Dylan Beavers 2023

RZNJ

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fangraphs has Beavers just ahead of Cowser.  You need to use plate appearances, not AB’s when calculating strikeout rate.  Cowser was around 27% at AAA.  Beavers was just a tad over 20% at AA.   The strikeout rate is a concern with Cowser but the bigger concern was the damage per contact at the ML level.   He’s a very productive AAA hitter.   He needs to translate that in the majors.  

I thought I was! Lol. Some sites list PAs on the left and some ABs. I didn't notice that MiLB uses ABs.

• Haha 1

I wouldn't be shocked if Beavers' ranking/projections are all over the map heading into 2024.  A+ numbers look good after a slow start.  AA numbers look Babip induced.  2 HRs in 157 PAs isn't 'textbook' 60-70 grade power. But doubles become HRs, as they say. 

Take this as you will, but FG's speed factor rates him faster than Fabian as well.  Mentally, I keep thinking Fabian/EBJ is the CF heir apparent.  But maybe Beavers gets the first crack at it...

He didn't do enough to pop off in the national pubs.  But there's enough smoke under the hood to be a sleeper.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Beavers' ranking/projections are all over the map heading into 2024.  A+ numbers look good after a slow start.  AA numbers look Babip induced.  2 HRs in 157 PAs isn't 'textbook' 60-70 grade power. But doubles become HRs, as they say. 

Take this as you will, but FG's speed factor rates him faster than Fabian as well.  Mentally, I keep thinking Fabian/EBJ is the CF heir apparent.  But maybe Beavers gets the first crack at it...

He didn't do enough to pop off in the national pubs.  But there's enough smoke under the hood to be a sleeper.

Supposedly a 5 tool player with 30 homer power.  The big question was if he could hit enough.  So far, so good.    

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Supposedly a 5 tool player with 30 homer power.  The big question was if he could hit enough.  So far, so good.    

I wouldn’t say so far so good given the .157 ISO at AA has to cause some pause for your hopes in the power department. But it’s definitely gone well as well as we could have hoped in terms of hit tool, K/BB, BABIP (and presumably then hard hit rate). 

I like Beavers a lot and think he’s going under the radar. But I’m really hoping that lack of AA power output is some small sample HR/FB noise and not symptomatic of a lack of game power. Given the draft scouting report there’s plenty of reason to believe it’s just noise. If so and the power starts showing out next year and he keeps his progress elsewhere moving forward, he’s going to shoot into the top 100 ranks quickly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Beavers is not a major league CF prospect in my opinion. Unless he improves a lot, I just don't see the jumps and routes or foot speed to play there all the time. Fill in, maybe.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Beavers is not a major league CF prospect in my opinion. Unless he improves a lot, I just don't see the jumps and routes or foot speed to play there all the time. Fill in, maybe.

That likely means he will have to hit for power to make it as a COF. Big year next year for him.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He's been playing mostly RF.  Does he have the skill set (reads/speed) to play LF in OPACY?

To add value in our LF, he doesn't have to be a masher.  But he does have to contribute.  And the current bar (Hays) is solid all around.

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

He's been playing mostly RF.  Does he have the skill set (reads/speed) to play LF in OPACY?

To add value in our LF, he doesn't have to be a masher.  But he does have to contribute.  And the current bar (Hays) is solid all around.

Maybe? He runs gangly, kinda like Nolan Reimold so maybe he's faster than he appears. I know he's stolen some bases but to me, he looks like he has average speed at best. That's probably enough for left field if he can get good jumps and improve his routes.

Combining doubles, triples and homers, it looks like it works out to:

38 XBH in 311 PA at Aberdeen

14 XBH in 134 PA at Bowie

Overall it fell a couple percentage points, and doubles to homers ratios fluctuating can have a big effect on SLG or ISO.

It perhaps feels like another case of an Elias Bat "hitting polite" while they acclimate to a new level....strikeout rate wasn't too bad, and that is a good marker.

• 2 months later...