Dylan Beavers 2023

RZNJ

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why was that snarky?  I mean, I understand that 75% of @Can_of_corn‘s posts are some level of snarky, but this just seemed like a genuinely helpful tip.  It was news to me that BB-ref accepted nicknames.  

As an aside, I was playing Immaculate Grid yesterday, and I needed a player who played for both the Red Sox and the Giants.   The Panda came immediately to mind, but it took me like 20 minutes to dredge his actual name out of my memory banks.  Getting old sucks!

I felt and still feel that the ‘you know what’ part of his post was very snarky. If I’m the only one on that island, I’m perfectly fine with that. 

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting article on Beavers and the process of reworking his swing that he's been going through since he was drafted. Reading it makes me wonder if other guys (like Fabian) are struggling with some of what Beavers struggled with. 

“I’d say I was just tired of taking at-bats where I’m not really even concentrated on the task at hand,” Beavers said. “I was not having success, but more so that I wasn’t even really giving myself a chance to have any success because I was not locked in and focused on kind of competing and hitting what I’m given. … I just kind of decided, I’m going to pick an approach and a process and stick to that throughout all of my at-bats, see how it goes. It definitely has given me the opportunity to have more success.”

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Dude is hitting .338 with an 873 OPS at AA and no one seems to even notice. 

I’ve noticed.   He just turned 22 this month.   Just waiting for the power in the form of home runs.   Another top 100 prospect at some point this off season or next year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve noticed.   He just turned 22 this month.   Just waiting for the power in the form of home runs.   Another top 100 prospect at some point this off season or next year.

He really got his season turned around starting about June 10.   He had a .674 OPS at Aberdeen at that point, then posted a 1.043 through August 1 to earn a promotion.  Now .873 in Bowie and .971 over the last 7 games.   

I figure he’s likely to begin 2024 at Bowie even if he finishes the year strong, but he could position himself for an early season promotion to AAA.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

He really got his season turned around starting about June 10.   He had a .674 OPS at Aberdeen at that point, then posted a 1.043 through August 1 to earn a promotion.  Now .873 in Bowie and .971 over the last 7 games.   

I figure he’s likely to begin 2024 at Bowie even if he finishes the year strong, but he could position himself for an early season promotion to AAA.

This is from the article I linked above....

Dylan Beavers already had a few hits. He still decided he’d had enough.

Aberdeen was playing at home, more than two months into his first full pro season. It was one that had been defined by near-constant changes to his swing intended to iron out some movement deficiencies and allow the Orioles’ prospect to get the most out of his power potential and plate discipline.

That work began the moment he arrived in the organization, was advanced in an offseason motion-capture assessment, and continued through the first two months of the season in Aberdeen. But all that, he was finding out, was the domain of the long hours spent in the cage and under the turtle shell before the game — not the game itself.

So, midgame, he decided to forget all of his swing cues and be as early on the fastball as possible, just to see what would happen. He homered and doubled in his last two at-bats that day and hasn’t cooled off; since that June 13 game against Brooklyn, Beavers has a .983 OPS with 23 extra-base hits and 34 walks against 40 strikeouts in 224 plate appearances — a stretch that included him being named the organizational player of the month for July and earning a promotion to Double-A Bowie.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, baltfan said:

He is a very interesting athlete.  Looks awkward at everything he does..

Goofy is the word I use to describe the way he runs and moves.  But who cares as long as he gets results?  Shawn Marion had the ugliest jump shot in history, yet scored over 17,000 points in the NBA.

20 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Goofy is the word I use to describe the way he runs and moves.  But who cares as long as he gets results?  Shawn Marion had the ugliest jump shot in history, yet scored over 17,000 points in the NBA.

Jamaal Wilkes might have something to say about this. 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:07 PM, baltfan said:

He is a very interesting athlete.  Looks awkward at everything he does..

9 hours ago, yark14 said:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...