills have value for us in certain situations. I wouldn’t care if they DFA’d him tomorrow but I also don’t care if he’s here the rest of the year if he keeps up some semblance of an offensive profile that can help us in a limited role.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. Ultimately, that’s the best set up for us. I’m glad Frazier is on a heater right now but his OPS was 100 points lower a week ago. You play the guys when they are on a heater but ultimately, he’s a sub 700 OPS guy with declining defense and no speed.

But his bat to ball skills have value for us in certain situations. I wouldn’t care if they DFA’d him tomorrow but I also don’t care if he’s here the rest of the year if he keeps up some semblance of an offensive profile that can help us in a limited role.

We've been through this before. He is a .729 hitter for his career. Too early to declare him done. If you want to be accurate please use past tense and the cherry picked time period that supports the claim. I wanted Westburg on opening day and still don't like the signing.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We've been through this before. He is a .729 hitter for his career. Too early to declare him done. If you want to be accurate please use past tense and the cherry picked time period that supports the claim. I wanted Westburg on opening day and still don't like the signing.

His last 1200 at bats is a sub 650 OPs guy. That is way more relevant to career numbers at his age and at this point in his career.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His last 1200 at bats is a sub 650 OPs guy. That is way more relevant to career numbers at his age and at this point in his career.

I don't think that's right.

Last 135 he's .740

730 before that call .650.

400 before that he was over .800.

There's no way that averages out to .650. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Last 135 he's .740

It’s not. In his last 1210 plate appearances, his OPS is .679. His WRC+ is 94.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Last 135 he's .740

I misspoke..it shouldn’t be 1200 at bats.  It should be about 1000 at bats.

The 800 at bats coming into this season since the second half of 2021, his OPS was like 620ish. So, in the last 1000 at bats, it’s probably 650ish or less.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Just to be clear,  if you are referring to our thoughts on if Westburg would outperform or match Frazier, the same applies to your position.  You feel he wouldn't...I feel he would.  Neither of us can prove ourselves right or wrong. 

Yeah, but the burden of proof isn't on my position.

Frazier's already here and performing well.

Westburg is hypothetically able to do that.  And there's plenty of evidence to suggest it wouldn't be seamless at least.

Furthermore, that still isn't an argument against Frazier, because Frazier has been our second best and most consistent infielder this year.  If Westburg is up here taking anybody's playing time it should probably be Henderson's and Mountcastle's tbh.

This team is better because Frazier is on it.  Simple as.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Westburg is hypothetically able to do that.  And there's plenty of evidence to suggest it wouldn't be seamless at least.

Furthermore, that still isn't an argument against Frazier, because Frazier has been our second best and most consistent infielder this year.  If Westburg is up here taking anybody's playing time it should probably be Henderson's and Mountcastle's tbh.

It’s not that simple because you don’t know what his replacement would be doing. If we had never signed Frazier, one of the young players would be getting his at bats and playing time and we don’t know what that player would be doing. We don’t know if that players likely improved defense would have impacted the pitching more. Lots of factors here.

We are better with him vs Odor, there’s no doubt about that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not that simple because you don’t know what his replacement would be doing. If we had never signed Frazier, one of the young players would be getting his at bats and playing time and we don’t know what that player would be doing. We don’t know if that players likely improved defense would have impacted the pitching more. Lots of factors here.

We are better with him vs Odor, there’s no doubt about that.

Even if Westburg can outperform Frazier, he should be taking ABs from Henderson and Mountcastle.  Because guess what?  They can't.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

In March/April Frazier had a .663 OPS in 91 PA's

In May Frazier has a .844 OPS in 54 PA's

On the year Frazier has a .568 OPS with RISP

I think it's fair to say Frazier has been on a heater in May. And that it benefited the team.

It think it's also fair to say he sucked in March/April... and that he's not exactly clutch in either case.

Just now, owknows said:

In March/April Frazier had a .663 OPS in 91 PA's

In May Frazier has a .844 OPS in 54 PA's

On the year Frazier has a .568 OPS with RISP

I think it's fair to say Frazier has been on a heater in May. And that it benefited the team.

It think it's also fair to say he sucked in March/April... and that he's not exactly clutch in either case.

If you have to resort to RISP numbers, I have to say you don't have a very strong argument.

Just now, Pickles said:

If you have to resort to RISP numbers, I have to say you don't have a very strong argument.

If you have to ignore the majority of what I posted to focus on the one mention of RISP... you have no argument at all.