DL Hall 2023

justD

25 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

First inning:

2Ks & a ground ball out.  hard fast balls and a nasty slider.  No one is catching up with the fastballs.  Lot of weak swings. 

Second inning:
3-0 to a k on first batter. Blew first batter away with FB.  No mph readings tonight :(

2-0 to 2-2 then a soft liner to RF.  FB looks pretty strong.  A lot of swing and miss/weak contact. 

Struck out 3rd batter on a FB. 

Struck out 4th batter.  A lot of strikes.  Complete domination.   Will him come out for a third? Edit: Nope he’s done.  One of the most dominant pitching performances I’ve seen in a while.  I think he’s fixed lol.  

Put him in the bullpen in somewhere in front of Bautista. If he can avoid walks I would think he can help shorten games

11 fastballs, 94.4-97.8, avg 95.8. That’s about his MLB velo last season. Also got 3 whiffs on 7 swings. 

14 changeups with 3 whiffs on 5 swings as well.

Extremely encouraging outing. Surprised they had him throwing so many pitches but I guess they want him to knock off the rust. If he can maintain this velo through multiple appearances we should see him back in the majors in short order.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:
Top Pitch Velocity MPH
  60?circle=true DL Hall 98.0
  60?circle=true DL Hall 97.8
  60?circle=true DL Hall 96.8
  60?circle=true Hunter Greene 96.7
  60?circle=true DL Hall 96.7

Well, I guess we can stop worrying about what happened to his velocity.  I guess the O’s knew what they were doing when they sent him down to Sarasota.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Of course we shouldn't, because they should have...

Developed a highly regarded prospected that they inherited into an asset on the ML roster by now?

Managed his recovery from injury better?

It kinda seems like they were throwing stuff on the wall to see what stuck.  Why didn't they have him lift more earlier in the season instead of sending him out there with reduced velocity?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Developed a highly regarded prospected that they inherited into an asset on the ML roster by now?

Managed his recovery from injury better?

It kinda seems like they were throwing stuff on the wall to see what stuck.  Why didn't they have him lift more earlier in the season instead of sending him out there with reduced velocity?

Deloading is a thing.  Hitters use heavy bats (overloading) and light bats (deloading/underloading) to increase bat speed.  Pitchers do the same thing with weighted balls to increase arm speed.  From what I've read (which is probably nothing in the grand scheme of things), maintaining the increased speed is easy.  But rebuilding it a second/third time takes longer.  I don't think they correctly anticipated the recovery effort/time it would take plus thought some could be regained during the season.  

I do give them praise for realizing whatever the original game plan was wasn't working and that they needed to change directions.

Personally, I had written off 2023 for Hall.  And was leaning toward writing off Hall completely.  Seeing him touching 97-98 MPH is something to be excited about given his recent struggles and prior year promise.