Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

4 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I followed the game on Gameday and then caught some of the replay later that night and this is essentially exactly what my eyes told me haha. Good to see my eyes weren't fooling me.  

I was thinking same as I was watching the game, "i'm really curious to see what the umpire scorecard says tomorrow." It confirms my suspicions that as usual, we get the Boston/New York favored zone.

The missed third strike on Justin Turner in the 8th inning was one of the worst calls I've seen. He got lucky with the pitch clock strikeout to Devers but Baker gets out of that inning without giving up a run if that's called correctly. 

Three most impactful missed calls all went for the home town Red Sox and against the visiting Orioles. I wonder if there's a correlation between significant missed calls and A) impact to the home team, or B) impact to certain teams (you know who) regardless of the home / away factor. Somebody could probably get their doctorate by crunching those numbers. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I guess you guys are missing the fact that it was a pretty good game called by the umpire, according to these numbers. 

While I was pissed at the Ball 4 for Turner, as a former ump, I thought Barksdale was pretty good overall.  

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess you guys are missing the fact that it was a pretty good game called by the umpire, according to these numbers. 

Just as relevant is that he had a good game for a human ump and still gave the Red Sox +1.27 expected runs.

"He came || this close to flipping the game to the other team with several key missed calls, but you know what, for an ump that's a pretty good job!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't miss many but the ones he did were impactful.

It would be interesting to see if umpires have a tendency to "choke" in big moments.  Comparing their overall accuracy with those "impact" numbers (though I don't understand how those numbers are calculated anyway).

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Somewhere between 90% and 95% of pitches are obvious balls or strikes, so home plate umps with scores in that range should be the norm, rather than something to be admired. If this is your profession, and you've been doing it for 20 years or more, it's fair to judge not only what mistakes you made but when you made them and which team benefited. Considering the circumstances, the three most impactful missed calls were terrible and all benefited the same team. Maybe if the system went deeper into the ten most impactful missed calls things would even out, but we'll never know. What we do know is that the evidence provided shows the ump's most egregious errors were all advantageous to the big market team playing at home.