It feels like the Orioles are not quite sure what to do with themselves

interloper

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Again, do you really think the Orioles are trying to contend this year? 

There were many moves the Orioles could have made to try to contend this year including signing free agents and trading for players. There are like two hundred threads about those possible moves. But instead the Orioles were very cautious and made a couple of very small moves. They are treading water while they evaluate players and more home grown players develop. 

Which starting pitcher would you like to have on a multi-year contract right now - Rondon? Bassitt? Taillon?

This team will be ready to contend once Bradish Grod and altleast one other starter steps up to give us a rotation that goes into a series and you think we have a better three guys going then they do.  So far we have 1 start from GRod and 1 inning from Bradish.  We just need to hang around long enough to get some younger guys experience and not get too far behind because then the pressure will get on other teams.  We are still playing with house money this season and trying to figure out who will stay longer and who will get shipped off.   That includes the major and minor league teams.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

For me at least, it would show that they actually cared about winning.  That is the big thing for me.  At the end of the day, I want ownership and the front office to care as much about winning as I do (which is a lot).  And I have not yet been able to shake the feeling that they just don't give a crap about anything other than payroll, profits, and stockpiling low cost prospects.  Hopefully they will prove me wrong.  

I share some of your concerns, but I do think stockpiling low cost prospects is a good thing for a team in our market.  However, the problem I have with the front office is they don't seem to have a plan for these prospects once they're major league ready.  Either play them and let them take their lumps and figure out who is a keeper, or trade them while they still have value.  If we're really going for it then sign one or two impact FAs and trade some prospects for major leaguers.  Or, if we're still rebuilding or going the Tampa route then play the prospects and extend one or two young stars.  At this point, it seems the FO is content to sit on the fence and shoot for .500.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Which starting pitcher would you like to have on a multi-year contract right now - Rondon? Bassitt? Taillon?

What are you talking about? I said the Orioles did not make moves to contend this year in reply to your post.  What’s your point? My point is that the Orioles do not really consider themselves a contending team and their actions and non-actions support that hypothesis. Are you trying to say that there was nothing the Orioles could do to improve the team? 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

What are you talking about? I said the Orioles did not make moves to contend this year in reply to your post.  What’s your point? My point is that the Orioles do not really consider themselves a contending team and their actions and non-actions support that hypothesis. Are you trying to say that there was nothing the Orioles could do to improve the team? 

Yes. That is what I am saying.

Spending money foolishly on free agents does not improve the team. 
If there was a potential trade out there that you know about that would have made us better - please share.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes. That is what I am saying.

Spending money foolishly on free agents does not improve the team. 
If there was a potential trade out there that you know about that would have made us better - please share.

You are being silly.  You criticize starting Gunnar Henderson versus a left handed pitcher because that’s not what that the Orioles should do if they are trying to contend this year according you you and then you start this nonsense. 

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m not sure why people keep bringing up the team’s record since the OP was clearly referring to the FO processes and lineups. They seem to have no plan for integrating this top rated prospect class into Baltimore. It’s almost like they’re upset the team got ahead of schedule last year. 

Or, maybe their plan is to let these things work themselves out over 162 games.   It doesn’t bother me that we have some major-league ready prospects sitting in AAA.  I watched Don Baylor and Bobby Grich wait a long time for their oppprtunities.  I’d rather have that problem than have a situation where someone gets hurt and there’s nobody competent to take their place.   

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

For me at least, it would show that they actually cared about winning.  That is the big thing for me.  At the end of the day, I want ownership and the front office to care as much about winning as I do (which is a lot).  And I have not yet been able to shake the feeling that they just don't give a crap about anything other than payroll, profits, and stockpiling low cost prospects.  Hopefully they will prove me wrong.  

This x1,000!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with the Orioles that a very few more talented baseball players would  not cure overnight. Like a real  MLB Starting Pitcher or two and one or two better offensive players  So four or so,  would solve the majority of their problems.  It is not like previous years  when  they needed  nearly everything and nearly everybody needed  to improve.    Even without this needed improvement, they are giving the best teams in the Division all they can handle.  And again, they do not need 3 or 4 HOF's,  but that would be nice,  just a few slightly improved vs. what they presently have.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Or, maybe their plan is to let these things work themselves out over 162 games.   It doesn’t bother me that we have some major-league ready prospects sitting in AAA.  I watched Don Baylor and Bobby Grich wait a long time for their oppprtunities.  I’d rather have that problem than have a situation where someone gets hurt and there’s nobody competent to take their place.   

If that’s the plan, why did Stowers begin the year in Baltimore? 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

So optics + vibe > results? In nine games, four of which the O's won and one of which they should have won if not for a weird error? Against the Sox and Yankees? With FOUR of their best 13 pitchers out with injuries?

The 26th player on the roster is incredibly irrelevant. Bemboom can rot on the bench for a few days, which is basically what the 26th player is going to do until someone gets banged up. 

I didn't say it was more important. But I mean the record does reflect the vibe right now, too, so. 

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

To be realistic. The Orioles have the type of prospect surplus to acquire just about any starting pitcher available. 

We have too many prospects and not enough placing to play them. AAA is loaded and the Major league infield is already overcrowded to the point where your #1 prospect cannot get consistent reps at the same position.

What was the point in stock piling if you are not willing to use excess assets to acquire the additional pieces that you need to complete a roster that contend for a pennant?

How many exploratory/experimental years are we going to waste not moving forward or at least picking a direction? We can’t hedge our bets forever.

In this division and in the AL period. I don’t see a one-sided approach that limits talent acquisition to drafting top positional prospects as being sufficient. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m not sure why people keep bringing up the team’s record since the OP was clearly referring to the FO processes and lineups. They seem to have no plan for integrating this top rated prospect class into Baltimore. It’s almost like they’re upset the team got ahead of schedule last year. 

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. What is the plan? They might know, but it doesn't feel like they know. The roster is kind of weird, and the decisions have been a little haphazard IMO.

Does everything feel better if the players were performing better? Sure. But they aren't doing that. So my OP is really just about this current team feeling a bit nebulous after 3 series. A lot of that can change by stringing together some good games and by the core veteran group getting it together. But until that happens, it's hard to not view this team as a bit awkwardly put together. 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If that’s the plan, why did Stowers begin the year in Baltimore? 

Right, like was there a miscommunication between Hyde and Elias? Couldn't Hyde have been like, just FYI, I plan to play Vavra and McKenna over Stowers most of the time?