Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

24 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Frazier is playing well and we have the 2nd best record in the MLB. Considering that is is hilarious how much butthurt Frazier is creating.

You’re part of the hilarity too. Acting like Frazier is Joe Morgan or something. 

He’s not a great player. He’s on a bit of a heater right now and it couldn’t have come at a better time. 

He’s alright and he’s an upgrade over Odor (which isn’t saying much).  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re part of the hilarity too. Acting like Frazier is Joe Morgan or something. 

He’s not a great player. He’s on a bit of a heater right now and it couldn’t have come at a better time. 

He’s alright and he’s an upgrade over Odor (which isn’t saying much).  

I didn't say he was an All Star or a great player. Hes a good player. And the butthurt is hilarious. Can only imagine being a Jays fan now. 

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Is Adam Frazier a more productive Lew Ford?

You nailed it! And he's back just to haunt this Board. Damn Lew Ford. Elias should have known! Can't help but think he's just messing with us too. And at 8 Mil!!!!!! Heck Lew ( I mean Frazier) has got over 8 pages of debate over the last 24 hours and we won both games. This IS Lew Ford Territory! May 22 - 29 and counting. Hope I make it to September. This is going to be a great novel. Damn Lew Ford The Sequel.

I believe the Mariners will go on a run, but this past offseason for Dipoto, dumping Frazier for Wong was more or less in the same ballpark as us dumping Odor for Frazier.     It'd be a bit of a mea culpa for Elias to reacquire Odor, or Dipoto to reacquire Frazier.

Julio's sophomore slump will very likely end at some point and with those SP I think they will still factor into the AL6 race.

Among Frazier's recent employers, SDP are underperforming and using Rougned Odor as a bench bat.     Frazier has made it easy for Elias to retain rights to Westburg/Norby/Ortiz at the MLB minimum through 2026, an asset group he will probably exchange some of for something else in 2 months.

Frazier is on a nice heater slashing .314/.368/.543/.911 over his last ten games. I'm happy that he's playing well offensively overall, but his defense has been much worse than I expected from him and he's one of the slowest Orioles on the team.

I also still think Ortiz is a much better player overall than Frazier which still goes back to the lack of need to sign him.

But, saying that, I hope the guy continues to play well and I hope his defense evens outs a bit though nothing is going to improve that lack of arm strength. The good news is that overall, his arm while it lacks strength, is accurate. 

So I know that the pro Frazier people (the few that there were) are going to be running victory laps, and that's fine. But things to remember, Ortiz is a much better defender than Frazier, much faster, and if given the same amount of PAs as Frazier, who's to say he would not be doing as well or better? 

We also have to think of how many PAs Urias did not get because of Frazier so Urias' production pre injury was out performing Frazier both offensively and defensively.

So great, I'm happy that Frazier is doing well, but nothing he does will take away from the fact that Elias signed a player to a position that we did not have a need for and while he's been good of late, He was OPSing .674 just 8 games ago.

I hope he continues to do well, but I would not be surprised if this is not his high water mark for the season.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, owknows said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=fraziad01&year=2023&t=b#month

You may have noticed that I said nothing about Frazier's first 18 games. I was discussing his first 28 games (March/April)

I mentioned his March/April Stats (.663 OPS) vs. his May stats. (.840 OPS)

Over his first 18 games... you had his OPS at .759. Quite a difference from the March/April stats that I was discussing, where his actual OPS was .663

I mentioned that difference (March/April v May) because I thought it relevant... and to me suggestive that May's performance is a hot streak. I may be wrong. And as an O's fan I hope that I am.

You pointed out in this thread that his WAR had dipped to 0.1 pm April 30th. When his OPS was .759

I thought I had read that the WAR number that corresponded to his March/April .663 OPS was -0.2, but can't find that number now.. so will concede the point.

My characterization of your response as hyper-emotional had nothing to do with your substance. And everything to do with your style.

