This is a young team. It's time for the coaching staff to step up.

Jim'sKid26

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The worst thing about yesterday’s loss is all of the silly reactionary stuff I have to read on here after it.   So, the coaches are good when our guys make the plays but now maybe they’re bad after 2 days in Boston?   It’s dumb and I’m commenting.  Don’t like it?   Too bad.

So, I responded to your condescending initial reply of "Seriously?  LOL" with a reason for my thoughts. I basically gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to further the conversation. Then you follow with a sarcastic reply about coaching. Then you call me "dumb."  What's your problem? I don't post here to offend you. I'm just hoping for a bit of conversation about my favorite team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s ok to be concerned about both. Quite frankly, I don’t know how anyone couldn’t be after the first two games. 

That said, I think the outfield defense is likely to be corrected rather than the pitching coming around. 

The thing is, there was plenty of reason to be worried about the OF defense heading into the season.

Now, I doubt it will be as abysmal as it has been but below average? Yea I can see that especially if they don’t want to play Stowers more often.  Hays saw a drop off, Vavra isn’t likely good enough, Mullins has no arm and Santander has an arm but nothing else.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So, I responded to your condescending initial reply of "Seriously?  LOL" with a reason for my thoughts. I basically gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to further the conversation. Then you follow with a sarcastic reply about coaching. Then you call me "dumb."  What's your problem? I don't post here to offend you. I'm just hoping for a bit of conversation about my favorite team. 

You said if I didn’t agree with you, I shouldn’t reply to your thread.  That’s why you got the follow up.  I don’t know if you’re dumb.  You’re probably smart.  Questioning the coaching because of these two games is dumb.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing is, there was plenty of reason to be worried about the OF defense heading into the season.

Now, I doubt it will be as abysmal as it has been but below average? Yea I can see that especially if they don’t want to play Stowers more often.  Hays saw a drop off, Vavra isn’t likely good enough, Mullins has no arm and Santander has an arm but nothing else.

I have heard or read a few times that Gibson will be much better because he is coming to a team with  a much better defense  Maybe more about the infield defense but two gsmes is too early to  judge  anything. Don't think they are going to average nine runs s game or steal 810 bases.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you watch any games last year where Mullins showed great improvement in arm strength?   Mullins is a plus CF.  It’s arguable but most see Hays as at least average.  Santander is below average but he’s not a butcher.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Did you watch any games last year where Mullins showed great improvement in arm strength?   Mullins is a plus CF.  It’s arguable but most see Hays as at least average.  Santander is below average but he’s not a butcher.   

Mullins is a plus CFer, never said different but his arm isn’t that good. It’s not Ellsbury bad but it’s not that great. Teams will run on him.

OAA had Hays below average, as did other defensive stats. Even if you want to say he’s average, that’s still not great and doesn’t figure to get better as he gets older.

Santander isn’t Berroa out there but he’s not good. He shouldn’t be out there unless there is an emergency. 

29 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The missed catch is the obvious problem, but had they been able to pitch even a little bit, and the game would have been different.

I'm far more concerned about the pitching than I am the outfield defense.

I said the same yesterday. Devils advocate for a moment.. I know it's early starters still have to be built up a but and we are missing Givens and Tate. But the pitching is a BIG concern right now. This team is not gonna continue to score 8 9 10 runs a game. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is a plus CFer, never said different but his arm isn’t that good. It’s not Ellsbury bad but it’s not that great. Teams will run on him.

OAA had Hays below average, as did other defensive stats. Even if you want to say he’s average, that’s still not great and doesn’t figure to get better as he gets older.

Santander isn’t Berroa out there but he’s not good. He shouldn’t be out there unless there is an emergency. 

DRS had Hays above average at 3.  If you want to use OAA then Santander was average in RF last year.  His OAA was 0 and his DRS was 3 in RF last year.

Cedric Mullins had 9 outfield assists last year and started 4 DP last year which matched his total career in assists and doubled his career DPS.   Anyone who watches Oriole baseball saw the improvement and his arm was no longer the liability it once was.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins has speed and experience but his arm leaves much to be desired. He will get to most balls hit in his direction. He's a adequate defender. 

Santander should be DHing.

Hays is fine in LF but has declined in recent years defensively. His arm is fine but defensive stats are telling.

Should we expect Stowers, Cowser or Haskins to be better?

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

DRS had Hays above average at 3.  If you want to use OAA then Santander was average in RF last year.  His OAA was 0 and his DRS was 3 in RF last year.

Cedric Mullins had 9 outfield assists last year and started 4 DP last year which matched his total career in assists and doubled his career DPS.   Anyone who watches Oriole baseball saw the improvement and his arm was no longer the liability it once was.

Improvement and being good are 2 different things. 

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This thread doesn’t get made if McKenna catches that fly ball yesterday. 

It’s my understanding that by the time these guys reach the majors, they’re adept at such simple things and the coaches exist for “fine tuning” and advanced concepts.  I don’t know what coaching could have prevented that error yesterday. 

IMO, it sits squarely on McKenna’s shoulders for looking away at the last second and not watching the ball all the way in. FWIW, I always thought “two hands” was overrated. Ball hits the heel of your glove and pops out, it’s probably not gonna matter if you had your free hand up there or not. 

Mindfulness practices as a means of enhancing awareness and concentration are used with airline pilots, neurosurgeons etc .  Not sure if each player gets any training or support in this or just has developed their own pre pitch mental cue routine. 
Seeing the ball coming to me, seeing it land in my glove prior to each pitch enhances awareness.  Even more important when in a critical situation of the game .. to breathe and focus even more 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Mullins has speed and experience but his arm leaves much to be desired. He will get to most balls hit in his direction. He's a adequate defender. 

Santander should be DHing.

Hays is fine in LF but has declined in recent years defensively. His arm is fine but defensive stats are telling.

Should we expect Stowers, Cowser or Haskins to be better?

Defensive stats are telling?  A OAA of +9 and DRS of +5 last year tell you that Mullins is adequate?