Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

I tend to think sometimes certain pitchers looks more presentable to an umpire. Last night both teams had more than 5 pitchers enter the game and we never got the calls the Yankees were getting. The catcher framing stuff does not make sense because the umpire is supposed to make the call where it crossed the plate. Jose Trevino is a “great” framer but that’s just because last night umpire was horrible.

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I tend to think sometimes certain pitchers looks more presentable to an umpire. Last night both teams had more than 5 pitchers enter the game and we never got the calls the Yankees were getting. The catcher framing stuff does not make sense because the umpire is supposed to make the call where it crossed the plate. Jose Trevino is a “great” framer but that’s just because last night umpire was horrible.

Just another argument for roboumps

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

About what I expected for accuracy, but I am surprised the bias wasn't more in favor of the Yanks. I don't know how a strike in the bottom of the first can be more impactful than a bad call in the bottom of the 10th.

That's crazy that this was considered a good game for this guy!

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

About what I expected for accuracy, but I am surprised the bias wasn't more in favor of the Yanks. I don't know how a strike in the bottom of the first can be more impactful than a bad call in the bottom of the 10th.

That's crazy that this was considered a good game for this guy!

I think it might have been a bases-loaded situation but I honestly can't remember. It felt like a 2012 game that lasted 5 hours and I can't remember what happened lol. In any event, the cumulative +TotFav for the Yankees continues to increase.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I think it might have been a bases-loaded situation but I honestly can't remember. It felt like a 2012 game that lasted 5 hours and I can't remember what happened lol. In any event, the cumulative +TotFav for the Yankees continues to increase.

First time in a while I can recall Hyde being visibly upset. And he was absolutely right. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

The impact is based on the difference in run expectancy. It's true that calling that strike to Trevino ends the 10th with no more runs and seals the game, but the result of the call was leaving him at the plate with two outs, none on, and two strikes, so the Yankees are still unlikely to score runs (and in fact they didn't). If LeMahieu isn't punched out in the first inning with two runners on, the Yankees have a pretty decent chance of scoring runs there. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The bad calls are graded based on changes in run expectancy, not win expectancy.  So, inning is irrelevant.  Also, they’re graded based on changes in expectancy for the next pitch, not based on actual results.   So, if a 1-2 pitch that was a strike is called a ball, the change in run expectancy will be the same regardless of what the batter actually does from there.  

• Thanks 1

As badly as Povich was drowning early, by the 2nd inning last night there was a level at which I felt almost no amount of makeup calls would be too much.

He could have been gone 40 pitches deep in the first inning with the score like 5-1, and then what's our pitching staff's condition today?

It is fun to watch MLB bats getting used to his curve having some misreads when he can bring it back ball to strike to the high outside corner against a right-handed batter.     He didn't get it all the way there on that key LeMahieu pitch, but close enough for the ump.