You entered the conversation by saying "please stop being ridiculous" and "it's ludicrous to say".. which I thought were both a bit hyperbolic, and a bit out of character. And I thought unwarranted. I don't mind being called to task if you think I'm wrong... but at least have a conversation.

I’m not trying to make this personal, so I apologize if the tone of my post was too strong.  You are a good poster and I enjoy reading your perspectives.  

That said, there’s a point in your post above that I’m not following, where you say “You pointed out in this thread that his WAR had dipped to 0.1 pm April 30th. When his OPS was .759.”   But his OPS wasn’t .759 then, so I’m not sure what you were saying.  

As to your statement that May’s .840 OPS is a hot streak, I agree with that.  I’m don’t expect him to post an .840 OPS over an extended period of time.  I’d guess he’s likely to finish under his current .742, not over.  But I’m also pretty confident that he’ll be positive in both rWAR and fWAR when the year ends.   He’s at 1.0/0.6 as of this morning.  

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Frazier is on a nice heater slashing .314/.368/.543/.911 over his last ten games. I'm happy that he's playing well offensively overall, but his defense has been much worse than I expected from him and he's one of the slowest Orioles on the team.

I also still think Ortiz is a much better player overall than Frazier which still goes back to the lack of need to sign him.

But, saying that, I hope the guy continues to play well and I hope his defense evens outs a bit though nothing is going to improve that lack of arm strength. The good news is that overall, his arm while it lacks strength, is accurate. 

So I know that the pro Frazier people (the few that there were) are going to be running victory laps, and that's fine. But things to remember, Ortiz is a much better defender than Frazier, much faster, and if given the same amount of PAs as Frazier, who's to say he would not be doing as well or better? 

We also have to think of how many PAs Urias did not get because of Frazier so Urias' production pre injury was out performing Frazier both offensively and defensively.

So great, I'm happy that Frazier is doing well, but nothing he does will take away from the fact that Elias signed a player to a position that we did not have a need for and while he's been good of late, He was OPSing .674 just 8 games ago.

I hope he continues to do well, but I would not be surprised if this is not his high water mark for the season.

While I agree that Frazier is one of the slowest on the team with a Baseball Savant rating in the 33rd percentile,  I don't know about Ortiz being "much faster".     MLB Pipeline rates Ortiz speed as 45 while is below average.   

Just saying.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree that Frazier is one of the slowest on the team with a Baseball Savant rating in the 33rd percentile,  I don't know about Ortiz being "much faster".     MLB Pipeline rates Ortiz speed as 45 while is below average.   

Just saying.

Ortiz is not that fast.  The scout Roch quoted the other day mentioned it.  I think he probably covers more ground defensively than Frazier.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ortiz is not that fast.  The scout Roch quoted the other day mentioned it.  I think he probably covers more ground defensively than Frazier.  

I agree.   But there is probably a significant difference between Ortiz range and Mateo range at SS.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just saying.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ok, so apparently after 20+ years of you guys knowing my ability to scout, you both decide that you will go with "pipeline" lol and a quote from Roch on his speed. 

So since you don't believe me, maybe use statcast which doesn't lie. Although only a few bolts were measured, he has 79th percentile running. So while Ortiz has never been a base stealer, he covers 28.2 ft/sec vs Frazier's 26.3 ft/sec good for 31st percentile. 

He's much faster on the base paths pure and simple.

As for range, it's not just footspeed that determines range. first step quickness and reaction times are much more important overall on the infield dirt. Ortiz provides much better range than Frazier, who has been well below average range wise. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree.   But there is probably a significant difference between Ortiz range and Mateo range at SS.

I don't think there is a "significant" difference in range between Mateo or Ortiz. I'd have to look at the data provided by Fangraphs and Statcast, but I would give Mateo a slight edge, but not significant. Mateo has the better arm but Ortiz is more accurate and probably about major league average.

• Upvote 1