Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is a fact, and an undeniable one at that, except that we actually have the 2nd best record in the AL.

Frazier is 14th in the AL in WPA, and 2nd on this team. That means, by definition, that he has contributed heavily to our win total with his contributions at the plate. 

And yes, we all get that his overall batting line is league average. One would not expect a league average hitter to be such a major WPA contributor — and no one should reasonably expect Frazier to remain that moving forward if he stays near this level of performance. 

But in terms of what has happened to this point, he’s contributed substantially to the club’s winning.

Exactly..and thanks for the correction .. 3rd in MLB…although I think Adam continues to make significant swing adjustments and I would not be surprised if he hits for even more power in 2nd half.  
And I do twenty bows in front of his poster nightly as my contribution to our winning. 

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

And no one is saying you don’t have to take the defensive issues and hitting issues into account when looking at the total package. But WAR does take those into account.  I assume you would agree a clutch .5 WAR performer is worth more than a non-clutch .5 WAR performer. 

Yea and I have said time after time that he’s fine to be on the team. But being on the team and getting paid 8M and blocking far superior players is a different discussion.

I’m more than happy to have him be here in a limited role. I like his at bats in key situations and feel good when he’s up there.

There’s something to be said to have a veteran like Frazier. I get that Westburg and Cowser are our future but we need a guy like Frazier to produce this year if we have hopes for the playoffs and beyond. I for one hope he gets the majority of playing time for the rest of this season. 

Didn't get to watch last night then read the results this morning and watched the highlights. Figured, man that's got to be worth another three or four pages. (Still got my money on over 100.) The Book of Frazier is going down in the annals of Oriole and OH Lore. Love the back and forth. Hope the O's keep winning and Frazier keeps the dialog going by outperforming expectations. But I'm sure it will continue - regardless.😀

Frazier is now up to a .328 xwOBA. He’s been pretty unlucky with a .236 BABIP.  

I think the Orioles clearly identified something in Frazier’s profile that they thought they could change to unlock more power this off-season and that contributed to them signing him. I definitely thought it was a superfluous signing, and it still is in some sense with the prospects performing the way they have, but I am going to give the Orioles the benefit of the doubt the next time they “overspend” on a guy like Frazier or O’Hearn. They have consistently shown the ability to frequently get more out of players than what they’ve show in other organizations, and that’s the mark of the best run teams (and quite foreign to Orioles fans, particularly when it comes to pitchers…).  

Interestingly the issue with Frazier is his defense fell off a cliff after being a strong defensive player his whole career. Given he’s not quite that old yet where that is typical, you can hardly fault the Orioles for not anticipating that. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The Frazier signing had the potential to be terrible.   The 2022 version would have been a back hole in the lineup.   The 2023 version’s defense coupled with the 2022 offensive version would have been a disaster.   As it is, Frazier has enough redeeming qualities, mainly the unforseen power, that I don’t puke when I see his name in the lineup.  But, no matter how many clutch homers he hits, I think we’re probably better with Westburg there instead.

Serious question here, because I'm not fully understanding it.  How is it that so many people on here just declare that Adam's defense is not good, and it becomes fact??

Here has two errors this year, 2 freakin' errors, and a .992 fielding % at second base, and a 1.000 fielding % in the outfield.  Okay, there was a ball that ate him up in NY that resulted in an eventual hurried throw by Gunnar, but honestly, what is it that makes him a bad fielder?  I'm assuming there's a metric, maybe dWAR or something like that?  Is the bad defense accusation actually supported by any statistics??  The ones I looked at don't support it, but I'm nowhere near as resourceful as many of you on here.

1 hour ago, Os4days said:

There’s something to be said to have a veteran like Frazier. I get that Westburg and Cowser are our future but we need a guy like Frazier to produce this year if we have hopes for the playoffs and beyond. I for one hope he gets the majority of playing time for the rest of this season. 

Their hopes hang on Adam Frazier?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

For those of us who prefer rWAR or are agnostic between the two, rWAR likes Frazier much better than fWAR and has all season long.  And, there’s the fact that Frazier has hit extremely well with runners on base and in high leverage situations, which is irrelevant to calculating WAR but has significant real world consequences.  He’s second on the team in Win Ptobability Added.  So in my mind, fWAR understates the value that Frazier has had to this team.   I’d still rather have given his PT to the younger players, but I don’t think he’s quite as easily replaceable as you think.  

Yes, but your facts don't really matter to some people.  A poor decision is just a poor decision, because it was declared so.  

6 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Serious question here, because I'm not fully understanding it.  How is it that so many people on here just declare that Adam's defense is not , and it becomes fact??

Here has two errors this year, 2 freakin' errors, and a .992 fielding % at second base, and a 1.000 fielding % in the outfield.  Okay, there was a ball that ate him up in NY that resulted in an eventual hurried throw by Gunnar, but honestly, what is it that makes him a bad fielder?  I'm assuming there's a metric, maybe dWAR or something like that?  Is the bad defense accusation actually supported by any statistics??  The ones I looked at don't support it, but I'm nowhere near as resourceful as many of you on here.

His OAA on Statcast Outs Above Average Leaderboard | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com) lists him in the bottom 5 in all of MLB, ranked 253rd in fielding on the season with a -10. He is rated the lowest 2B on there. 

Some other defensive metrics dont rate him that badly, though his foot speed on savant also has declined.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

His OAA on Statcast Outs Above Average Leaderboard | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com) lists him in the bottom 5 in all of MLB, ranked 253rd in fielding on the season with a -10. He is rated the lowest 2B on there. 

Some other defensive metrics dont rate him that badly, though his foot speed on savant also has declined.

Some people don’t wanna hear it. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Great…but he has also largely been an out machine with poorish defense. So while the clutch hitting is nice (and why I want him on the team over Mateo and a few others) it doesn’t mask all the other issues with his game.

Please define "poorish defense".  I get it that he's not Mateo, but what makes you say that when again, his fielding percentage does not support it?  Serious question, and not trolling, is there a defensive ranking or stat that indicates that he is poor defensively this year?

34 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Say what ya want about the guy but he is clutch. He’s had to have had as many if not more big hits for the team as any body else. 

Yes, but that doesn't matter.  He's being paid $8M and is blocking someone, and the only place where that is acceptable is in Football 🤓   Just kidding.... I couldn't help myself.......