It feels like the Orioles are not quite sure what to do with themselves

interloper

I think I get the feeling OP is talking about, although it's probably a different list of bullet points. I don't really care about Franchy going off on us, and I'm satisfied with Hyde's explanation on Bemboom/O'Hearn (waiting to get through the four straight lefties makes sense). 

My take on the season so far is we have a bunch of versatile guys capable of playing multiple roles, but as a result we haven't really jelled yet. It feels like management doesn't really know who our top 10 guys are, so instead of making a decision and sticking with it, it's a different lineup every night. Guys are probably pressing to make the most of every opportunity. As a result it just doesn't feel like the guys are playing with confidence right now. 

Also, the underlying issue is our pitching isn't that good. We kinda already knew that, but that's the elephant in the room. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I think I get the feeling OP is talking about, although it's probably a different list of bullet points. I don't really care about Franchy going off on us, and I'm satisfied with Hyde's explanation on Bemboom/O'Hearn (waiting to get through the four straight lefties makes sense). 

My take on the season so far is we have a bunch of versatile guys capable of playing multiple roles, but as a result we haven't really jelled yet. It feels like management doesn't really know who our top 10 guys are, so instead of making a decision and sticking with it, it's a different lineup every night. Guys are probably pressing to make the most of every opportunity. As a result it just doesn't feel like the guys are playing with confidence right now. 

Also, the underlying issue is our pitching isn't that good. We kinda already knew that, but that's the elephant in the room. 

Yes. Nailed it with that middle paragraph. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The solution is simple. Trade Holliday for an ace. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

If All of our pitchers were healthy, who would you take in a playoff series the Yanks rotation when fully healthy or ours? What about us against the Guardians? The Mariners? Rays? Astros?

The only playoff caliber team that if fully healthy we might be able to compete with us the Jays. Maybe?

I was talking about the Orioles performance in their first nine games where they went 4-5 while missing four important pitchers (three that were expected to start the year with the team and one that got knocked out of the game by a come backer). I definitely do NOT think the current Orioles rotation or team in general is ready to seriously compete for the playoffs. I think this team is more talented and deeper than last year's team, but overall is a team that will tread water until more of the young players start blossoming. Unfortunately the Orioles are going to have to wait on Grod, Hall, etc., to ripen before they have a rotation that can compete with the teams you listed. Same really for the rest of the roster. I don't think the Orioles are going to invest in serious upgrades in terms of pitchers or position players until the roster has more impact young players. So I think the team is a year or even two away from the Orioles spending any real money and even then it won't be a crazy amount of money. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Also, the underlying issue is our pitching isn't that . We kinda already knew that, but that's the elephant in the room. 

It feels like our SP should be stronger than last years team though. Lineup just has too much depth. A trade or two would fix that. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I was talking about the Orioles performance in their first nine games where they went 4-5 while missing four important pitchers (three that were expected to start the year with the team and one that got knocked out of the game by a come backer). I definitely do NOT think the current Orioles rotation or team in general is ready to seriously compete for the playoffs. I think this team is more talented and deeper than last year's team, but overall is a team that will tread water until more of the young players start blossoming. Unfortunately the Orioles are going to have to wait on Grod, Hall, etc., to ripen before they have a rotation that can compete with the teams you listed. Same really for the rest of the roster. I don't think the Orioles are going to invest in serious upgrades in terms of pitchers or position players until the roster has more impact young players. So I think the team is a year or even two away from the Orioles spending any real money and even then it won't be a crazy amount of money. 

We're 9 games into the season.  No impactful trades are happening anytime soon.  The best thing for us would be for Bradish to look like how he was pre injury.  Then we we can potentially fix middle relief with one of Wells, Kremer, or Grayson.  I don't think that is too drastic to root for.  

We need to show who we are this A's series.  They just put their "best" hitter on the IL.  The other teams get paid too(barely) but we need to really build some momentum this series.  Especially at home.  The bats need to wake up.  The pitchers should be able to navigate this A's team's lineup to avoid the bullpen having to get 12 outs a game.  We battled with three tough/healthy teams.  Now it's time to let the cream rise to the top.  

17 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I truly hope this is not the approach that is be undertaken because there is a tremendous chance doing things that we that we will always be the dog chasing it's tail.

Waiting only makes sense when you have time. When you have an owner expressing serious apprehension about signing your best player to an extension who has 5 years of contract remaining, that tells me that if we want to seriously win we need to do so while we still have him.

Side note - I think any approach to contention that includes DL Hall as a top of the rotation piece beating our competition in big games is extremely hopeful and optimistic at best. What is the plan if he does become a true ace? More punting of more seasons, while the clock tics on Adley and Gunnar?

49 minutes ago, now said:

Sorry to have to repeat this point: It's no knock on Adley, just a built-in handicap when your best player is a catcher. Yes he may be the best in the game at his position, but the hidden cost is having to allot significant AB's for a backup catcher and a roster spot for a third-string catcher.

For an analogy, what if your best starting pitcher could only pitch 4 innings/start or 100 innings per year? He might be the best in the game, but his ceiling is effectively lowered by the limit on innings and the extra tax on the bullpen. 

It's baked into the Orioles roster for the long term now, so we have to live with this hidden downside of having your superstar and franchise player playing behind the dish. But who knows, maybe Rutschman is so unique that his total skills package makes up for the handicaps. 

I understand, but I still don't think that necessitates carrying a third catcher. They didn't do it last year, and I don't remember the Mauer Twins or the Posey Giants ever doing that, although I could be wrong about those teams. I know it's a 26-man roster now but surely there is a better use for that spot than Bemboom.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HandsomeQuack said:

I understand, but I still don't think that necessitates carrying a third catcher. They didn't do it last year, and I don't remember the Mauer Twins or the Posey Giants ever doing that, although I could be wrong about those teams. I know it's a 26-man roster now but surely there is a better use for that spot than Bemboom.

I just think running into the three lefties led a bizarre situation.  

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I truly hope this is not the approach that is be undertaken because there is a tremendous chance doing things that we that we will always be the dog chasing it's tail.

Waiting only makes sense when you have time. When you have an owner expressing serious apprehension about signing your best player to an extension who has 5 years of contract remaining, that tells me that if we want to seriously win we need to do so while we still have him.

Side note - I think any approach to contention that includes DL Hall as a top of the rotation piece beating our competition in big games is extremely hopeful and optimistic at best. What is the plan if he does become a true ace? More punting of more seasons, while the clock tics on Adley and Gunnar?

It’s not the approach I want them to take, but unfortunately I think the data (what they have done and not done) fits that hypothesis pretty well. 

It doesn't seem like the O's will spend on pricey free agents again until the team is sold -- unless the current squad, supplemented with a trade here and there, proves it can sniff the playoffs.  Until then Elias is probably trying to figure out who he should trade, among both the veterans and young players, for pitching.

This feels like about the start I expected, especially with Tate and Givens out.  While the realistic goal is the playoffs, there are still pieces that will be coming (Means, Hall, Ortiz, Westberg, potential trades) and others still learning at the MLB level (Gunnar, Grayson).  I think that’s why the stated goal is not the division.  

I’m looking forward to watching this team continue to grow and get better as the season progresses.